Pathfinder 17" rim tyres

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:15
ThreadID: 32613 Views:7093 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone fitted AT tyres to their Pathfinder 17" rims ?

It currently runs Goodyear Wrangler HT, not a bad tyre but they howl a bit when turning sharp on the black stuff. Obviously not good for offroading.

If so what brand ,has it affected handling or noise.
I used to run BFG ATs on my Troopie and got 90 K from both sets and was very happy with them.
Going by BFGs web site it shows they dont make any for 17" rims yet. ( Well it shows the size but it has - - - - - - - through all the boxes )
I have seen Prados with BFGs on 17"

Any users on the The Cooper ATR on 17 " ?
Most tyre vendors want to sell me HT of whatever barand will fit. By fitting ATs would that affect my warranty?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: marklynn - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:23

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:23
TPM,
I've got the ST which has 16" wheels. Drove mine straight from the yard to the tyre dealers & had Bridgestone AT 694's fitted. Excellent tyre. Had the same brand fitted to my previous vehicle....STR Navara. One of the reasons I went for the ST was the 16" wheels...better choice of tyres & less money

Mark
AnswerID: 165401

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:31

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:31
yeah i weighed that up against the other options that I wanted and decided on the ST-L. i figured most manufacturers are switching to 17" these days and wouldnt have to wait too long. The tyre companies here in Aus are a bit slow to respond. You can get a wide range in the USA or Europe.

I really want BFGs or Coopers. Still a few miles in these OE yet.

Cheers
FollowupID: 420271

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:56

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:56
A lot of guys on lcool list run ATRs in 265/65/R17 and 265/70/R17
most are pretty happy with them

AnswerID: 165415

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:59

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:59
Thanks Stan

I will check out that site ; )
FollowupID: 420282

Reply By: Darren C - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:33

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:33
Am running Cooper ATR 265/70/17's on the Patrol if that helps - have done 20,000 kms with even wear all round - more than happy with them but they do put your speedo 3kph out. Great on sand, but havent done too much rough stuff

Cheers
AnswerID: 165442

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:47

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:47
3 Klicks out is better than changing a flat, I do alot of sand stuff so thats good to know : )

Thanks
FollowupID: 420311

Reply By: DavidT - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:00

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:00
Hi

What are your thoughts on the new pathfinder, have you towed with it yet and have you taken it off road?

would love to know a heap of feed back on it.

regards
Dave
AnswerID: 165482

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 16:47

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 16:47
G'day Dave,

Well Dave I had a 87 HJ75 4.0L Diesel Troopcarrier for years and thats what I traded in for the Pathfinder. So for me to change to something like the Pathfinder is a big difference. I think I could of changed to a fridge door with wheels and it would feel very different to drive.
Of course the biggest difference was how it drove on the black top, from sloppy live axles to wishbone suspension with precision steering. I clocked up 350 K on the troopy and it never let me down once, on or off road. But when I got out of the truck like cab I felt stuffed. You really had to " drive " the Tojo. With the Pathfinder you jump in cruise on and you arrive relaxed.

I am extremely impressed with the Nissan, the 2.5 TDI is a unbeleivable engine !
The torque is the most amazing thing, with 400nm its so easy to drive. I can drive up Noarlunga hill in top gear ( 6 manual ) at 110 khm no problems, I am sure it could do it faster than that. I have fuel economy figures of 9.4L / 100 K driving sensibly and 10.3 with a lead foot and thats in Adelaide. The best I have medium camp loaded is 750 kms range with two adults.

I have had it in very soft beach sand, up steep dune tracks, and thru deep mud. It hasnt gotten bogged yet. In low range 1st it is very capable. Obviously I dont have the same suspension articulation as the troopy, but I have negotiated all the same tracks I did in the troopy. This is with HT OE tyres

Really I think Nissan put togethor a good package ( with the TDI 6 speed manual ) Its obviously not going to suit everyones taste. I love how versatile the interior is, after the cavern of space in the troopy I have surprised myself with what I can fit in. The floor is completly flat with all the rear seats down. Sometimes too musch space is bad. you carry stuff you never ever use.
It does need some improvements to make it a better fourby.

Replace the plastic bash plates with alloy or steel
Second or larger tank, if the spare is taken out lots of room there.
Suspension upgrade. , better coils and shocks.
Second Battery room underneath the floor.
AT Tyres
Protect Intercooler from rock / stone damage

Basically I love it ! I miss the troopy heaps though ( especially in the rough stuff ) But I think that was because of all the years I drove them at work. I knew them inside and out and had confidence in their abilities. While the Pathfinder its new and a unknown, its always in the back of my mind " will something break and strand me "
But thats life unknowns. My wife also loved the troopy but I was always worried when away at work with her driving such a big vehicle. She love the Nissan now.

Crikey ! I just wrote an essay !! I better stop. if any one has question just ask and I will answer.

Cheers TPM

FollowupID: 420474

Reply By: hoyks - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:25

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:25
I don't know of anyone changing their tyres on the R51 yet, but have a look at Pathfinders club of Australia Forum (blatant plug ;-) ) as the name suggests, we have a few Pathie owners on our forum. A few of the guys with the R50 model run Coopers or BFG’s and they might also appreciate your input.
AnswerID: 165656

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:53

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:53
Thanks Hoyks,

I have been trying to find that site, nothing on google comes up.
Thanks for the link !
FollowupID: 420539

Reply By: DavidT - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 06:38

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 06:38
Thanks for the info pls keep us uptodate with any mods you do, i am pretty sure you can get a bilstien upgrade for these vehicles and were would you think of putting the 2nd battery aparently tjm have a set up under neath the car near the prop shaft this would worry me re water crossings plus just getting crap all over it from track or mud work
Regards
Dave
AnswerID: 165748

Sponsored Links