Role Reversal

Submitted: Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 17:14
ThreadID: 32647 Views:1711 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,

Well I took what I thought was an early retirement today and finished with the ambulance service after 25 years. I was in a very senior position and after a lot of thinking, my wife and I decided that it was time to get out. I was pretty tired of all of the politics in the job and I was also physically tired as well. I was working 60 to 70 hours a week plus being on call for emergent situations 24x7, so after a lot of years of this I have had enough. Always will love the job though.

I have been fortunate enough to be in a position to get out at 46 and our plan was to do some serious travel both in Australia and abroad, but you know what they say about the best plans.

So along comes our two sons who are electricians by trade and have a very good business operating which is going through some expansion at present, and they have asked me to do some work for them. I can't say no as I am really keen to help them out but I must admit it is going to seem funny after Easter when I start working for them both.

I reckon they will get their revenge for all of those things that happen when kids are growing up.

I know bugger all about electrical so you never know they may get rid of me under the new Industrial Relations laws. Which reminds me maybe I will have to negotiate a workplace agreement with them. That should be good??? Apparently I will be doing most of their office based work and helping out with ordering gear etc.

To be honest even though we were really looking forward to some travel etc immediately which is now on hold for a bit, I am pretty excited about doing this with the boys. It just shows you though, you never know what is around the corner.

If we are lucky I think we will grab a week on Moreton Island before I start with them.

Have a good weekend.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddies Doe(Trippn) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 17:43

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 17:43
Hi Brian
My personal thoughts, you and your wife should have your holiday first, don't put it off!
You have worked long and hard and this is NOW your time to reap the rewards of your dedicated hard work.
Then come back and help the boys out with periodic holidays as you wish while you do help them out.
I'm sure they can last a few weeks, months longer until you are at the helm?
As you have stated.......you never know what is around the corner!
Those are wise words.
Good Luck with both adventures and what you choose to do in the end.

Cya
:)

AnswerID: 165618

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 18:00

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 18:00
Brian, congratulations on two fronts:
1. Being in a position to retire early and actually doing it.

2. Being invited by your sons to help them in their business. But 'helping out' should not be a long task. If it tooks like taking longer than a couple of months, you are back to being an employee again. Probably at much lower pay. You might as well have stayed where you were.

Like you, I was in a position to retire early and left the rat race at age 48 (three years ago). I spent the first 18 months renovating and extending our house (we moved back to Qld when I retired and bought a place on the Gold Coast). Over the first 2 years I had a number of job offers, including a move back to Melbourne with a higher salary than when I left. On one occasion I thought about it overnight before rejecting it. All the others I knocked back immediatly. I left work for a reason (stress, little time with family, too much time spent travelling for business etc). Within 12 months, I felt 10 years younger and people said I looked it as well.

Don't mean to tell you my life story, but it emphasis my point. Help the boys and have fun doing it. But stick to your plan. Retire, travel, do your own thing. Don't let the boys dictate your future.

We head off in a few weeks on our biggest trip yet; 16 weeks. We have so many places we want to go in Australia, I just hope I live long enough to do it all. Start early, or you might miss some of it.
AnswerID: 165621

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 18:57

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 18:57
In the 80's I took the family around Australia. I wasn't waiting for retirement, as you dont know what is around the corner. We ended up going around five years later. We were short on time and money but we had a ball.
Later I had to medically retire and although I can get around (just), I am still so glad that we did it then instead of waiting.
As an ambo you know that life hangs by a thread and the older you get, the thinner the thread. (cheerful buggar tonight aren't I ?)
Do what you want to do and dont worry about your boys. They'll understand.
AnswerID: 165632

Sponsored Links