Winch on alloy bullbar

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:31
ThreadID: 32858 Views:10348 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I have a 3.0 patrol turbo diesel and an alloy bar from Nissan
Can I fit a winch to the body just behind the bullbar?
Someone told me I need a steel bullbar but I am suer I have seen winches on alloy ones.
Thanks
Peter

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:53

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:53
Peter

I believe Nissan supply the alloy bull bar as a non winch bar.

Would'nt you also need to cut a hole in the bar for the fairlead? Nissans winch bar is a steel bar as an accessory.

I suspect your information from "someone" is suprisingly! correct.

A phone call to your fiendly Nissan spare parts counter may clarify your question as well.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 166860

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:58

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:58
Peter, if your alloy bar has the hole behind the number plate for the roller then it's winch compatible. If not it is usually possible to add a steel winch cradle & adapt the alloy bar to suit. It would be unlikely there is a cradle direct off the shelf so would need an engineering workshop to fabricate. Possibly less fuss & cheaper to sell the old bar & buy a winch compatible model. There are plenty of alloy winch bars around but they do need to have the extra heavy mounting brackets.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 166865

Reply By: fergus - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 11:22

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 11:22
Thanks Guys I had a chanch to get down to the local 4wd Megastore and the guy there said it was not got to add a winch to that bar becouse of the Driver side airbag.
so I will just have to settle for an armstrong winch for the time being.
Thanks again
Peter
AnswerID: 166867

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 13:07

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 13:07
There was some discussion on this thread about 6 months back. As a result I mounted a winch on the frame behind the bar (plenty of space with bolt threads already mounted on the chassis) and cut a hole in the alloy bar for the guide/rollers. The steel plate I had cut was 10mm but somebody said that a 6mm was good enough. In hind site I agree. There was no hassle and easy to install except I had to rorate the clutch handle for easier access. Whole job exluding the winch cost about $60. Happy to let you have more details if you want. I have used the winch a couple of times with no problems so far.
Cheers

FollowupID: 421846

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 21:01

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 21:01
fergus,
TJM have (or used to have have) an "off the shelf" winch mounting cradle for Patrols...
completely independant of bullbar.. (B'bar can be removed if necessary, leaving winch & fairlead in place)... This cradle is attached to the chassis rails via pre-existing captive nuts...

Obviously, said cradle would be made to suit TJM bars, & the winches they sell...
My Ox (hydraulic) is mounted this way, behind a T15 alloy bar... Works fine:-))

With a different make of bar, it should be only a matter of cutting an opening for the fairlead in the appropriate position...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 166934

Sponsored Links