Places To Go

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 12:59
ThreadID: 32579 Views:2167 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this .
I have a small property on the Turon River at Turondale NSW near Sofala and Hillend . My neighbour and I have discussed opening up the properties to camping and 4wding . My neighbours place has excellent 4wd tracks and private river campsites . We were thinking charging $5.50 per adult per night and $2.75 per child between 6 and 15 years .( Includes GST ) Some 4wders have suggested it would be a great property for 4wd clubs to run training days as it has different grade hills and river crossings and spectacular scenery . If clubs were to use the tracks on the property for training purposes we were going to charge $33 per day per 4wd ( Public Liability is very expensive )The only ammentities would be pit toilets ( for the time being ) but the campsites are level and right on the river but only accessable by 4wd , camper trailers can be towed in as well .
Setting up a website at the moment and are just feeling our way ( not very good at it ) www.geocities.com/kcsmithau/index.html
We thought we might offer first timers a $10 per night per vehicle offer so they can check the place out .
Whats your thoughts about this ?
Cheers
Ken Smith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rokkitt - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:44

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:44
Hi,

Well you have my attention, the fishing looks excellent.

I have noted your location into my mapping software so if I ever find myself out that I will give you a call.

Just one thing with the web site - the kangaroos can be very distracting when reading the terxt.

Rokkitt
AnswerID: 165261

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:11

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:11
I agree, sounds great! The 'roos are a tad annoying but!

Cheers
Scoey!
FollowupID: 420107

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:25

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:25
I agree, get rid of those pesky roos ASAP
FollowupID: 420114

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:27

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:27
Where do I sign??
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 165279

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:48

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:48
Its a huge undertaking . Not just getting people there but while they're there and cleaning up after em. But I'm not saying anything you don't know.
Re the page, you will need more pix of the area and camping ground. Add some more personal touches, to make people feel welcome. Offer discounts for clubs or whatever. Maybe throw in a couple of gas BBQ's so the vizzies don't burn you out. Pop a simple map on , WE ARE HERE. Invite a 4wd mag to play there for a weekend. Get feedback from visitors and publish it.
Personally I like the idea, but you have to be realistic.
AnswerID: 165283

Reply By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 17:54

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 17:54
Hi Ken

Dont forget to get any visitors to sign a form exempting you from any damages pesonal or equipment wise. Its a sad fact to bring this up but some people go out of there way to seek money from others.
You may want to add a clause to protect your own propety from fire damage etc.

I have friends with some great 4WD tracks and scenery and people trash the place and its private land ! Some fencing to protect delicate areas may be needed unfortunatley

Sounds and looks like a great place though. Good luck to you in your endeavour.
AnswerID: 165331

Reply By: Member - Andy Q (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:56

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:56
G'day Ken S, Looks great, that area has great tracks(I lived in Mudgee for a while). Just wondering what the local shire says about the 'buisness', what with river crossings and the like, are you responsible for the downstream silt and pollution.
What about the neighbours further downstream?
Goodluck
andy
AnswerID: 165360

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:50

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:50
Go for it,

We loved our last trip to the area despite the large huntsman that dropped onto the bonnet then ran up the windscreen to the roof with 6 windows open and the sunroof right back. DAD, DAD, DAD STOP NOW. Everyone piles out and dad looks for the spider. No sign of her so back into the Paj with all windows but the drivers wound up tight. 10 minutes later the spider runs down the side of the open drivers window ... more screams but this time the spider is safely returned to the wild.

Well at least I still laugh about it!

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 165499

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 10:14

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 10:14
That's a top idea ken. I think it may be a little cheap actually but with very basic facilities I guess it's could be right.

The first thing you need to consider is how much insurance is going to cost you. Someone mentioned that you need people to sign disclaimeners. While these are great and buy the lawyer that wrote it a nice holiday, they are usually not worth the paper they are written on. Judges will usually dismiss them.

You generally can't sign away your responsibilty of keeping (stupid) people from hurting themselves. It puts judges and lawyers out of work and for some reason they don't seem to like that.

So check how much insurance will cost, it could be well over $50 000 a year or as little as $1000.

Cheers.

R
AnswerID: 166119

Sponsored Links