camping west of newcastle nsw

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 22:41
ThreadID: 32875 Views:5973 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Want to go camping west of newcastle nsw and dunno and good places that are unpopular!!its not for this weekend...we are hybinating!!

dont like caravan parks - too populated....like bush camping.....

any ideas - dont care how west - we just want to try a new place

coming from Nowra.....

Laura b
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hoyks - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 23:07

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 23:07
There is some camping in the forest between Dungog and Barrington. Grab a copy of the NSW Central Coast Forest map from NSW Forestry or a camping store and have a look.
AnswerID: 166952

Reply By: Member - Loco Locums - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:11

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:11
Cullymurra Waterhole.........North West of Newcastle and just East of Innamincka.

Like you we hate van parks and all the associated problems of high density living.

We're having 2 months in the centre in 10 days time.
Cheers
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 166972

Reply By: Member - Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:45

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:45
Watagans is also worth a go.
AnswerID: 166975

Reply By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 17:23

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 17:23
Hello Laura B,
In front of me now I have three REALLy well thumbed maps, they where all published by "The Forestry Commission of NSW" I don't think they exist anymore!!
They cover Barrington Tops State Forests, Buladelah State Forest and Newcastle State Forests.
From that list my favourite is the Barrington Tops map, a tad northwest of Newcastle. On that sheet you can choose from the following areas,
Avon River State Forest,
Chichester State Forest,
Masseys Creek State Forest,
Mount Royal State Forest,
Stewarts Brook State Forest,
Copeland Tops State Forest,
Bowman State Forest,
Coneac State Forest,

All of these surround the Barrington Tops National Park.

If possible chase down some of these maps, there are an enormous number of camping sites available in the Newcastle area from the three maps I listed above.
One of my favourites within the Barrington Tops National Park is Frying Pan Creek camping area.
A good central point to base your explorations.

If you can be a little more specific so can I,

Trust I'll catch you up camping soon,
Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 167027

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:16

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 19:16
Great thanks Geoff! this list looks so good....will get looking at maps and ill trust ya on the frying oan creek one! ill go there for the name!!

hows the late santa pressie going????

dont know how much more specific i can be hey....will be leaving on a sunday morning coming back on wed. morning.....uuuummmmmm.......yeah thats about it.....

Laura
FollowupID: 422054

Follow Up By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 23:36

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 23:36
All sounds good Laura,
Just thought of another interesting place, right up on top of Barrington above Moonan Brook and Moonan Flats is Poll Blue camping area. Gets seriously cold and snowy up there in winter. It's not far from where the Packer family property Elliston is located. You can access this area from the New England Highway side of Barrington.
Frying Pan Creek is best accessed from the Dungog side of Barrington.

Moonan Flats pub is always good value. Used to be an old bloke lived up that way who rode his horse to the pub. Some nights it took the old guy 30 minutes to climb up on that horse. Clever animal it was too. The old bloke would get a to a certain angle and the horse would stop, wait for him to fall off and climb back on again begore continuing the journey. The horse did all the driving on the trip home!!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 422086

Follow Up By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 23:38

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 23:38
Oh yeah, Santa's late present is going real well. Fitted the Kaymar rear bar this morning.
Dual battery system probably next week.
A trundle along Stockton Beach is on the list for Sunday.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 422088

Follow Up By: wheeleybin - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:04

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:04
West of Newcastle is West Wallsend and next door is Mt Sugarloaf Geoff you left it out its just over the swamp from you.
Wheeley
FollowupID: 422502

Follow Up By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 18:22

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 18:22
You got me wheely, forgot about Sugie,

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 422524

Sponsored Links