Suzuki 4wd

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 17:38
ThreadID: 32867 Views:2291 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me if the Suzuki Grand Vitirai are like as an off roader. Would like to get rid of the 80 Landcruiser 4500 petrol. Are they any good as a 4wd???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 18:39

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 18:39
Hi Skidsteer. I don't know about the S G Vitara , But i do have a suzuki x90 a little 2 seeter targa roof 1600 motor & i presume all the same running gear as the vitara . It does not have a lift kit is stock standard & it has gone most places the patrol's & yota's have gone . there are people on this forum will vouch for this. I don't think you will go too far wrong with a Suzuki. Cheer's Bob.
AnswerID: 166920

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 20:04

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 20:04
I'll back you up Bob.
Skidster, there is a photo of Bob's beast on my rig profile (at the bottom of this response) if you don't know exactly what the X90 looks like.

No doubt the Suzuki would not be as forgiving as the Cruiser or Patrol on driver errors in unforgiving territory but it definately goes everywhere most people would want it to go. Out of all the smaller vehicles available, it is my opinion that, the Suzuki would have to be one of the better ones. The Grand Vitara's do have a lot more low slung cladding to be mindful of but there is plenty of after market lift kits and wheel combo's to get you that bit higher if you so desire.

Regards Trevor.
FollowupID: 421928

Reply By: Laura B - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 21:31

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 21:31
I had a little 94 zoook Sierra and couldnt kill the thing in the bush but it get hauled up a heaps of hills ( Black wood fire trail ) . Nathans old boss did cape trip in his Grand.......spose it'd be good.........but there is a huge diff between an 80 and a grand.....size for a start!.........depends on what you want it to do hey!! Good lck....

Laura B
AnswerID: 166940

Reply By: Brian B- Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 03:12

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 03:12
Hello Skidsteer,

We have a SG Vitara so far it has done Kings Canyon & surrounds, Oodnadatta Track in March last year. GRR/Kalumbaru & the Bungle Bungles in August with no problems.

You do have to take a lot more care (as previously mentioned) with route selection as the vehicle is quite low. We have side steps fitted & they have had a few nudges to date.

We are off to the Cape next year & I will probably remove the steps for extra clearance. We have the rear lifted (springs & Polyairs) & as yet have not found anyone up here to lift the front. I should also mention we towed a camper trailer on the above trips.

Overall a good vehicle with heaps of power (2.5lt V6) but height limitations & at this stage no snorkel (that I am aware of) available for ABS model, hopefully someone will make one soon.

If you need any more info let me know, happy to help if I can.

See Ya

Brian B
Brian B (NT now Bris)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 166961

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 04:09

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 04:09
If you are thinking of buying a new GV then don't. They have minimal ground clearance and susceptable components mounted down low. The older ones (GV and Vitaras) with the beam rear axle are OK up to a very early point. (some have an alloy front diff that is likely to crack around the pinion)

The manufacturers refused to put the new GV on the 4wd track at the Melbourne car show due to the fact that they blew the power steering on the 4WD test track outside during the first day (peeled off the plastic bashplate, and landed on a P/S pipe). This was not the first time they had had issues with the vehicle at car shows (not even 4WD shows!). I was meant to be one of the drivers for three of the days of the show.

If you are doing flat level dirt roads, OK, but much above that in the new ones, I wouldnt take the chance.
AnswerID: 166965

Reply By: Member - Nifty1 (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:49

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:49
I can't speak to the current model but I have an early 2005 version (the just superceded model with the solid rear axle).
I think it's great, I don't try and do superhuman feats in it but for exploring the forest around Canberra and the Snow country it has been fine.

You'd certainly notice the drop in grunt from the petrol 80 series, the clearance is 200mm but you can get a lift kit for it .
Some accessories are difficult to get for example the only snorkel I have seen for my Grand Vitara is on the Suzisport site, I have not been able to source a long range or auxilary fuel tank at all and I got a good nudge bar from ECB.
You can get side bars but I don't want to lose any clearance (my suspension is standard, at the moment). I have a Hayman Reese heavy towbar which does unfortunately hamper the rear clearance .

If you want to see some pictures of what is done with these trucks have a look at the North Brisbane Suzuki club site .

AnswerID: 167306

Sponsored Links