The Story of Chubby 1914

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 23:09
ThreadID: 32692 Views:1366 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have found some info about the Smith Highway this afternoon ,I was talking to a Mrs Dal Campbell of an event that happened 1914. So been busy on the website so to read the rest click the url link ,
And we all think lifes tough today This should tug the old heart strings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The old Camooweal Road, known as Smith’s Highway winds from Cloncurry through the Argylla Ranges towards Mount Isa. Beside the road, just before it crosses a small creek, a tributary of the East Leichhardt River, on a small rise beneath a big bloodwood tree, lies a tiny grave.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
members.westnet.com.au/dtilley/chubby.htm
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bros 1 - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:06

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:06
Doug T,
A very sad and touching story Doug. Things are taken so much for granted these days, but the people of those times had it tough. There are plenty of stories of heartbreak and hardship of the olden times.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 165893

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:22

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:22
Yeh sure is rh, Dal also told me occasionly a 4x4 club passes by the grave and stop and clean up the weeds , I too have been there 4 times and done same,My next plan is to get some silver amd black paint paint and touch up the railings

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 420810

Reply By: Bros 1 - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:27

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:27
Doug,
Good on you, things like that need to be preserved for as long as possible. Although small, they are all part of our history.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 165896

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 08:14

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 08:14
There's many a lonely grave along Australian tracks. I always spare a thought for those who have gone before, and often wonder what their story is.
Doug, you've brought one such story to life.
Thank you.
AnswerID: 165899

Reply By: cokeaddict - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 08:47

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 08:47
Hi doug,
Thankyou for sharing that with us mate. As sad as it is, I enjoyed the read very much. As i read it, I tried to picture myself there at the time, Im sure i would have been way off the mark though. The hardships these people lived with day to day is just unimaginable to us, we can only think we know...but in reality most of us would fall way short of just how hard life was.

But the story does have a great ending though, It's so nice to know the remaining family still takes care of the grave. I hope that continues for a long time into the future too.
Thanks again mate... sometimes it really makes you wonder.
Ange
AnswerID: 165905

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 17:16

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 17:16
Doug, great bit of research and thanks for sharing the story. Hope I get to see the gravesite - will certainly stop.
AnswerID: 165970

Sponsored Links