New Jeep Grand Cherokee vibrates and smells

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 15:59
ThreadID: 32589 Views:2555 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day
I recently purchased a Grand Cherokee Diesel. Almost immediately I noticed a vibration, a couple of tyres were changed but vibration unchanged. It seems to be consistant through all speeds and very high frequency ie had something sitting on the seat today and the speed it was moving on the back rest was very fast. Its only noticeable on a smooth road.
Anyway, so far the response from jeep has been that it is a "characteristic of the vehicle". Well not a characteristic that should be in a 60k vehicle IMO. It has been noticed in other diesels but no other owners have complained, apparrently. Both the diesels they had in stock were driven after I raised the issue and found to have a similar vibration.
The service manager at my dealer will be looking into it next week so I will be awaiting the result with baited breath.
Also noticed a smell when towing my boat (only short distance) that smelt like gas but couldn't have been, this occurred in numerous locations on several different days and no gas in car. Could have been some kind of oil smell.
Anyway, I'll keep you all informed, but so far the "official comment" (not service manager) is not at all encouraging.
cheers
Rod
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 16:46

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 16:46
Rod,

Interesting. I've had my 3.0 CRD Grand Cherokee Laredo for 7 months now and not a wobble or vibration anywhere. I've lifted it 50mm and drive characteristics didn't change. Beautifully smooth at all speeds I drive at.

I also tow a heavy off-road caravan as well as a camper trailer and haven't noticed any unusual smell either. Of the 21,500kms travelled to date 6,500kms has been towing one or the other.

I'll follow your progress on these issues with interest - please keep the information coming.

AnswerID: 165311

Follow Up By: woddonnee - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 16:59

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 16:59
G'day Kevin
Thanks for the feedback, I hope my problem will be quickly resolved, though I have already spent around 6 hours going back and forth to the dealer and tyre place and more to come. not what is expected in a new vehicle.
On a different topic, you mentioned the good fuel economy in my previous thread, was it good from the start or was there a run in period where economy was not so good? eg mine gets (if I drive really gently) 14L per 100k's around town, where my 3L patrol used 12 with any driving style. On a recent trip towing my boat the Jeep used 17L per 100 where the Nissan used 14L. Hopefully this will improve as things loosen up?
On a positive note, the power of this 3L crd is incredible, no run up needed to overtake towing my 1.5 tonne boat :-)
cheers
Rod
FollowupID: 420164

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 17:33

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 17:33
Rod,

My fuel consumption has been good from the start. Overall average is 12.03 L/100kms. Typical around town is between 10.5/11.5. Towing the CT ranges from 11.5 to 14.5 depending on road and weather conditions. 11.5 is at 110 km/hr on freeway, 14.5 was into a headwind at 110 on freeway. CT weighs 1,500 kg when travelling. Caravan weighs 2,000 kg in travel mode and worst consumtion to date was 15 L/100kms Canberra to Tumut on Snowy Mountains Highway.

And yes, isn't the power amazing. Biggest difference I noticed was on the Snowy Mountains Highway with the caravan on the back - left my previous 4.2td GU Patrol for dead in the performance stakes und used 25 litres less fuel at the same time. Overtaking is great (can do it now while towing) and it gets away at the lights pretty smartly too.

Cheers

FollowupID: 420172

Follow Up By: woddonnee - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:10

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:10
Thanks Kevin
Those certainly are great figures. I hope the jeep people are being honest sayiing that the figures will improve and that what I am currently getting is normal for a new engine. My patrol was great from day 1 also. Any others know wether I can expect improvement and will it be significant?
cheers
Rod
FollowupID: 420286

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:42

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:42
Evening Wod.

I have an 05 KJ CRD, however before I go any further, have you owned the subject vehicle from new???
AnswerID: 165432

Follow Up By: woddonnee - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:46

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:46
G'day Lucy
Yeah, bought it new, its just one month old. When it was 1.5 weeks old some brain surgeon ran a key or similar down the side just to add to the fun. Grrrrrrr
cheers
Rod
FollowupID: 420293

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 00:04

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 00:04
The reason I asked the 'new' question was just to determine your 'corporate knowledge' of the vehicle.

I had a 2.5in lift kit put into my KJ a month or so ago and I was advised by the JEEP service dealer to go to a particular supplier/installer of these lift kits because JEEPS are allegedly notorious for their engineering approach to the drive train, in particular the tail shafts.

The all vary individually from good to bad re ballance and vibration.

The service manager (Nissan/Jeep/ Renault dealership by the way) stated that most fall within the acceptable parameter, however some a re so 'out' that they need remedial attention from new.

He further stated that any lift , whether suspension or body, had the propensity to alter the tailshaft alignment to such a degree, as to make the vehicle shake/vibrate.

The remedy for it is to get someone who knows what they are doing to drive it, diagnose the problem and then pack the transmission down accordingly.

Mine appears to Ok.

AS to the burning smell - possibly OEM paint and surface oil burnung off in the engine bay.
FollowupID: 420583

Follow Up By: woddonnee - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 00:15

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 00:15
Thanks for the info Lucy
Much appreciated.
cheers
Rod
FollowupID: 420585

Sponsored Links