Places to go in and around Ballina NSW

Submitted: Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:06
ThreadID: 32633 Views:5905 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

I'm going to Ballina over easter, and was wanting to know of any good places to go off road in or around Ballina NSW.

Thanks
Dave.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:00

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:00
Lovely spot Ballina, get a map from the tourist place down near the wharf on the river (where elsewould you put a wharf Fawlty). Lots of hinterland drives & some beach driving...Have a feed of fish & chips too at the place on the wharf...
AnswerID: 165515

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 12:29

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 12:29
Dave, not offroad but wander up through Lennox to Byron Bay. Great drive, great spots.
AnswerID: 165566

Reply By: flappa - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 13:51

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 13:51
There's not a lot of 4wding around Ballina. Few beaches South of Ballina that you can drive on.

The closest I can think of is up around Lismore . . . I think its called Mebbin National Park now ??? . Out towards Nimbin.
AnswerID: 165586

Follow Up By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 02:35

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 02:35
I was at Mebbin NP yesterday and surprise, surprise, National Parks have locked up nearly every track.
FollowupID: 420601

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 17:12

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 17:12
I am going from Brisbane to Lake view Caravan Park at Woolgoolga and intend exploring the country around the Nymboda River
If thats to far for you
1.Good run up from Grafton on the old grafton Road along the River through the Old Convict Tunnel
2.Also take the Summerland way and head up into the Border Ranges National Park for a good day trip and great views of Mt Warning.
3.Same Summerland way but turn South on the forrestry route that takes you up towards Tunumbar Dam and South to come out west of Grafton.
my no is 0438602533 and you can giveme a call on Monday
AnswerID: 165614

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 03:21

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 03:21
Agree with Flappa in regards to 4wding near Ballina. The beach driving is pretty good though. Presuming you don't know the area, to get to the beach head Sth out of town turn left at the Big Prawn and follow signs to the ferry. Across the river take the first left to Sth Ballina and follow the road until you pass the caravan park and the road turns to gravel and there is a track off to the right that takes you to the beach (if you keep following the gravel road you end up at the Sth wall of the river mouth which is a beautiful spot). The beach is quite long and runs all the way to Evans Head although closer to the Evans Head end is a section that is impassable called coffee rocks which is pretty amazing. It's actually not rock but compressed vegetation.
There's a few state forests around that have some tracks through them but it depends how far from Ballina you're willing to drive. Heading South you need to go past Woodburn about half way to the Iluka turn-off and there are tracks to the right.It's called Tabbimoble SF and Devils Pulpit SF. Another place is past Lismore on the road to Kyogle just after a place called Bentley. It's off to the right called Bungabbee SF. Also Whian Whian SF which is West of Byron Bay is beautiful and Minyon Falls there is worth the walk. It has been about 4 years since I lived in that area so I'm not sure about access to any places I've mentioned including the beaches. Besides that, driving in the hinterland is great and there are excellent sights to see. Have a great time!

AnswerID: 165743

Sponsored Links