New GU Details.

Submitted: Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:01
ThreadID: 3259 Views:1752 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
The new nissan diesel 4.2 IC as reviewed in 4X4 Aust. out now

has the same power at 114kw but more torque (360 compared with 330)

Talk about a let down....

RIP Nissan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:31

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:31
Truckster,
I prefer that rather than them anouncing a brand new beaut 4.2 direct injection and IFS.... (as Toyota did)
Seriously though, I had my reliable sources and I already knew, the change is mainly to keep it in the aussie market as pollution regulations are tightened up.
The intercooler allows them to restrict emissions more without gaining/loosing power and gaining a little torque.
Will
AnswerID: 12651

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 15:02

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 15:02
Lets be honest, to keep it in the Aussie Market? $$ will be the only winner for Missan now. The less $$ it costs over the Cruiser will win lots over..

The 4.2 is still one of the most bullet proof motors out there, dont get me wrong, I was thinking they could actually get some HP out of them.. I know of a few 4.2's with 175-200kw! Nissan come out with Bzzzzzzzzzz.....

Why did they bother upgrading, and why the secrecy? were they ashamed of their mistake?

In the same mag, they show the new 5.6V8 in the USA in a NIssan ute which 'is the basis for the next Patrol'...

Now thats the ONLY thing that would make the GU a serious contender instead of cheap.. Same ol' same ol' isnt going to work..

The intercooler didnt do much.. And no direct injection, but the fuel is computer controlled... So you get a puter anyway.

Look at the VW Golf... It can punch out 160KW out of their 1.9l turbo diesel.. Thats lots less than a 4.2!
FollowupID: 7407

Follow Up By: Michael - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 16:30

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 16:30
Will, I ve gotta say the thought of IFS worries me to , i'm happy with my current GU's ride. But i think it has to come especially now with everyone it seems,saying how wonderful the Landcruiser is, also winning the 4x4 Aust award a day or two ago. Michael
FollowupID: 7409

Follow Up By: Michael - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 16:30

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 16:30
Will, I ve gotta say the thought of IFS worries me to , i'm happy with my current GU's ride. But i think it has to come especially now with everyone it seems,saying how wonderful the Landcruiser is, also winning the 4x4 Aust award a day or two ago. Michael
FollowupID: 7410

Reply By: Michael - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 16:23

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 16:23
Hi Truckster, I'm actually happy, same donk , more torque, No major electronics , same style pump. Bullet proof donk, just the sort of thing you need in the bush. Maybe id think different if i was looking to buy a new Boxter or something swish. I think they will use this for a stop gap and when they are ready for a major up grade still within the same basic body, they will be ready with a new motor. It still has got me a little confused why they havn't done something major as they make many truck motors for the world market. You have to remember the Patrol and Land cruiser market is very very small world market, maybe the development dollars are not there for such a small market. The last body shape lasted 10 years , even though there was a heap of changes to all areas on the vehicle. Toyota is not considering a totally new vehicle till 2006, so i can only assume Nissan will be around the same time. Still no definate relaese date for the current new model i notice.
Regards Michael.
AnswerID: 12664

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 18:08

Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 18:08
Michael...

Well if your happy with the power, you could by a GQ... theres not much difference.

Look at ALL the opposition now, Paj, L/cruisers prado, etc etc..

They all put out impressive power... And each one is an improvement. Well technically, IFS is a disaster waiting to happen!

Have a look at the Nissan Titan 5.6 V8 JUST released in USA.. Now that would have rocked the planet if that was the suprise upgrade! I would mortgage the house for one...

The Titan it says in an article in 4x4 aust is the basis for the next patrol in few yrs, but I'll shag the queen and her mum if it makes it here with a 5.6 V8 in it!

Titan 5.6-liter DOHC 32-valve V8 (300+ hp, 375+ lb-ft of torque)
FollowupID: 7431

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 19:53

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 19:53
I must say I'd be a little peed of if spent over a grand to put an I/C on my gq and only get a 10% increase in torque. I thought you would at least get 10% on the power(kw) as well. Disapointing alright!
RIP Nissan is a little harsh though Truckster. Andrew...
AnswerID: 12676

Follow Up By: Diamond - Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 14:57

Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 14:57
RIP Nissan is a little harsh though Truckster
what an absalute let down nissan. cruiser looking better now was waiting to see what nissan came up with im with you truckster
R.I.P.NISSAN
FollowupID: 7428

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 18:03

Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 18:03
Andrew, you should get 10% on power and torque...

Nissan just have no idea since Renault bought them out...

talk on the patrol list is down too

one guy drove a new GU Ute yesterday... Not impressed... :(

Oh and Ferntree Gully Nissan have them in stock... and will for a while I would guess!!!

Another reason one bloke has said they waited is they have NOW sold out of all 4.2TD stock at Nissan so you have no option but the new lemon
FollowupID: 7430

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 22:30

Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 22:30
HI Truckster, i was only thinking about the ownership of Nissan , Renault must be most conservative car company around, just have a look at all the nissan range of cars,BORING may be a good word.. Regards Michael.
AnswerID: 12770

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:41

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:41
Agreed....

BUT.....

Only on the Aussie market. Look at Nissan overseas, they get the SWB GU in NZ, why not here, they have the Titan, and LOTS of stuff.

Look at the grey import market here at the moment, Skylines, stuff like that, and they are selling faster than they import them!! If Nissan did that imagine hwo much $ they would make.... Then there would be the parts backup for buyers too!
FollowupID: 7452

Follow Up By: Michael - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 10:56

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 10:56
I didnt know there was a shortie, i was looking at the new FJ 40 concept in the 4x4 oz mag, Toyota will really start knocking the socks of Nissan if they get the shortie here. Nissan and know doubt Renault, are too conserative. I dont think Toyota have all the answers nor the products BUT whatever toyota do, a lot of people embrace their products. They definately have a better image than Nissan, largely because their company is "out there". Nissan seem to sit back with their hands in their pockets, fiddling, if you know what i mean.. Michael
FollowupID: 7456

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 23:31

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 23:31
Dont tell me you think that gay blue thing from the USA which is a MIRROR of the new Willys jeep (look at it from side/back/top/etc...... would do any good.,

if thats the future of 4wds Im keeping the GQ!
FollowupID: 7566

Reply By: Shep - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 21:15

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 21:15
I think Nissans doing alright , I heard through the Toyota grapevine that Toyota stat`s state that only 1% of their 4x4 sales will actually go off road so they are prepared to put up with the 1% of dis- satisfied customers . So There are the one that say that they are tuff ( King off the road ? ) and those that are tuff.
How many time have you read 4.2 nissans are "bullet proof"
Shep
AnswerID: 12922

Sponsored Links