No more free over night stays at rathdowney in se qld

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:52
ThreadID: 32856 Views:3319 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
As of about a week ago the local shire put up no camping signs in the local rathdowney area wher you where able to have a free over night stay

so if passing buy please drop in to the local information center and lodge a complant it could just help as i have

one thing is for sure is that the small town well suffer due to most now driving bye
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:09

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:09
Send a message to Sully c/- the pub there..He'll fix it..When he's not the acting mayor of Birdsville (hi Ruth & Ian) he is filling the same position at Rathdowney..(Otherwise possibily known as the Desert Fox) He is not on the www.Expect he will be ,as usual,at Birdsville for the Anzac march etc.He has the happy knack of getting things done,some times by the back door..It's the results that count in my book.."On yer Sully!"
AnswerID: 166854

Follow Up By: Barty - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:33

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:33
Yeah do belive Ive seen and spoken to him drives a toyotya 60 with water stored on top inice old bloke told me he like the desert and finds his way around bye the stars and sun and wind blows the desert dunes It mite be a while till i pass him again but maybe you can let him know????
FollowupID: 421810

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:31

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:31
RockyOne, for Anzac Day there are 23 Army fellas coming and there will be a cataflaque etc - couldn't get a band or piper though. Lusty Dusty Musty and Fusty will also be here as will Mat & Val Lawson from WA.
FollowupID: 421983

Reply By: bernie1 - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 12:11

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 12:11
Rang Rathdowny info centre who advised to ring Beaudesert council. Rang them, and said they will me back
AnswerID: 166872

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 13:13

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 13:13
Yeah! Bernie & Barty (B&B) I know Sully from when he threw me out of a De-havilland Domonie on my first few jumps..The property we had our landing strip on,Nindawindah (?) has since been sold for several million $..Magic place.! Rathdowney is a great area and hope the council sees fit to help you caravaners/campers..Suprising the "outback" people who own land there :-) Say no more..
FollowupID: 421848

Reply By: Member - Bill F (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 16:58

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 16:58
Hi all,
What is the council's definition of camping

If I am too tired to drive and have to stop for a nap I am not camping

Bill
Fay'd away from the crowd

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 166909

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 21:28

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 21:28
Hello everyone - well, I know the place where people do their overnight camping - or did. Haven't heard about them doing this yet until tonight. It's not that bad because there are actually some really nice places to stay in the Rathdowney area, other than that little park (on the Beaudesert side of Rathdowney - in Ugly Gully). You can camp at the Showgrounds in Rathdowney (for very little money) or at Flanagans Reserve or at Big Riggen (both on the western side of Rathdowney). There are other free camps on the south side of Rathdowney - in Running creek Road (my kids always camp there).
When I'm not out here you'll find me at Rathdowney.
At the risk of having my head bitten off - it doesn't cost very much to stay at these other places (because I used to stay there before I bought land at Rathdowney) and they have showers and toilets (which this little free park doesn't have).
Rocky One if you are watching - intelligence reports tonight (from my No 1 son) say he saw that Sully was on the road to the west this a.m. - Dugald saw him just near Aratula heading out on his way to Birdsville for the Anzac Day Celebrations where Sully is to dedicate our new War Memorial (well it was new last year Rocky One).
Barty, please don't go and hassle the kind people who give their time in the Information Centre at Rathdowney - after all, it's only a few dollars and you probably spend that on beer, fuel or pokies anyway (forgive me, I could be quite wrong about that also).
AnswerID: 166939

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:02

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:02
HI Ruth

Is Sully going to be in the 'Ville about mid May? Wouldn't mind catching up with him again to have a yarn...lol
FollowupID: 421973

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:25

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:25
Willem, yes he will definitely still be here. Is travelling with a mate from Melbourne who is heading to WA gold prospecting but Sully isn't going (last I heard) and he always spend a couple of months with us (usually).
FollowupID: 421980

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:10

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:10
Hi Ruth ! yep I'm watching (so are the spies watching the "Sully")..No wonder he is such a top fella..Can't get away with much as "even the walls have eyes" So he has to be good.He sure is a legend..On my way out there from Emerald last year,I asked at every servo if they knew Sully..They all did..Amazing! I still have'nt figured out the great gentleman runs the servo/tyre shop at Windorah,as my understanding is he is blind. I have slotted him into the legend class also..After all,I fill up with fuel,tell him how many litres,he costs it.Pay.That's it..System must work.Sure hope no rogues ever go there,but I figure(and hope) he has a back-up in place..My ex flat mate (4 yrs) and sky-dive mate (we had Cessna VHS-SNV with door off,booked for 10,000ft ev Sat at 1400) George is flying out there for the Anzac day.(Need a power house there.?You have gas not far away.He builds compact gas turbine power stations in Thailand etc) Ask him about a .357 slug in our breakfast corn-flake packet..
FollowupID: 422003

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 14:42

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 14:42
RockyOne - I just love Merv at Windorah - he went blind about 8 years ago - he has Diabetes. Just amazing how he makes change and does the eftpos - never misses. Took me some very embarrassing time the first time I met him to realise he was blind (he had to tell me) - I had a map out and was particularly wanting to go beyond Tanbar on a bush track, yaddah yaddah, and I'm pointing and yakking and asking and listening and yakking. After about 15 minutes he told me he was blind - he has these beautiful blue eyes - could hardly believe it.
Guess we'll meet George when he gets here. I take it you aren't coming this year?
FollowupID: 422021

Sponsored Links