4WDing around Adelaide

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:33
ThreadID: 32778 Views:3446 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All

Well unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to escape heading down to Adelaide on the long weekend, I'd much rather be heading off in to the deserts or the Flinders but thats another story. As a consolation at least, can anyone recommend any decent 4WDing spots that are within an hour or so's drive from Adelaide.

Thanks in Advance

Snowy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:46

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:46
Snowy,

Publically-accessible places are pretty much non-existant within an hours drive. The odd one that existed before got closed due to damage.

If you just want some time walking in the bush, go south to Kuitpo forest or north to Mt Crawford.

If you want to travel a bit further away, go south to Deep Creek conservation park, or to Goolwa and you can drive along the beach.

I prefer to spend a bit longer in the car and head for the Southern Flinders and above.

Others may have some suggestions that I'm unaware of.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 166371

Reply By: Member - Craig D (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 09:31

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 09:31
I'll second Phil's choice of Deep Creek Conservation Park.
AnswerID: 166383

Reply By: 944runner - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 10:45

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 10:45
You can always go and have a little play down at the old Reynella Quarry, or if you are up for a full day drive then head up to Morgan.
As others have said that is about it around Adelaide without going to far away.
AnswerID: 166408

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 17:53

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 17:53
Access to Reynella is a grey area although i go there on a regular basis as it is 5 mins from home. The property owners turn a discreet blind eye to vehicles entering but won't officially allow access. Best not to go alone, especially if wet.
FollowupID: 421353

Follow Up By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:03

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:03
944runner

For someone from out of town, using a UBD Adelaide street directory, what road do I use to get in there? Is it a dangerous spot if you don't know the area (ie you could end up with your vehicle plunging off the edge of a man made cliff)?

As for the private property is it there a big sign saying "Trespassers Prosecuted" or something to that effect, or is it just a case of going through an unlocked gate?

Thanks

Snowy
FollowupID: 421357

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:13

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:13
No gates. My mate rolled a 60 series there and another dinged his roof and 1/4 panel on a tree just last week (80 series), I've slightly dinged the sills. It's easy to avoid damage but there is so much fun to be had pushing things a little too far sometimes. No unexpected drop offs though and plenty of safe fun to be had. The problem is when it rains the mud is very slippery and the ruts can be quite deep so getting stuck is not hard but a quick snatch and off you go. Ther are plenty of cars there most weekends, the regulars use Ch 10. Just watch out for dirtbikes.I'd rather not give directions but email me and I will

okane @ internode dot on dot net.
FollowupID: 421360

Reply By: Member - TPM (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 21:24

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 21:24
Port Gawler off of the main road to Port Wakefield has a moto cross track, I did a fourby course there for work years ago, They should be in the yellow /white pages
they also have go karts. You used to be able to play around out there.
AnswerID: 166543

Follow Up By: Trevor M (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 22:09

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 22:09
I called in there a while back to check it out and was told it wasn't for 4WD's, only bikes and buggies.

There is a stretch of a few k's out from Mt Compass behind Cox's Scrub NP that has a bog hole (dry when I went through a few weeks ago) and a creek crossing and a bit of rough stuff but a long way to go for a very short patch of road. Not bad when it is wet though. I did it in conjunction with the beach to the Murray Mouth from Goolwa Beach which together made an ok afternoon. You could also add in Deep Creek I guess which has great walks but the 4wd sections only last about 10 mins (stretching it). It depends on if you are after hard core or the scenery etc.

I can email gps co-ords if you want or track file.

Trev
FollowupID: 421458

Reply By: Dean (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:10

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:10
I use to ride my bike in that quarry about 20 years ago, I lived across the road then.
There were only a few goat tracks then. The recent influx of 4x4's certainly have created bigger tracks.
It seems if you're into playing only, the waverly ridge fence track seems to be getting alot of use lately, the coucil keep putting posts up and then someone knocks them back over.
Dean
AnswerID: 166639

Sponsored Links