electric brakes part 2

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 17:19
ThreadID: 32834 Views:1846 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi, a while ago i put question out there about the lack of braking that we were having and that our camper wheels were running quite hot (not being able to put your hand on them hot) most of the time. well we got some great advice and since then have given everything a good clean, grease and adjustment (were it seemed it needed it). we had to take the van to Adelaide last Sunday and it was unreal how well it towed, it's never felt so light and hubby even needed to slow her down a bit and when we arrived the wheels were cool not even warm. our problem now is that when the brakes are used just to slow down as the foot comes off the brake pedal there is a clunk coming from the camper's wheels, this doesn't happen when it is totally stopped and then taking off. as this is our first with electric brakes it's hard to know what's 'normal'.
can anyone let me know of a good brake place we could go to so that things can be set up right if needed in the Adelaide or south area?
thankyou once again
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 17:53

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 17:53
Maybe the clunk is not from the trailor brakes but the coupling between both . Sometimes there is a little play in the coupling and when you take the foot off the brake there is some movement in the coupling.
Just a thought.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 166731

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:36

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:36
I often have the samew sort of clunking noise. The noise I have is not from the brakes theselves but from the coupling, canvary a tad if on up or downslope. The very slight lag in the brakes releasing can let my camper push forward against the truck or roll bak against the coupling.

I would not worry about it if:

The trailer brakes as you expect it to.

If the drums do not get excessivly hot.

You do not experience excessive drag.

Work on the principle that you are now experiencing an improvement on previous porformances.

Ian
AnswerID: 166738

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:45

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:45
I agree with Ian W & Dodger - sounds like the coupling. Could be that the brakes are on a tad aggressive - and its trying to brake the car as well as the camper. This would end up using up the brakes too fast - the car should look after itself and the trailer brakes look after the trailer. I would try backing off the controller a tiny bit and see if that gets rid of the noise.

Certainly worked on our caravan where the dealer set it up too sensitive.

Glad hubby did so well on the maintenance.

Max

AnswerID: 166740

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 19:32

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 19:32
I agree with Max here, if you reduce how aggressive your controller is set and you still have the "clunk" try to work out if it is the coupling that is making the noise.....which is fairly normal. You can buy a product which will help stop this coupling movement but it is not totally necessary in my opinion.
If it is not the coupling or contoller adjustment, seek professional advise.

Safe and happy caravanning.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 421681

Reply By: gonebush SA - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 22:16

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 22:16
the clunking is defenately coming from the brakes and not the coupling. we did not have any clunking noises before adjusting/ cleaning the brakes. the brake controller isn't (we are sure) too agresive and seems to be coming on at the right time, every thing seems great exept for this clunk noise. thanks anyway.
AnswerID: 166797

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 22:46

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 22:46
Have you checked the spring shackle bushes? Assuming that it is leaf sprung.
FollowupID: 421750

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 07:25

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 07:25
Dario Caravans just off South Road/Daws Road are good. Diagnosed a problem on my van for nix.
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 166830

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:00

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:00
Could be the noise of the magnets engaging. I can hear this on the camper trailer, jacked up the trailer wheel and spun it got someone to touch the brake pedal and sure enough a clunk as it engaged.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 166836

Reply By: gonebush SA - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:13

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:13
we have now worked out the problem and it's still a pleasure to tow, when hubby adjusted the brake controller he made it too lean, now it's been made that tad more aggresive it's working great with out any clunking, dragging or hot wheels. thanks again.
AnswerID: 167911

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)