Bull bars

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:56
ThreadID: 32857 Views:2214 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have an 05 hilux. I am trying to decide whether to buy an ARB bullbar which I think are good, but quite expensive, or a new poly smart bar, which are 2/300 dollars cheaper. They still have light attachments and aerial attachments. They also offer 100mm driving lights to fit lower holes at under $100. Are they any good? Does anyone have experience of the newer smart bar.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 13:16

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 13:16
Hi there Beastie, will you be putting a winch on in the near future ? I dont believe these bars are any where near as strong as a steel bar or even an alloy for that matter. If your using for just around town then it would be fine, but if you intend to go off road out back travelling or you live in country area then I think you would be mad not to invest in a steel bull bar. What is your life worth only a couple of hundred I think not, have you ever seen the damage done by skippy when you hit him at 100klms or even less, pay the extra $$$$ for the safety of you and your family.I have seen them bend steel bars but the vehicle is still drivable, alloy and the poly bars will give you little protection if you hit skippy and chances are he will be sitting on your lap with you upside down in a ditch after he's come through the windscren. Pay the $$$ . Dont mean to sound like I'm nagging but some people have no idea how easy you or your family could be killed or maimed by roo's. Have a great easter and drive safely. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 166878

Follow Up By: Beastie - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 13:39

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 13:39
I will be putting on a winch and I see they make a steel reinforced, compatible one. Am having a lot of trouble with roos at present due to poor season and fire in our area causing them to spread.
Thanks for the reply and concern for safety.
FollowupID: 422173

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 13:30

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 13:30
There is nothing smart about a smart bar.

Yes they flex back into shape after you hit a roo- but thats Via the bonnet, grill, headlights, radiator support etc, causing 1000's in damage.

You have a $50k car, and your worried about $200?
AnswerID: 166881

Reply By: DesC - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 15:05

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 15:05
Smart bars are called dopey bars where i come from.
AnswerID: 166895

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 15:24

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 15:24
Knew we could rely on you, Truckie, for a sarcastic comment....

Beastie, I have one on my Paj but so far haven't used it in anger. If you want to fit a winch you need to fit it in a steel cradle. Check with Teampoly if there's one suitable for your rig.
Is a lot lighter than a steel or alloy bar and is more compatable with todays modern car designs in regard to crumple characteristics, fully airbag complient etc.
Steel bars are stronger. They don't bend, they just transmit the full impact to the chassis rails, which, on a modern car, can be absolutely disasterous. The rails will just crumple.

Won't affect Truckies old beast as I believe they hadn't invented crumple zones when that was built ;-)
AnswerID: 166899

Reply By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 20:15

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 20:15
I have used a Smart bar in anger, as mentioned in a previous post. The bar was good enough to sell as new. The HJZ75 was a wreck, and sold for parts.
This was at 75kph in a work vehicle fitted with speed recorder.

The company removed all bars and fitted steel.

You have to weigh up where you travel and your requirements.
Even a steel bar can bend if hitting a roo at 100kph.

Its your choice in the end, panel work can be covered by insurance but is a hassle to your daily routine.

Hope you get the best out of the bar you fit. If I was you fit a ARB steel.
AnswerID: 166930

Reply By: turbo 79series - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:26

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:26
Hit a kangaroo at 75ks and i am sure you will be happy that you decided on a bar from ARB.
AnswerID: 166974

Follow Up By: turbo 79series - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:30

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:30
my wife ran into the side of our house a concrete tilt panel at 15ks and stopped dead took a chunck out of the wall just grazed the steel arb bar no damage just smashed on spotty yep . you dont call them the work bench for nothing sorry dear.
FollowupID: 421982

Reply By: macca172 - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:16

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:16
Guys,

Im in the same boat, about to buy a bar for a Nissan Nivara ST-X. Other than price, what the difference technical difference between ARB and TJM steel bars?

Macca
AnswerID: 167046

Follow Up By: Beastie - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 13:36

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 13:36
Hi Macca, Firstly whatever we choose, the help from this forum is great. Some valid points- price is irrelevant to safety, and drive safely and have a good Easter. You are right on the technical detail. It seems all of us have hit roos, my most recent being last week in the wife's Volvo. Quote of $7000 but handling and driver safety perfect. Perhaps the lack of shock I felt was due to the crumpling effect of the car, which gets back to money and safety, just spend it wisely.
I like the idea of flexibility, maybe it will help prevent the airbags going off too. It seems the difference may be in whether you hit a roo, a camel, a tree or someone elses datsun. The smart bar may do best in one instance, the ARB in another. The smart bar would have been helful with the Volvo though.
One thing for the ARB is that we can, expensive again, put side bars on. When I consider all the roos I have hit over the years, its amazing how many actually hop into the side. I am with you, a bit undecided, and want technical help, which only seems to concern effect on pedestrians( smart bar wins) and not the driver or the car.
Whatever, thank you to all who have replied. your answers are helpful, and concern reassurring.
FollowupID: 422172

Sponsored Links