140s V 170s Lightforce

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 22:39
ThreadID: 32874 Views:2185 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

I have extensively searched through the forum threads on Lightforce driving lights but have not seen any comparision data.

I know I want to fit that brand as I am impressed with their quality and robustness. I also dont want to obstruct airflow to my radiator or have them protrude outside the bar as;
1. its not legal
2.to protect them from impact, ( yes I know they are tough ! )

Most vehicles I have seen the lights are massive 240s. I am thinking of going with 140s due to the above reasons, Has anyone used this model, are 170s that much better. 110 K candle power V 300 K is mentioned on the LF site is it noticable?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 23:28

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 23:28
I sell both and yes the 240 Blitz are big. The 170 Striker's will do the job for 90 % of the road users. Go for the 240's if you are off road 90 % of the time.

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 166954

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 00:03

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 00:03
Thanks Derek,

As I lost the fog lamps when I installed the Gen Nissan bar, do you think I could wire the LF 170s to the same loom as its connected to the indicator stalk?
Basicaly I would use that as the on off switch and use the dim as normal for operation. Would it be too much current draw ? Not real good on sparky matters.

I am still interested in getting a dual battery system from you for my diesel ST-L been a bit busy to chase it up. ( I sent you an email in Feb ) Have you had any feed back from users on the installation, any changes to the unit.

Cheers TPM

FollowupID: 421961

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 09:56

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 09:56
Give me a ring when you are ready. You can use the existing wiring but we will run a new relay and live feed.

Regards Derek.
FollowupID: 421997

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 17:19

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 17:19
I agree, install a relay it will be better light and you wont have any existing loom worries, and its pretty easy too
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 422035

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 08:00

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 08:00
When I bought mine 3 years back I had the bounus of driving past the factory each day - dropped in for some good oil (they don't retail but). At that time, turned out the smaller ones had the very same 100W globe as the larger 240's - the 240's had a higher candlepower rating but the same energy consumption, meaning I suppose that the larger ones are more efficient at sending the light out there. I chose the 170's, due to bullbar design. Have been very good to date - they truly make the headlights on the Jackaroo (even with upmarket globes in them) appear as the proverbial glow-worms in a pickle jar ! Maths being what it is, we should be mindful of a small increase in diameter having a steep rise in the surface area of the lamps - the biggies would stop a lot of extra air flow.... but that may not matter. The ability to vary the focus, and to use clip on lens options are great overall.
AnswerID: 166979

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 16:51

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 16:51
Thanks Darren,

That was the info I was after I appreciate your help.

Cheers TPM
FollowupID: 422032

Reply By: blown4by - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 10:43

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 10:43
Do yourself a favour & research other makes as well, especially from makes of long world standing who publish factual technical information and performance figures that are obtained from laboratory testing. Sure read all the sales blurb and wordy stuff that we all love to hear but don't make the lights perform any better and regarding comparative testing done by so called reputable 4x4 magazines treat it very warily. Re quality I am very dissatisfied with the globe performance on my 240's (they regularly get black "smokey" stains inside the glass which affects performance & beam shape) and yes, "they are operating on the correct voltage". Re robustness, that is debatable. For normal use they are probably fine but hit a roo or an emu and they just "explode", just ask any professional truckie. Since there are only really two parts that make up the entire lamp or at least are serviced as spare parts, you are up for at least half a new lamp every time. We have a couple of sets of Rallye 4000's operating on other vehicles in the family and I would use them every time for my money. Re using the excising wiring you need to run whatever lamps you get through a good relay and as large diameter wiring for the power supply and earth leads as is sensible say 5 or 6mm direct from the battery with an in-line fuse. That way you get maximum voltage to the lamps which is critical for good performance. Oh yeah and don't operate the lamps off a separate switch alone, always via the high beam so they ALWAYS dip when you dip your lamps in case you or someone else forgets to turn off the lamps when you face an oncoming vehicle. That way you can still turn the lamps off via a separate switch and have the vehicles high beam operating but whenever you dip the vehicle h/lamps the driving lamps will go out if the separate switch is on.
AnswerID: 167114

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 19:07

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 19:07
G'day Blown

I was also considering the Rallye 4000 compact series, had hellas before and have always been happy with them.
On the stalk is a on off switch as well as the dim function, I didnt see the point of wiring a switch onto the dash when there is a factory one installed. Prob didnt explain myself very well.

Thanks for your input some good point listed there.

TPM
FollowupID: 422206

Reply By: blown4by - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 23:15

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 23:15
Yeah apparently the compact series have the same performance as the Rallye 4000's
Good Luck
AnswerID: 167189

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 23:20

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 23:20
cheers TPM : )
FollowupID: 422252

Sponsored Links