The 6.5 Chev Nissan Report

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 23:52
ThreadID: 32851 Views:9568 Replies:20 FollowUps:48
This Thread has been Archived
Well, the Chev V8 is in the Nissan Patrol and in my driveway – at least it was the last time I looked! (After losing my GXL ‘Cruiser ya can’t be too careful can ya!)

It’s not without a few minor issues. Rather than drive back to Brunswick Diesels with it, I phoned ‘em up before diving into it myself. We agreed on what the problem was and Brunswick had no probs with me fixing it – being an old mechanic helps. I had to readjust the clutch master cylinder to pedal pushrod as the clutch wasn’t clearing and it was causing shocking clutch drag and sore left hand trying to get gears. But 15 minutes work and it changes gear like a good Nissan GQ box should do – firm but slick. Even my wife can drive it! Mind you she can and does drive anything.

Anyway, I digress.

The truck was formerly a 1999 Nissan Patrol with a 2.8 litre 6 cylinder turbo diesel motor, with the usual lightweight gearbox and low ratio diffs at 4.7 ratio. It’s red in colour and will henceforth be known as “Freddo The Fire Engine”. ( The ‘Cruiser was “Thomas the Tank Engine’),,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Patrol is now fitted with:

Chevrolet 6.5 litre V8 diesel motor

Lovell high lift, heavy duty springs, all round

Lovell “Gas Legend” shockies all round

3 inch body lift – approx

Polyair springs on rear

New offset Castor bushes- these have yet to be fitted at the 1st service which will be done free, by Brunswick at about 1000 kms.

1997 (Pre 2000) GQ gearbox

2 by 3.9 ratio diffs from a GQ – rear with LSD

New very large radiator!

Very large metal fan that think I saw once on the wing of a B17 bomber in the film “Memphis Belle”!!

New electric fuel lift, pump mounted externally under the floor near the drivers bum – annoying little noise but ya get used to it!

New 105 amp alternator

New power steering pump

New air con compressor and piping

New Safari snorkel

New 3 inch exhaust with “straight through” muffler. No resonator.

Additional work done by Brunswicks for me was:

Fitting a dual battery system with ARB Battery box, Redarc isolator, 2 new Optima 55 amp hour batteries (I couldn’t get the bigger 75 amp hour Optimas to fit in the battery carriers). A single 55 amp hour Optima AGM battery has about 750 cranking amps (CCA). The 75 amp hour has about 850 CCA. A normal N70ZZL has about 580 CCA. The Chev V8 starts easily with a single Optima doing the cranking.

Enough spare cable to the rear of the truck to wire in my Autofridge - when I get the drawers and slide finished.

New rear axle oil seals – one was leaking when I bought the vehicle.

Checked all wheel bearings and all sound as a bell.

New rear brake disc pads

Tekonsha Prodigy caravan brake controller

Cruise Control

Immobiliser

Vehicle entry security

Glass breakage alarm

All up cost - $26,812. 92 with a 12month/20,000 km warranty

How does it go?

Well, I don’t use 1st gear at all these days. 2nd gear is as easy as pie from a standing start. I’ve come to love red traffic lights and Stop signs. Just sit ‘n wait, drop it into 2nd gear, drop the clutch, a bit of throttle, no more than normal and “Whhhhoooosssh, roaaar”, it’s about 150 metres ahead of traffic without even going above 1600 rpm. This is way BETTER than my 100 series GXL TD Landcruiser – and I used to love that. It’s a bit rougher, a bit more of a savage beast, but definitely more tractable from tickover to changing to 3rd gear. But I still reckon that after about 2300 rpm the 1HDT-FE engine would slowly leave the Chev behind. But the Chev is much easier to drive in around town. It just “tonks” along at about 1200 rpm at 60 kmh, and you know all you have do is put yer foot down, even in 5th gear and will oblige you by getting up going. The low down torque is there from tickover to 100 kmh – as fast as I’ve been so far as I’m still running the motor in. There’s simply no work involved in driving this engine. It’s a lazy man’s motor. Driving the Chev/Nissan as opposed to the GXL ‘Cruiser is a slightly different story, but the engine is easy. At 100 kmh the motor does 2100 rpm.

How does it ride compared to the GXL? Well, the extra weight of the Chev over the 2.8 diesel hasn’t made it sloppy at the front. It’s yer typical Nissan solid ride. But overall, the truck is a harder ride than the GXL ‘Cruiser. There seems to be a lack of spring progression that gave the ‘Cruiser that “limousine feel”. However, the odd bit of bush work that I did with GXL before it was nicked proved that the IFS on the GXL could get a bit sloppy when the going got rough. But it was very comfortable nonetheless. The Nissan is a work truck and I reckon this set up that I have now is way better suited to what we want to do in the future – go back to prospecting again. With a heap of gear in the back and a 2.0 tonne van on the tow bar, the ride should be about right in the rough stuff.

The seats in the Nissan are streets ahead of those in the ‘Cruiser. I was always disappointed about those ‘Cruiser seats for such an expensive, high profile vehicle. The Nissan seats have good support and are well cushioned. The interior fitout of the Nissan is a bit plain and dated compared to the ‘Cruiser, but that won’t be bother me too much. When I get back from a bush trip, it’s usually covered in red mud anyway! It’ll do me.

NOISE!! Did I hear you say - NOISE!! Yes, the Chev is a noisy indirect injection diesel. At tickover, it’s like standing next to 8 London Cabs!! Rattle, rattle, rattle. But all that disappears when you get some load on it and ya put yer foot down. It then becomes a ROAR. A typical V8 ROAR. It makes you feel 18 years old again. But I can’t tramp it just yet as it’s still running in. I can wait,,,,,,,,I think! The noise from the electric fuel lift pump is also a PIA. There is a distinct “booming” from the exhaust at about 70 to 80 kmh. It’s nothing you couldn’t live with, but over a long distance I think it’ll get on yer nerves. I’m planning on a bit of noise suppression when I get back from the next trip.

The brakes on the ‘Cruiser were impeccably brilliant. The brakes on the Nissan stop the car. ‘Nuff said.

Overall it drives very easily with typical solid Nissan gear change as opposed to the comparatively vague Toyota gear change. A typical solid Nissan ride as opposed to the “luxury feel” of a GXL ‘Cruiser, the Nissan is definitely more suited to offroad work. The Chev can more or less be fixed if it stops as there are no electronics on it – just a fuel stop solenoid and that’s it. No electronic engine management, no computer required to diagnose what’s wrong. Just good old fashioned “diesel mechanicking” to get it going again. I’ll be doing my own servicing – just like the old days – and prolly save about $2,000.00 per annum on servicing costs. It’s a simple truck.

A prospecting mate of mine in the USA tells me that they tow 7,500 kg to 8,000 kg 5th wheel motor homes with these 6.5 litre Chevs over there. However they do use 4.7 diff ratios to do it! But that’s still impressive I reckon.

Resale value? I’ve heard different stories. Some people love ‘em and some people won’t touch ‘em with a disinfected rubber gloves and long pole! I don’t have a problem with either. I usually buy cars with a 10 year view in mind. As long as it’s reliable, I’ll keep it for the 10. Besides, there might be no fuel in 10 years time ;)

Only time will tell if this conversion was a good idea, but I’ve heard only one disaster story and Brunswicks did the right thing and fixed that one for free. All other stories have been good ones. I hope mine is.

Bilbo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 00:21

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 00:21
Thanks for the report Bilbo...she sounds like a beauty
AnswerID: 166816

Reply By: Member - Colin (WA) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 01:26

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 01:26
How are you going with the insurance assessor on the GXL after your first meeting
Col
AnswerID: 166818

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:26

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:26
Col,

Actually we haven't met yet, and it's prolly a good idea that we don't - cos I'd prolly rip his throat out! Thus far it's all been done by phone but they have now put their "final offer" in writing,,,,,,,,,,,,

I still wanna rip his throat out.

We're still a long way from the "Finish Line".

Bilbo
FollowupID: 421807

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (WA) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 20:50

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 20:50
Hi Bilbo,

I have a 02 GXL T/D so am interested in how they treat your claim . I have not seen a similar vehicle to mine for under 50k stock standard. So I was bemused to read your situation.

Col
FollowupID: 421937

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 22:54

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 22:54
Colin,

"under 50K' - that's round about what I told the insurance company. This was GXL 100 series 2000, Turbo diesel manual, with only 100,00 kms on the clock and a tonne of extras - they're like hens' teeth. He tried to tell me he could buy "a 2000 GXL 4.5 litre automatic for $30,000.00". I said "Yeah, so can ! But I can't buy mine for less than $45,000.00, so stick it,,,,,,,,,". I told him that "GXL 4.5 litre automatics" were readily available at giveaway prices 'cos nobody wanted 'em and they were very common to start off with and if petrol prices keep going up they'll be lined up 6 deep at the tip!"

We're not on speaking terms any more............

Bilbo
FollowupID: 421956

Reply By: howie - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 01:46

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 01:46
freddo sounds good (wipes drool off chin)
did you have to take it over the pits for any reason (engine/3in lift maybe)?
would be interested in the fuel economy when its run in. keep us posted
AnswerID: 166820

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:30

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:30
No pits involved. The conversion is issued with an Engineers Certificate as part of the package.

However, that cert doesn't cover the mods to the suspension. However as Roachie points out below, this is a suspension life and not a true body lift. I'm not really into raising 4WD's but this one worked out about 3" higher with te new Lovell springs etc.

I'm keeping records for fuel consumption - deep down inside, I think it's a good idea that I'm retired and don't have to drive it to work ever day!!

Bilbo
FollowupID: 421808

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 01:52

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 01:52
she sounds like a beauty, with the fuel pump, try using some isolating mounts for it, the airbox mounts from a vl commodore work well with most fuel pumps.

You should hear the transfer pump on my jack aux tank, its internally mounted in the steel tank and the whole thing creates a hell of a racket when going..

i reckon you will just love this new setup more and more...

mmmmmmmmm torque..........
AnswerID: 166821

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:45

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:45
Thanks fer the tip, Brad.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 421813

Reply By: V8Diesel - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 05:26

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 05:26
Congratulations Bilbo.

Got me thinking about converting my Cruiser 105 as well now.
AnswerID: 166824

Reply By: hl - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 06:49

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 06:49
Hi,

I would not get too carried away lugging it in 5th. The amount of torque that engine has is shure to give it a hard time.
I think the 5th gear problems in the GU's had more to do with nearly doubling the torque of the engine and mating it to a 10 year old box. That box was basically designed for a donk with about 200Nm, the Gu's managed from 350Nm and up. That chev is probably in the 500's.
Cheers

Cheers
AnswerID: 166827

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:58

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:58
hl,

The torque figure is not that high actually. It's rated as 430Nm at 1700 rpm which is the same as my former GXL TD "Cruiser at 1800 rpm. What's different here is the way it's delivered. Torque arrives from tickover with the Chev but with the the "Cruiser you had to wait for it to come in. The Chev must have a steeper torque curve at lower rpm and then it flattens. But the 'Cruiser has a steeper curve at higher RPM after you've got it there.

I drove a 1989 Ford Mav with a TD42 in it fer 12 years and that thing had the same gearbox as this Chev/Nissan. I used to pull up to 5 tonnes with that and tow in 5th gear at 100 kmh with the same load. Never blew the gearbox and it's till going strong. I found that as long as you got it up the rev range and didn't make it lug it wasn't an issue.

It's been my experience that "the 10 year old box" is the strongest box that I've come across. I've never seen one broken except when Nissan stuffed it with poor heat treatment and slack splines on the mainshsaft about 3 years ago.

But time will tell,,,,

Thanks,

Bilbo
FollowupID: 421819

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:35

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:35
Bilbo,
Sounds like a really good result mate........now, try not to get it STOLEN!!!!!!! hahaha

Just one little clarification? You mentioned in your list of things that have been done that there is a 3" body lift. Do you actually mean "suspension lift"? Or did they fit new 3" BODY LIFT blocks? I think it's more likely to be the suspension , as a proper "body lift" entails some chopping of the body work around the gear lever holes and you have to re-jig the bullbar/rear bar mounts and all sorts of other chit.

Hope she continues to go well for you.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 166845

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:46

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:46
Yer right Roachie, it's a suspension lift and NOT a body lift as I wrote.

Thanks for letting me correct you ;)

Bilbo
FollowupID: 421815

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:01

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:01
The Patrol is now fitted with:

Chevrolet 6.5 litre V8 diesel motor
1997 (Pre 2000) GQ gearbox
2 by 3.9 ratio diffs from a GQ – rear with LSD
New very large radiator!
Very large metal fan that think I saw once on the wing of a B17 bomber in the film “Memphis Belle”!!
New electric fuel lift, pump mounted externally under the floor near the drivers bum – annoying little noise but ya get used to it!
New 3 inch exhaust with “straight through” muffler. No resonator.
All up cost - $26,812. 92 with a 12month/20,000 km warranty

What was the cost of the basic engine swap to allow you to drive away, without all the extras (eg without dual batteries, dunnyroll holder etc)...?
AnswerID: 166851

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:44

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:44
The cost without the "dunny roll holder, bidet and home theatre system" was $22,500.00.

This could have been reduced to $20,000.00 if the 2.8 motor that was in it had've been any good. But Brunswick wouldn't give a me trade in on that blown motor. As it was, I sold that motor, injector pump, radiator, gearbox, clutch, exhaust etc, for $3,000.00. So it worked out quite well thanks to a good mate of mine that wanted 'em.

The package without the extra bits comprised the new 6.5 N/A Chev, new alternator, new power steering pump, new vacuum pump, a gearbox and 2 diffs, exhaust, electric lift pump. new engine relocated mounts, new radiator, was $22,500.00 with no trade in for the old 2.8 motor.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 421826

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:46

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:46
Sweet - I've already emailed them today ;) also Linquip....

You are in Perth?

if not what did you do to transport truck to them?
FollowupID: 421827

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:50

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:50
Also any reason you went the 6.5 over the 6.2? and is it the mechanical injected over electric one?(soemthign like that)
FollowupID: 421831

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 15:02

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 15:02
the mechanical and electronic injector pumps are apparently interchangeable. I think I read somewhere that the blocks on the 6.5 are stonger but don't quote me on that!

Leroy
FollowupID: 421859

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:30

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:30
Truckster,

I live about 150 kms from Brusnwicks. So tht bit was easy. I had the Nissan put on a tilt tray and taken down to Brunswick - cost $250.00 from Perth.

The 6.5 motor is a stronger motor and a fair bit pokier.

The electrically operated Stansadyne injection pump has bad rep in the USA. When fitted, they sit in the valley of the V8 motor and the heat there is just too much for 'em. They then proceed to fry and then fail. Brunswicks won't touch these types of pumps and only use the mechanical pumps. Lot less to go wrong and more reliable.

If you do get your converted, please mentaion my name and then I might get another "Brunswick V8 Diesel" cap for my missus!!

Bilbo

FollowupID: 421899

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 20:30

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 20:30
Im suprised that nobody has figured out a way to change the pump location from the valley...

time to start shopping for the GU :-)
FollowupID: 422216

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 22:22

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 22:22
Is it the turbo model?

if not WHY?
FollowupID: 422642

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:51

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:51
Truckster,

I didn't get the turbo model. The engine is a turbo spec motor, but no turbo.

By Brunswicks own admission, the turbo motors run hot when towing a big van up north in the heat. Ya have to watch the temp guage all the time in spite of fitting the biggest rad that's available. Brunswick reckon there's ample torque from the N/A motor and I agree. The turbo costs more but I can't remember exactly how much more. I'm happy with the N/A so far. If I do change my mine I can have a turbo fitted later.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 422707

Follow Up By: drifta - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:18

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:18
Truckster

I was told $5000 extra for the turbo 8 months ago from Brunswick and was advised against getting one by Greg at Brunswick due to overheating problems. He has one in his GU ute and said he would not do it again in one of his own vehicles. As Bilbo says they are all built as turbo capable so you get a very strong motor and can still add it later. If you get to drive one around for a little while I don't think you would bother having the turbo they are very capable without it. Unless you want it to double as a drag car i suppose.

David
FollowupID: 422715

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:50

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:50
Well got a call from Brunswick.
They have an agent in Melbourne :D Ross Lyon Motors.

They have a demonstrator - going to call tomorrow.

Talked to THE MAN about 4.5's he says theres HEAPS on the market, adn should bleep one in for under $20k :D

its all happening
FollowupID: 422879

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:07

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:07
Truckster,

If petrol prices keep going the way they are going, big petrol motors will be 6 deep at the tip!

You can always make fuel fer a diesel out of almost anything. Making petrol needs a bloody great oil refinery and a very expensive process.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 422906

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:43

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:43
Test drive is on Anzac Day in Warrigul :)

CANT WAIT!
FollowupID: 423197

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 06:41

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 06:41
Truckster,

Be careful - yer sex life will improve outta sight after you've driven it!

Bilbo
FollowupID: 423222

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:22

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:22
Improving sex life - that would not be the most challenging thing thats ever happened to me....
FollowupID: 423257

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:47

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:47
Truckster,

At my age, it's flamin' challenge, I'll give ya the tip!

When I first drove the truck after the Chev was in, I returned home and my wife said it was the biggest thing she'd seen fer years - and she wasn't talking about the Chevy engine either ;)

Whhooaaaaah!

Bilbo
FollowupID: 423299

Reply By: ThePunter - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 14:03

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 14:03
Hi,

Sounds like you have got a very capable vehicle there.

I am interested know why you selected Lovell springs/shocks above the others that are on the market. I am looking at upgrading my suspension in the 100 series and these have been recommended by the 4WD store at a fairly good price.

David.
AnswerID: 166886

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:38

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:38
Punter,

Brunswick recommended 'em. Greg Jones who owns Brunswicks has 'em fitted to all of his trucks. He's a Nissan freak and they all have Chev V8s in 'em,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cop this,,,,,,he even bought a brand spanking new GU ST Patrol, ripped the Nissan donk out when he got it home from the dealer in Bunbury and put a Chev in it. I beleive it had done only 500 kms when he did it!! When the time was due he took back to the dealer for the 1st service and just tossed 'em the keys!! They near schitt 'emselves when they saw what he'd done!! They just couldn't handle it!!

Bilbo
FollowupID: 421903

Reply By: Member No 1- Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 14:48

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 14:48
2100@100 clicks?....was that b4 or after you changed gear
AnswerID: 166893

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:42

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:42
No 1,

That's 2100 rpm in 5th gear at 100 kmh, just trolling along. From memory that was about what the GXL TD "Cruiser did as well. I held it for about 10 seconds just to check it. Can't go too fast just yet - running in.

I'll check it again soon.

Your comments? Ya reckon that's too many RPM at 100 kmh? Or too little?

Bilbo
FollowupID: 421904

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 18:00

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 18:00
in top gear you say...one can count the revs at that speed....must have heaps of grunt
FollowupID: 421911

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 18:44

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 18:44
Strange that you say that, whilst ya can't count 'em at 100 kmh, you can certainly count 'em at 60 kmh in 5th gear!

Bilbo
FollowupID: 421920

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 16:04

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 16:04
Bilbo,

I hope this is the turning point in your luck stakes. Sounds like a pretty good way to spend Easter......running in the new donk. Keep us posted on things like fuel economy and the like.
I have just changed the bearings on my Supreme, and I have a set that would be OK for spares if you are interested. They are just starting to show signs of stress, but still good enough for spares. Drop me a line if you want them.

Happy Easter and best Regards
Trevor.
AnswerID: 166903

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:49

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:49
Trev,

Thanks for thining of me mate, but my Supreme van has only done about 1200 kms so I reckon there's a few years in the bearings yet.

George Day Caravans phoned me today and said "they'd done all the warranty work".

THAT remains to be seen eh!!

I'll pick it up Tuesday.

I'll have enough to do over Easter building a drawer sysetm 'n fridge slide for the Patrol and wiring up the replacement solar panels on the new Jarram roofrack!

Bilbo
FollowupID: 421907

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 16:20

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 16:20
Ba$tard! Always wanted one!

Bilbo, you whet my appetite for one of these yet again, great summary and wrap up, you deserve to enjoy it.

Did I mention BA$TARD!

All the best
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 166904

Reply By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:55

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:55
Thanks Bonz,

BTW everbody, I've changed the name of the truck from "Freddo the Fire Engine" to "Frodo The Fire Engine" - seems to fit better with Bilbo eh!

Bilbo
AnswerID: 166916

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 12:47

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 12:47
The Tolkien bilbo had a magic ring that made him dissapear.
Looks like you kept to the original theme - all we see is the 3" ring of your exhaust - and bilbo disapears yet again.
.............Keith
FollowupID: 422013

Follow Up By: Joe King - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:19

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:19
The Cruiser must have borrowed that ring eh?
FollowupID: 422935

Reply By: Member-Neil & Margie-Cairns - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:57

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:57
BUGGER ,, got the tape mesure out ,, just won't fit in the Pajero ,, good to hear about this one , but still to hear of the probs with the insurence on the Cruiser , the moungrels are always there to take your money ,, come the time we all dred ,, yeh well ,, all the best ,,

Neil ..

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 166917

Reply By: dieselup - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 18:41

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 18:41
Sounds good Bilbo!
The costings seem OK too, it cost us about the same to change to the 100 series when our 3.0lTD GU expired
Interesting your comment on the seats thuogh becuase we thought the opposite, but each to thier own
We hope it goes really well for you after what you went through
AnswerID: 166921

Reply By: Sparkiepete - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 19:50

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 19:50
Don't forget to fit a hiclone or two to save on fuel!

"Sparkiepete runs for cover"
AnswerID: 166928

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 20:35

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 20:35
and 3 fitch
FollowupID: 421933

Reply By: Sam from Weipa Auto Electrics - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:40

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:40
Have you had any problems with it overheating yet mine has been an bugger with overheating but I dont have the serpentine belt setup on it and its in a 75 series ute.
AnswerID: 167501

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:56

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:56
Sam,

Mine's a "serpentine" motor, also it doesn't have the turbo. Is yours a turbo motor? If so, please see reply to "Truckster" above.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 422710

Follow Up By: drifta - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:07

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:07
Sam

I also have the 6.5 without a turbo and without the serpentine belt mine has three belts. I have the standard GU radiator in mine and have not had any overheating problems. I have had it in extreme temps in the goldfields of at least 45 in the shade towing a camper all over station country for days at varying speeds with aircon on flat out. Greg at Brunswick has an oversized radiator in his turbo ute and still has overheating problems he advised me against getting a turbo. If you don't have a turbo I would guess something is wrong with the cooling system or your temp gauge.

David
FollowupID: 422713

Follow Up By: Sam from Weipa Auto Electrics - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 13:41

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 13:41
I have been talking to brad at brunswick diesel and he has been realy good about it all but I have done everything a solid fan and I have fitted a very good qaulity vdo gauge and it still gets upto 100-110 (mind thats flogging it) what does you're engine run at? I also have the bigger radiator.
FollowupID: 422755

Follow Up By: drifta - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 15:20

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 15:20
Sam

I only have the original temp gauge in mine so I can't give you an acurate temp for my motor. But the temp gauge gets to just under half which is about where it sat when the 2.8 motor was in it. I can't say I've ever flogged mine only taken it in very hot places with no noteable change in the temp gauge whether I was idling along or doing 110 with a camper on. I done a bit of sand dune climbing and beach work which also didn't effect it. I'll be on the CSR in about 12 weeks so i guess that will be a good test.

David
FollowupID: 422782

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 16:33

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 16:33
Sam,
One thing I've noticed with my 4.2TD is that the VDO gauge (sender is in top hose) is much more sensitive than the factory gauge. Latter will sit on "normal" spot from about 50oC to 107oC.
The thing I've often wondered about is what is the temp in the bottom hose at any given time? I've been thinking of sticking another sender for the VDO gauge into the bottom hose to see just exactly how much the radiator is reducing the coolant temp by?
Anyway, I've run my GU with air con on, on a very hot day for about 3 hours with the VDO showing around 118oC and the engine loved it.....no ill-effects whatsoever.
Not sure any of this is relavent to the 6.5 Chev, but for what it's worth, that is what my findings have been.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 422788

Follow Up By: Sam from Weipa Auto Electrics - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 16:49

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 16:49
Yeah I thought That might be the case but brunswick have told me that they are supposed to run at 85 is 110 excessive because I dont see any ill effects either but what do think the cooking point of a 6.5 litre diesel motor?
FollowupID: 422790

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 17:10

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 17:10
Sam,
I hope you never have to find out what the cooking temp is!!!!
I know a lot of people still think that because the boiling point for water is 100oC, that this must be the magic number that is never to be exceeded. Of course, that figure of 100oC is the point at which water boils at atmospheric pressure at sea level. Once you have the water under pressure as is the case in a cooling system, the boiling temp is raised quite considerably.....one figure I've heard is 126oC.

In any case, I'm much happier knowing what the temp of my coolant really is, rather than just seeing the needle (of the Nissan gauge) sit just short of half way and occasionally go ballistic all the way up to the "H" zone; but never really knowing what the damn temperture actually is.

I'm assuming you're happy with the motor's performance overall? I'm one of several blokes on this forum who are green with envy.....would love to have the throb of a big bent eight under the bonnet of my GU!!!

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 422800

Follow Up By: Sam from Weipa Auto Electrics - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:08

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:08
Dont worry I love the thump of having a hardcore v8 diesel stuffed under the hood of my cruiser there is not better motor in my opinion the torque is awesome I just wish I wasnt so worried about the overheating if it is?? anyway heres the beast
Site Link
FollowupID: 422933

Reply By: Sam from Weipa Auto Electrics - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:26

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:26
No mine is the standard motor without the turbo but its supposed to be the bigger radiator in my car so I dont know.
AnswerID: 167536

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:26

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:26
Sam,

l'll have tp speak to Brunswicks about that operating temp of "85C". That doesn't sound right at all. Engine temps are supposed to be higher than 100c regularly to avoid sludge formation from condensation in the sump that leads to minute amounts of water in the oil. By getting the engine temp above 100c this flashes off the condensation as vapour.

"85C" sounds way to cold for an engine.

As Roachie says, modern cooling systems are pressurised and coolant temps of 115C are not uncommon in normal running. I'm trying to remember my "Steam Pressure" tables in gauging "How many PSI or KPA raises the water boiling point by how many degrees". I been retired too long!

One of the reasons that people get scalded when removing a rad cap is that whilst the water may be not be boiling when the cap is on and the system is under pressure, as soon as they remove the rad cap - the colling system pressure drops to atmospheric pressure and BINGO, the water immediately boils, blows all the water out of the rad neck and they cop it in the face!

Bilbo
FollowupID: 422894

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:48

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 18:48
For everyones info my Humvee (6.2 V8 diesel) runs a 195 deg F (90 C) thermostat, operates in the 185 -205 F range (85 - 96 C) all the time and is designed to do so.
Max sustained temp (I think) is around 110 C (230 F)
The fan clutch is hydraulically operated off the power steering circuit and is either on or off (cuts in at 195 F). No thermo fan.
Cooling system capacity is 25 litres and the radiator is 4 core roughly about 750 mm square.
The oil/trans cooler is the same size but only 1 core, a/c slightly smaller and the power steer cooler is about 50mm square but the full width.
They are all mounted in front/top of the radiator and there is absolutely no overheating problem ever.
On a recent (last ten days) trip down the Vic high country the fan rarely came on off road and about once every 10 k's for about 40 secs on the highway.
The later Humvee's run a NA 6.5 with the same cooling setup, Turbo models run an even bigger radiator.
FollowupID: 424302

Reply By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:58

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:58
Had to go up to Malaga from Safety Bay today to get a set of drawer runners for my home-build drawer system. I also went to collect my caravan from some warranty repair work.

Had a bit of fun on the way there and some fun on the way back.

I was at the traffic lights on The Tonkin Highway with what turned out be an 80 series 4.5 petrol 'Cruiser alongside me. We both set off together & he was obviously trying to get ahead but without trying TOO hard at the start. I just hung onto 2nd gear, then 3rd and this guy was getting seriously perurbed by what seemed to be a scrappy old 2.8 litre turbo Nissan keeping up with him and leaving him!. Remember that "Frodo" hasn't got any Brunswick Diesel V8 stickers on it!! I had to back off 'cos i'm still running in the motor, but he was "giving me the evil eye" after 500 metres I can assure you. That was fun!

The next was after I picked up the caravan. It weighs about 2 tonnes. "Frodo" knew it was pulling something but it didn't seem to bother it too much. From a standing start it was easier than my GXL TD 'Cruiser to get moving and keep accelerating. Again I couldn't hammer it too much. But I did seriously worry a 3.0 litre Patrol away owner from the lights. He got left behind at every gear change whilst I wasn't changing!! He went past me in the end. I had to let him go or I woulda been drag racing with a caravan in tow!!

It pulls the van from a standing start in 2nd gear without a bit of clutch slipping. But I wouldn't make a habit of doing that with a van in tow. Just experimenting fer now.

I just wish this thing was run in!!!

Bilbo
AnswerID: 167697

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:03

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:03
sounds like your gearing is still way out if your not using 1st, almost like a troopy...

Site Link

intersting :D
FollowupID: 422904

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:50

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:50
Truckster,

I had a choice of diff ratios. There's a 4.7 (low) that's OME for the 2.8 Nissn diesel. Than theres a 4.3. Then a 4.1 that's OME for 4.2 TD 42 turbo tray back utes. Then a 3.9 and a 3.7 (high). On Brunswicks recommendation for towing a van I went for a 3.9. I'm beginning to think that a 3.7 wouldn't have been too high.

I don't use 1st gear in normal driving without a van behind me. Even with a van I can start in 2nd gear but wouldn't do it regularly.

So for a bit more economy, even with the weight of a van behind, 3.7 would be OK I reckon.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 422911

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:56

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:56
Will see what the demo truck has in it, and call brunswick tomorrow to talk to the men there.
FollowupID: 422913

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:44

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:44
There is also a 3.5 diff option out of a 4.8 GU I found out today which I would be lookin at if I were u
FollowupID: 423198

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 06:45

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 06:45
Trucskter,

I might go the 3.7 diff and I reckon I could get away with a 3.5 diff even when towing. But then I'd have to wind it up in the gears a bit before getiing into 5th gear and just cruising along.

If I wasn't towing regularly then I'd go to a 3.5. But fer now. I'm stuck with a 3.9.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 423223

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:15

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:15
Yea kewl, wasnt sure if you knew about the 3.5s..

The dude reckons with an auto, I wont need to change diffs... But shall c..
FollowupID: 423255

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 21:53

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 21:53
My dream is over.
FollowupID: 424549

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 14:09

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 14:09
Well finally got the quote back from the dude in Warragul..
$23,000 for engine conversion.. No lockers, dual batteries, etc etc..
Bitter disappointment does not even come close.

Since the Auto GU Petrol needs diff gears, larger radiator (manual does not), gearbox internals, different alternator, air cond (cant use GU on the Auto but can on Manual), Serpentine belt setup with different waterpump (Auto only), fully engineered... (which I can see yours had most of this too! Yet you got the works to go with it)

This was $5-7k+ more than I hoped for, and was told by Brunswick which I've emailed them to see what the differences in costings are.. Thats a Big Difference.

So, thats pretty much shelved to the too hard basket.

GU TD42T fit up an Auto, and get turbo tweaked maybe the go for me.
AnswerID: 169084

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 22:29

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2006 at 22:29
Sorry to hear that Truckster. There was always gonna be a difference twixt you 'n me. I HAD to get something moving after losing the 'Cruiser. I can't stay here all winter wondering how much gold I'm missing out on whilst waiting for the insurance company to pay up.

I loved that Cruiser and still miss it badly, but I wouldn't have another after it being "targetted" like that. I beleive it was a "professional hit". The Patrol is not such a "desirable" vehicle. Also I believe that the Patrol is a tougher vehicle for what we want do for the near future. So up came the chance to buy a Patrol for $9k and I took it. The rest is history and sitting in the driveway mate.

Sorry you couldn't go the conversion, Truckster.

But who knows, the whole thing might turn out to be a dog!

Take care mate,

Bilbo
FollowupID: 424560

Sponsored Links