Rainbow beach/Fraser Island.

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 17:14
ThreadID: 32833 Views:1904 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from a few days at Rainbow Beach/Fraser Island and was surprised by the lack of crowds. We went up last Sunday and over to Fraser on Monday morning just to give the kids a look at the place for the day, and only saw 2 other forbies until we hit Eurong, when the buses started to arrive. On the trip back down the beach we saw about half a dozen other vehicles altogether, so it was a dream run. We were the only vehicle on the Manta Ray both ways.

Got talking to a bloke who was camped at Inskip and he said he got there a few days before to make sure he got a good spot for the Easter long weekend, but said he shouldnt have bothered as the place was still mostly empty. The same applied to Freshwater.

Also had a look at "the rocks" and saw a bloke in a petrol Courier attempt it with predictable results- drowned it. They have apparently lost about 7 in the last ten days so if anyones going up there, beware!

All in all a great couple of days and some terrific beach driving in the Prado. Moreton is a bit closer so thats next on the list, (though I hear the sandflies etc are rough........!)

Have a safe and happy Easter, Fester.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Emma Claire - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:28

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:28
Thanks for the info. My husband and I will soon be travelling through that area with our caravan as part of an extended journey around our country and were wondering how long we should set aside to see Fraser Island/Rainbow Beach.

And a happy easter to you.
AnswerID: 166736

Follow Up By: drover - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:43

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:43
We have had many enjoyable visits to fraser over the years- the most recent 2 weeks ago.
IMHO I would allow at least 7/10 days. There are 3/4 campgrounds on the island & heaps of spots on the beach.Try to avoid busy times such as Easter.
Enjoy a really unique part of this country.

Drover
FollowupID: 421666

Follow Up By: guzzi - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:45

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:45
Emma,
Very easy to spend a week on fraser and not see it all, the place is that big and diverse, plus tides etc.
A couple of days around rainbow would cover it quite well.
Enjoy the trip
pete
FollowupID: 421668

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 07:36

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 07:36
Emma

I agree with the other guys.... a week is (in our oipinion) a good stay on Fraser Island. It is a majesic place, but we find that after a week the sand and salt are getting to us.. LOL.... but it is well worth it, so much to see and do!!!

Enjoy yourselves there!

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 421781

Sponsored Links