snorkals-drain hole or not

Submitted: Friday, Jul 27, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 327 Views:2057 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We recently had a safari snorkal put onto a 97GQ TD Patrol. It has been collecting water in the filter and according to the company that fitted it dosn't need and shouldn't have a drain hole in bottom of filter tank/holder. We have seen later models of patrols with snorkals on and they have drain holes. My mechanic is ready to drill a hole to let water drain. Do we put a hole in or leave it? Any advice would be greatly apprecitated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Saturday, Jul 28, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 28, 2001 at 00:00
Michele,

If you go drilling holes you will lose your deep water fording capability.

The Safari snorkel should have a "mouth" fitted to the top of the snorkel that (supposedly) expels almost all of the rainwater taken in by the snorkel from drain holes around the neck fitting of the snorkel mouth.

So, check the fitment of the top of your snorkel. If this mouth is too tightly fitted and is blocking off all (or most) of the drain holes at that point then the rain will puddle at the bottom.

Hope this makes sense!

Joe
AnswerID: 805

Reply By: Tony- Tuesday, Jul 31, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2001 at 00:00
Michele, My LC80 series has a drain on the bottom of the dust bowl on the air filter box. It has a 'little rubber flapper sort of thing' that lets water drain out but seals when fording water deep enough to reach it. Go to a car yard and have a look. You may be able to get this bit from a wrecker and fit that to the bottom of your air filter box.
AnswerID: 812

Reply By: Lisa Ayoub - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2001 at 00:00
Michelle, I just got rid of my 97 TD Patrol with a safari snorkel. I know what your talking about and it is a bit of a problem with water collection. My only suggestion would be if you are going to fit a drain plug do it in the low rectangle collection thingy at the bottom of where the filter goes. Just make sure you have a good plug to seal it with when you drain the water from the air filter.
AnswerID: 1020

Sponsored Links