Ball joint spacer lift - Hilux IFS

Submitted: Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:18
ThreadID: 32654 Views:8410 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Im going to fit a one inch ball joint and front diff spacer kit to raise my IFS hilux from the 2" height that it currently is to a 3" height to allow bigger rubber. Would anyone else know if Vic Roads would accept it...legally and also if insurance companies would hassle me about it.

Check out the following link, which explains what it is and how it works. Then get back to me with an opinion if you could.

Site Link

Thanks all,

TUFF_IFS_LUX
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:34

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:34
Don’t know but Supalift USA do a similar thing to lift the IFS on the Explorers by 4-inch by dropping the torsion bars, Front diff, and control arms with brackets.

I think anything you manufacture yourself you could have problems with but.
AnswerID: 165663

Reply By: Peter 2 - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 21:22

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 21:22
Might be worth getting an engineer to have a look as the load on the balljoint and the A arm has changed.
I'm no expert by any means but the further you shift the pivot point (in this case the actual ball joint itself) from the A arm mounting point the higher the load on the A arm.
It may not be enough to worry about but if it was my vehicle I'd want it to be safe for my family and other road users.
It is probably an illegal mod without certification too.
Is the hilux drivetrain capable of handling larger tyre/wheel combos and is their fitment legal according to the tyre placard.
Might all be an insurance and rego nightmare.
AnswerID: 165677

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 23:37

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 23:37
The first thing Vicroads will look at is the increase to allow for 'big rubber'

You are only allowed to increase the diameter of the tyre by a max of 15mm over OEM specs.

and increase the width by a max of 25mm over OEM specs without an appropriate engineers certificate.

Change the Rubber AND the suspension, then I would respectfully suggest you are going to draw the ' crabs' something fierce if attempting to keep it legal.
AnswerID: 165711

Sponsored Links