Cooper ST's

Submitted: Friday, Jul 27, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 328 Views:2104 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at purchasing a set of Cooper ST's for my 80 series Cruiser for a pending trip around the Centre( Plenty/Alice/Ayres/Lake Eyre) Any experiences with these?? or does anyone think I really should be looking at something else.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MARK - Saturday, Jul 28, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 28, 2001 at 00:00
READ THE TRIP NOTES OF DAVID AND MICHELLE AND THE PROBLEMS THEY ARE HAVING AT THE MOMENT WITH THE COOPERS THEY ARE RUNNING.MY MATE WORKS IN A TYRE SERVICE AND TOLD ME THAT AFTER NOT TOO MANY KLM THEY WEAR FUNNY AND ARE HARD TO BALANCE. I HAVE BEEN RUNNING GOODYEAR WRANGLER A/T FOR QUITE A WHILE NOW AND SWEAR BY THEM.I'M ABOUT TO HEAD ACROSS THE PLENTY NEXT MONTH FOR THE THIRD TIME IN AS MANY YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS FROM THE GOODYEARS.AND THEY ARE AUSTRALIAN MADE USING THE DUNLOP ADVENTURER PATTERN.
AnswerID: 801

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Aug 05, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 05, 2001 at 00:00
What is the URL of the trip notes you refer to ?
FollowupID: 245

Reply By: Brian F Harris - Saturday, Jul 28, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 28, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Lyle..Jus got back 26-Jul 4500km Cairns,Gulf,BurkeTown,Hellsgate,LawnHill,Boulia etc,mainly 2 wheeltrax sharp gravel,corrugations(drop tyres to F-28 R-30psi) or shake to bits,our leader(A Pro) has Coopers on the Nissan Patrol TrayTop,coils.No puntures,wearing well.We were with Duncans Offroad,Brisbane.Saw a lot of Coopers on other real offroad rigs..All spoke well of them..Go Cooper..Rgs BrianHarris
AnswerID: 803

Reply By: Cairn Offroad Training & Turs - Sunday, Jul 29, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 29, 2001 at 00:00
I have had a set of Cooper ST on my 80 series and after 20k klms am very happy with them I have always used Goodrich AT previously and for the sort of work I do the STs are superior.
Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 807

Reply By: peter moyle - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2001 at 00:00
lyle i am only back from cape york a week, fitted st's just before i left. travelled 7,5oo km in 4 weeks. the off road traction compared to the cooper at's i had before is like chalk and cheese travelled the creb track and all the cape roughies, in mud the traction very impressive, no lug damage at all the only complaint i have is they have a lot of highway noise that i still have not got used to. my vehicle is a 2000 model 3.2 crew cab rodeo hope this may help.
AnswerID: 823

Follow Up By: Nicholas Cohen - Saturday, Sep 01, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 01, 2001 at 00:00
Just bought Cooper STs for my Landcruiser 100. I love them, but then again, the Grand Treks that were fitted as O.E. are the most useless tyres ever made. The handling of the Coopers on gravel and dirt is fantastic. Too early to tell about wear, and I'm selling the cruiser anyway, but I'll miss the STs.
FollowupID: 289

Reply By: Ray Kearney - Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00
Hi,

Hope you havn't brought them yet. Don't do it!!!. I had more troubles with them than I care to remember. Out of 7 tyres I had 2 major side wall blow outs, on with side wall buldges the size of your fist and 2 tyres each with 2 side wall splits that needed repairing for $30 each. I'll never, never but never buy Coopers again. I ended up trading them in (an expensiver exercise) and gone for BFG all terain and have had no further problems in 60,000klm. Roads travelled on the BFG's where far worse than the Coopers. But then again I'll bet there are some simialar stories with other brands as well.
AnswerID: 1044

Reply By: John - Thursday, Sep 13, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 13, 2001 at 00:00
Pulled into Birdsville mid June this year what do you think was thrown in the rubbish bin at the camping site?..... a Cooper ST tyre totalled! For heavens sake buy a proper heavy duty tyre if you are going to give it heavy work---these lighweight flimsy sidewalled fancy named tarmac tricksters are not made for outback Australia!!!
Get some 8 to 14 ply 7.50 x 16 split rims if you are going to do the real tough terrain that is out there, and do it in confidence! Unfortunately for those advert jockeys I have done some 98000 kms in the out back with one puncture only ( failed tube) and would never fit a tarmac tyre for the desserts!! Pressures at around 45 psi on gravel roads, down to 18 psi crossing the Simpson -- I have a Landcruiser 80 series
Remember that high pressures on tarmac give best MPG figures, and low pressures on sand give the best MPG figures!!!

John
AnswerID: 1070

Sponsored Links