Rear View Camaras

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:26
ThreadID: 32817 Views:1883 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I wish to install a rear view camara and monitor to my caravan & 80 series. Can anyone recomend a good brand and at what cost?

Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 10:05

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 10:05
Ray, some of THESE may be of interest to you... I can't speak for the after sales service but by the same token, I haven't heard anyone knocking them either...
AnswerID: 166625

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 10:55

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 10:55
Someone posted here the other day about a Chinese one for $130 - semed good - did you search ?
AnswerID: 166627

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:39

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:39
Ray, I bought a camera and monitor from Brash Imports about 6 or 8 months ago. I found David Brash to be very responsive. I sent him a couple of e-mail queries before I bought. No matter what time of day or night, I got a response within a couple of hours. Once he was in China and still gave me a brief response within hours and a follow up when he got back.

I got the monitor that clips over the rear view mirror and the infra red camera (the one that looks big in their web site). I installed it myself. Although the instructions are in 'Chinglish', I had no great difficulty. I took power for the camera from the parking lights, rather than the reversing lights so I can use it when driving forward. Just flick the parkers on.

I had a problem with the camera supplied. There is a switch on the back that reverses the image, depending on whether the camera is looking forward or back. I couldn't get it to reverse. When I contacted David Brash by e-mail he tried to help sort it out, then no questions asked, sent me a new camera. Since then I have had no trouble.

The monitor has provision for two inputs, so you can put one camera on the back of the 4B and one on the caravan if you like. The biggest benefit I find is reversing to hook up the trailer. I get within an inch now with no assistance.

I don't remember the cost, but it was under $300. I paid about $20 extra to upgrade to the infra red camera.
AnswerID: 166631

Follow Up By: G ajm - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:50

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:50
Do you have any links or email addies you can post. I like the idea of having it connected to the parkers instead of fumbling around for yet another switch
FollowupID: 421547

Follow Up By: G ajm - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:51

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:51
Never mind...I just clicked on the link Blues provided.
FollowupID: 421548

Follow Up By: Ray Bates - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:54

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:54
I already have a camara & monitor installed but it is sub-standard. Regarding power for the camara on the caravan I wired mine into the three way fridge line that is also hooked up to the ignition and the monitor comes on as soon as I turn on the ignition. Works fine except for the poor monitor
FollowupID: 421568

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:50

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:50
Do a search on Ebay under "reversing cameras" or similar. I bought one that is slimline larger screen and sits behind the sun visor, works well I actually have it rigged for dual positional operation ie on the back of the Jack for hitching and on the back of my Caravan for vision... Works very well, even at night hitching up is a piece of cake...Not sure how a small screen would be though....Mine cost me $177 post included along with an extra bracket and cable.
AnswerID: 166633

Reply By: Peter - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:10

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:10
Just fitted a camera to the Patrol. Did try a couple of cheapies first up but had a few problems with them. The main problem being that the monitor supplied was more suited to a TV system, it had only 1 AV input which required the monitor to be physically switched on and off. A box was provided for reverse and a second camera etc. but the mob couldn't provide a suitable monitor. Ended up going for a Poron system. The monitor is attached to the sunvisor which has the benefit on being able to be folded up to keep it out of the sun, and also away from prying eyes. A mini camera is mounted above the rear doors and is connected up to the reverse lights. A second camera is wired up for the caravan which connects to a trailer like plug on the bumper bar and then via a Woza cable which connects to another trailer plug on the van. I've fitted a switch on the dash so that I can switch between cameras or leave the reverse camera on permanently. All up cost was $728 (which included an extra 7 metre extension cable) and postage. Fitted perfectly first time so I'm happy with the price. You can buy the system from TJM but add another $100. Better off to deal with Poron direct
AnswerID: 166763

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:21

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:21
Ray I have been using a Poron colour infared system for some time now. This is very good and rated at IP60 so very robust and water proof. Infa red is best as it offers greater visibility at night than a normal reversing camera. The Poron system is designed for caravans, trucks and cars and comes with a LCD screen that can be mounted on the sun visor, passengers side works for me. You should be able to pick on up fitted for around $350. I have reversing radar on the Prado as well and the combination is fantastic.

Rob
AnswerID: 167841

Sponsored Links