Moreton Island Trip.

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:48
ThreadID: 32822 Views:2989 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We recently got back from our trip to moreton Island. I think It would have to be the best getaway from Brisbane within such a close proximity. 2.5 hours after leaving the Brisbane CBD we were at our campsite (1.5 hours of that was on the new MI Cat ferry)

As it happens the trusty Terrano became not so trusty the day before so we had to take the inlaws' Triton. It was certainly a different experince driving a petrol vehicle on sand.

We usually camped on the east side (ocean), but this time we had kids with us and were after the calm westside waters so we set up base between Cowen and Bulwer. There are some excellent, large, individual campsites spaced between 50 to 300m apart. So you there's no way you it can get too crowded.

We arrived two days before the school holidays started, and it seemed we were the only people on the island. On friday night one police car and an ambulance arrived from the mainland (for the easter break) and the cops performed some RBTs on Sat morning on the beach.

Other then a ghost camp at the neighbouring site there were no other camps around us within a cooee. Which was unbelievebale to us as we're used to the crowds at Cooloola and Fraser.

The western beach campsites are not protected from the westerly winds which were blowing for the first two days of our stay. On the third and fourth days the weather was absolutely perfect with the warm sun allowing us to take a dip in crystal clear waters of Moreton Bay with a few dolphins around.

Moreton is an excellent trip for those that just want to sit back, sip on a beer and enjoy the surroundings. I believe the large cost of getting to the island ($200) prevents a lot of the circle work, weekend warriers that you often get on other SEQ beaches.

Naturally, I don't want to talk it up too much because it may have consequences so I'll just say that it's a great quiet place to get away from it all for a few days and is within a stones throw of the city.

R
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Johno (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 13:52

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 13:52
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip Robak and that you were able to get that camp site CB7. I too can not sing the praises enough for Moreton, but frustrated that I can't get over there more often. There are just too many good destinations in South East Queensland that need visiting.

Good trip report, thanks for giving us details of whats going on, on the island. Not that people drink drive, but the warning on the RBT is good advice.

Johno
AnswerID: 166661

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 13:55

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 13:55
Thanks for the feedback; I've been considering Moreton for a while and the lack of 'weekend warriors' sounds like an added bonus.
AnswerID: 166664

Reply By: wheeler - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 14:23

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 14:23
SSSSSHhhhhhhh
Dont bloody tell everyone :-)

The fact is Moreteon is a horrible place ....sand flies the size of camels. Campsites the size of postage stamps....crap fishing.
Everyone should go to Northshore or Fraser instead.....much nicer.

:-)))))))
AnswerID: 166669

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:03

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:03
aaah, yes

I forgot to mention the sandflies, mosquitoes, millions of crabs on the beach so that you can't drive through, sand everywhere, bluebottles, dangerous waves and rips, sharks, the rust bucket they refer to as the barge, inaccessable places due to tides, sunburn, no doctor or pub and a total lack of facilities.

There. That should keep them away.

Speaking of lack of facilites. On our last day, I was sitting in my chair on the beach, in front of the tent, getting stuck into my beer when two young blokes walk along and ask-
"You know where we can find a shop?"
I say, " About a mile back from you came from. Up at Bulwer there's a shop."
Knowing very well that their idea of "shop" may be very different to what is at Bulwer, as your local Servo would have far more stock then this little island shop, I asked, "What are you after?
"Just some drinks. Oh well, It's the wrong direction anyway."
I was so stumped that they walked off before I had a chance to answer.

Now for those that don't know Moreton, the next "shop" in the direction they were going was about 30 km away at Kooringal (unless there's something at tangalooma other dolphins in a snowstorm thingie.) If they were looking for a "bottle shop" I don't think there is one on the island so I hope they hitched a ride otherwise it'd be a very long walk.

R.
FollowupID: 421599

Follow Up By: Member - Johno (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:38

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:38
The bottle shop and the shop are one and the same; milk and ice creams on one side and beer on the other at Bulwer.
FollowupID: 421697

Reply By: porl - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:01

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:01
I agree with Wheeler, huge sharks, horrible wind, no fish, sandflies, RBT's, it's a shocker. the post should be removed right now.
AnswerID: 166685

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:01

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:01
Thanks Robak,

Haven't been there for a few years and these posts remind me of what I'm missing. Almost made it this year but fellow travellers got put off by the barge fee (no we're not weekend warriors - but can see how that limits these people). Will make a bigger effort to check it out some time soon. So did you drive along the shoreline from the Tangalooma wrecks? Did this last time racing to catch the ferry from the wrecks but memory is fading and the tide was making it difficult.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 166686

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:16

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:16
Beatit

The barge fees have certainly delayed our trip there and you'd want to go for at least half a week to make it worth it. If it wasn't for the cost we'd certainly go more often. But you have to also weigh up the cost of going to places like Fraser. Over 4 hours of driving (for us) from the house to the campsite and lots of fuel (which is not getting any cheaper). To moreton, for most of the journey, you're sitting in the comfortable lounge of the ferry.

And.. we did go along the shoreline from the wrecks. You just have to take the Cowen bypass as the there is no beach driving in front of the town.

R.

FollowupID: 421609

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 16:39

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 16:39
Robak,

Pleased you guys had a good trip.

We're heading over for a week shortly and really looking forward to it.

Petrol was a bit different to what you are used to hey?

Have a good one.
AnswerID: 166713

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)