Engel Fridge (40L) Maintenance

Submitted: Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:36
ThreadID: 32640 Views:12501 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Dear people, my fridge engel (40L) runs fine but is making a louder groaning noise on running the motor. It is 4 years old and I was wondering if this is just what happens. Is there any maintenance required or recommended.

ta
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:06

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:06
Not a lot you can do I would have thought, here is the USA website guide to maintenance, but nothing that addresses noises from thge motor. Unless something has come loose causing the noise.

Site Link

This refers to the lubrication of one moving part. Perhaps this is it..!

"These state of the art Engel refrigerators owes their high performance, efficiency and durability credit to it's unique and patented Swing Motor compressor. The technology behind the motor and associated resonance characteristics resulted in a very high power output. Since the motor has only one, self lubricated, moving part, it requires no maintenance for the life of your refrigerator. "

Speak to the Engel people to see what part this is..
AnswerID: 165540

Reply By: Gerry - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:25

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:25
Hi,
Firstly check that it is not simply a pipe vibrating. The other relatively common thing that happens is the small fan can vibrate if it gets a dust buildup on the blades. The fan only runs when the compressor comes on so it can soundlike the compressor. Most later models have the turbo fan fitted.

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 165543

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:28

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:28
No Maintenance usually required apart from stocking it with delights. If yours is emitting a groaning noise and not a vibration noise then I suggest it requires the help of a serviceman.
AnswerID: 165545

Reply By: Strawb - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 16:25

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 16:25
While you guys are talking about Engel's, I thought I would add my bit. Back in Feb this year I went on a 7,600klm trip to Uluru, Simpson and surrounds (ex - Brisbane). Of course it was hot and most day's were around 40 degs in the car (did not use A/C). I found on this trip a way to greatly reduce the heat build up in the Engel (40L). It was by putting a 12VDC 80mm fan (ex Computer power supply) under the mesh of the cover, near the top of the engel. If you have no cover just cable tie it there, but allow it to SUCK the hot air out of the engel. (Blowing in does nothing) Running this fan (which by the way only pulls .12A) gives a THREE Degree DECREASE in the inside temperature so that made it work much less during the day and kept the beer cold which I must admit was the whole purpose.
AnswerID: 165609

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 18:14

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 18:14
It may need some swing motor bushes.
I put mine in for a service last year before our big trip as it was rattling on rougher type roads. They replaced the bushes and it has been great ever since.
The engel service agent said he never has a drama with them.
Hope this helps
120scruiser
AnswerID: 165624

Reply By: VK3CAT - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:10

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:10
Are you sure that the noise is comming from the compressor motor & not the fan?
Cheers, Tony.
AnswerID: 165653

Sponsored Links