Noise from 80 Series Transfer Case???

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 13:00
ThreadID: 32862 Views:3202 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all!

The truck is a '94 GXL 80 Series Auto 1FZ-FE, full time four wheel drive.

Basically whenever I go up a steep tricky hill in L4 - if the trucks working a bit or revving high I get a very loud whining hoise from the transfer case or centre diff or whatever it is. The noise tends to hang about even after re selecting H4 and driving away gradually getting quieter and quieter. At first I thought it might've been some "wind-up" but putting the truck in reverse and stabbing the throttle a coupla times wouldn't loosen it so I figured I may have some other problem? This has been a characterisitc of the truck since I've had it and it has never gotten worse (or better). Is it normal or do I have a problem.

Any suggestions?

Scoey! :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 15:49

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 15:49
Sorry mate but I just have to ask, are you sure it's not coming from the passengers seat?
Whenever I used to take my wife and I needed to select low range I would have the same whinning noise you speak of, which would slowly dissipate when I moved back into high range or 2wd again.
Problem was solved by leaving her at home, nice and quite now.

Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 166901

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 16:05

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 16:05
LMAO!! As soon as I posted that I thought, GEEZ shoulda put in a disclaimer! Nah she stays pretty quiet and I've taught her to keep using the same fingernail holes in the console and "Oh sh*t" bar! ;-)

I guess now you just get the whining noise when you get home with scratches all over the truck! ;-)

Cheers
Scoey!
FollowupID: 421861

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 18:08

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 18:08
Scoey

My truck gets a whine up driving in low range (96 model GXL 1HZ diesel) and always has. No problem going slow, but certainly annoying enough that for long slow slogs (eg sandy tracks) high first gets used as much as possible.

Never heard it when back in Hi range though - with or without the centre diff lock engaged

If its always been there probably normal - too late to make a warranty claim though!

Max
AnswerID: 167031

Sponsored Links