Camper trailer from a Falcon Ute Idea

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 16:34
ThreadID: 32832 Views:5546 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I am not into four wheel driving, I love my highway speeds, fast cornering on bitumen, unsealed road driving, track days, long distance driving in comfort. Infact I just love driving.
I own a manual BA Falcon XR6T, that has seen several track days, thousands of sealed and unsealed twisty roads, taken all the punishment I've dished out to it, begged for more and cruised home on the straight highways as if it hadn't been punished at all.
It's already decked out for highway travel with extra spot lights mounted on a nudge bar, GSM, UHF aerials, and soon to be decked out with DVD/playstation to keep the wife and (future) kids quiet.

I want to do the big lap and everything accessable by my car inbetween, to keep accommodation costs down, and for the camping experience (I love camping, but hate setting up/pulling down tents) I want to get/make a camper trailer. For aesthetics and aerodynamics I want the trailer to be the tub off a BA Falcon XR ute.
I don't need details on the tent, bed, kitchen, shower, battery/power, water tanks, jerry storage, as there is a hell of a lot of info already on this site, and I am in no hurry to make all these add ons as I am not planning on completing this project, or trip for a couple of years yet. The trailer however I want to buy soon so I can start adding things mentioned above as the budget comes along.

I need the trailer to be as aerodynamic as possible. It needs to sit at 110kms/h for hours on end, and even higher speeds when we visit the NT. I don't want it to sway in winds, or bounce all over the place, especially on bumpy sealed or unsealed roads. I want the car and trailer to be level (weight distribution) with eachother. It also needs to be as light as possible, I know that the performance of my car will be bought down a few notches, but I still want something there when I need to overtake.
Once fully loaded (including 60litres of water, and 60 litres of fuel), I don't anticipate it will weight more than 750 - 800kgs.

My question is, what type of setup does this trailer and the tow car need to have?
Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, A-Frame, tow hitch, towbar on the car, etc...

I plan on having a solid axle using the utes leaf springs for suspension (the tyre track will be the same as the car), electric brakes (of some sort?), a body coloured fibre glass cover for the A-Frame for aerodynamics and storage, 17" wheels (same wheels and tyres as on the car). It will have a hard cover, with everything concealed underneath.
My standard towbar is capable of 1200kg's, so I think this is ok?

Any advice is appreciated.

Ivan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:31

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:31
Have been to the NT with both my Patrol and WRX ,

Do you think it is a good idea to want to do high speed towing a trailer ,

I think you are asking for trouble.

Glenn.
AnswerID: 166737

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 19:45

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 19:45
Gooday,
I think if you need to travel at that speed you would be better to take a commercial flight & rent a vehicle when you get to each destination, you will possibly see more.
Cheers boroma604.
AnswerID: 166753

Reply By: DonCro - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:21

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:21
Thanks, I'm also after this sort of advice from people that have experienced it.

I've driven a fully ladden trailer around Sydney more times than I can count at city speeds, and ocassionally an empty trailer between Sydney and Canberra at highway speeds.
I've never driven a fully ladden trailer on the highway, so I don't know what speeds I can do.
I assumed 120 or 130 where laws allow (like NT), and 110 on normal highways.
Of course unsealed roads are completely different.

I am not a speed nut on roads, I leave my high speed runs (230+) to the track. I do like to cruise at the speed limit. My enjoyment comes from driving to different places, stopping for a break and driving to the next town.

So if it's not recommended to drive at highway speeds with a trailer aerodynamic or not, I'll go back to the drawing board.
AnswerID: 166764

Follow Up By: On Patrol - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:41

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 20:41
I think you will find that a trailer is covered by the truck & bus speed limit in most states and territories of our fair land & that is 100kph max. (even in NT)
FollowupID: 421699

Sponsored Links