pda gps

Submitted: Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 16:17
ThreadID: 32745 Views:1607 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Do the portable pda 416 mhz gps navigater units do the same job as say a megallen?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 16:33

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 16:33
Yes - and probably more depending on what software and maps you run on it. PDAs do have limitations over "normal" handheld GPS though so keep these in mind e.g. they are not water/dust proof or as robust (drop a PDA and its more likely to break) and screens can be hard to read outdoors. Also they can chew battery power a bit more than handheld gps. I find a normal GPS gets and holds position fix better than the PDA also (though this is rarely an issue).

Main advantage of a PDA based GPS system is wider choice of maps/airphotos you can view while showing your location. I also find the software that you can use (e.g. OziExplorerCE) is also a bit more sophisticated and user friendly than that on the Magellan GPS itself or DiscoverAus. I use PDA almost exclusively - I have a Magellan also that I keep for backup or where I dont need more detailed maps/airphotos.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 166192

Sponsored Links