caravan parks at broome

Submitted: Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 10:47
ThreadID: 32885 Views:2035 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We will be in Broome mid August and wondering which caravan park to stay at ... would welcome any information. Also hoping to go to Middle Lagoon. Has anyone been on the road that leaves the highway about 40kms from Willare Bridge and comes out on Cape Leveque road just after Beagle Bay? Wondering if it is ok and also wondering if permit needed for Middle Lagoon?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:12

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:12
Greetings

Book Ahead!!! A search on this site using Broome, Cape Leveque, Middle Lagoon will provide lots of info.

To get you started Message Numbers 21423 25968 10191 Use the message number search at the top of the forum page.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 166992

Follow Up By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:13

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:13
Place the message number in the "Post Find" box.

Paul
FollowupID: 422005

Follow Up By: vivvie - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:41

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:41
Thanks Paul..looks like I've got my afternoon's entertainment organised now. Nothing better than planning a trip..the anticipation is almost, not quite, as good as the actual real thing.

Vivvie
FollowupID: 422006

Reply By: browndog01 - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:22

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:22
I lived in a caravan park in Broome for 5years and have only just moved.To me the best one is Roebuck bay caravan park as it is situated right on the way,not to say the others are no good.
If you plan on taking to take the back road up to the Cape.....I hope you are not going to tow anything as it can be very rough at times...even the main road can be hazardous to vanners.Road conditions vary all the time but general poor...
Have fun in Broome, its a great place , but allow the time to explore
AnswerID: 166993

Follow Up By: vivvie - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:43

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:43
Thanks for the information. We will be towing an off road camper trailer so will have to look into the road conditions thoroughly before we decided. Also thanks for info on Roebuck Bay cp.

vivvie
FollowupID: 422007

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:51

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:51
Vivvie

Towed ours to Middle Lagoon. No problems but it is/was a very corrugated and sandy-rocky etc road. High range 4x4 and not too slow.

Middle Lagoon was very nice. Toilets and showers were basic but a lovley spot.

Paul
AnswerID: 167002

Follow Up By: vivvie - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 14:32

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 14:32
Thanks Paul I appreciate your information. I'm looking forward to getting up there and seeing it all for myself

Vivvie
FollowupID: 422018

Reply By: browndog01 - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:52

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:52
vivvie.
I have towed an offroad camper with a tinne over nearly every square inch of the Kimberly(yes it takes a long time in a 2.8 diesel hilux) and in the dry season you should have not a problem- depending how much you want to put your vehicle throu.
There are nice places to explore around Middle lagoon and Cape Laveque, but do take some time to explore the road that runs to JamesPrice point.It runs along the coast line and there is free camping along the way.
If u required more info..just let me know.cheers
AnswerID: 167003

Follow Up By: vivvie - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 14:45

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 14:45
Thank you for the advice. You said ask if I needed more info...well...We're going up the Gibb River Road to Mitchell Falls. Would it be a dreadful mistake not to go all the way up to Kalumbaru even though we don't fish and have no boat? Most people write saying how great it is because of the fishing. I have seen a picture of the church and have read about the museum...so I'd like to see them plus I'd like to look out over the sea from the top of the Kimberley. What do you think?
FollowupID: 422024

Reply By: Kenell - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 14:03

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 14:03
Vivvie

We travelled to Broome and Cp Leveque in September last year. We chose the "back road" exactly half way between Derby and Broome rather driving all the way into Broome then up to the cape. It was sensational then. We had just come off the Gibb R Rd and Kalumburu Rd a week or so before and by comparison it was heaven. A little sandy in spots but nothing that required more than dropping back a gear. Very little corrugation. I towed about 1200kgs of camper and tinnie behind my 3.0l Nissan Patrol. This route saved me about 3 to 4 hrs. We came back from cape via conventional route and it was a bit bumpy but at 70kph I had lots pass me so that gives you a clue. Conditions can change up there at the drop of a hat. Lots of works happening around the communities near Cp Leveque and bitumen being laid to provide exit routes during cyclone season we were told. There were quite a few vans at Middle Lagoon when we were there and they had no dramas with the conditions. Some had been there six months. At that time we didn't need to book at Middle Lagoon and to be honest it would be hard to imagine it booked out but I believe it can be and it is best to call ahead. We also booked a hut at Cape Leveque for a couple of nights and that was sensational. Just backed the camper up to it for sleeping and spent the day in the water and under the shelter looking out to sea. Whales were giving birth right in front of "our" hut (about 1 k out). We felt very privileged.
Dont miss Barn Hill about an hour and a half south of Broome. Easy track in and a real highlight of our trip. The Horizontal Falls flights (and onite stay on a boat) out of Derby was also a highlight and although it set us back about $700 it was well worth it.
I envy you. If I can assist further dont hesitate to email.

Ken
AnswerID: 167008

Follow Up By: vivvie - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 14:47

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 14:47
Ken
Thanks for all the information. I think that I will call Middle Lagoon and book. The road sounds like it would be a good option too, rather than doubling up on the Cape Leveque road. The Horizontal Falls flight sounded great too so am going to check that out.

Thanks once again and happy travelling
FollowupID: 422025

Follow Up By: Kenell - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 15:25

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 15:25
Vivvie,

We did Kalumburu also and it was my second visit in 5 years. First time we encountered significant river crossings on the way but last year it was dry. So dry in fact that they had dreadful bushfires around Mitchell Falls so we actually avoided going there. We fish so Kalumburu is a bit of a haven for us. I noticed that the mood had changed in the community between visits and there was a disturbance not long after our visit in Sept that required Police being flown in to settle. Apparently got quite nasty. The Priest, the church and the history is quite incredible and if you go you will be amazed but do it soon as the Priest is of failing health. He is one of life's treasures. The road is or at least was tough on the truck. Corrugations were 300mm deep for some distance and we needed to stop and settle down every 20mins or so. I had put new suspension in knowing what the road was like and it was money well spent. No repair facilities past Drysdale Station but plenty of fuel etc. Camping is well out of the community and although it is basic it is pretty good. Cyclones have taken their toll and shade can be a bit scarce but otherwise ok. I dont want to put you off but if you dont fish (and even fishing from the rocks can be fruitful) you wont need more than a couple of days there. I would go again with or without boat but I have developed a bit of a soft spot for it. Many people we have spoken to have difficulty understanding that but others seem to have been similarly bitten.
Good luck

Ken
FollowupID: 422027

Follow Up By: vivvie - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 15:55

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 15:55
Thank you Ken,
You have inspired me to go and visit Kalumbaru..no matter if we don't fish. Years ago I saw photos of the nun on the tractor and then there was a tv program about the museum and Father Anselm (is that right?). Both of those things plus wanting to stand on the edge of the Kimberley made me want to go up there. Sometimes its not just what you can do at a place but the sense of achievement that getting there gives you as well as finding out more about what makes different places unique. We have a 2001 3.0litre diesel Prado. We are towing an Outback Camper Trailer. I think if we take it easy and not rush we should be fine. I can't wait for August!!

Viv
FollowupID: 422029

Reply By: browndog01 - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 15:51

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 15:51
Vivvie,
I agree with Ken that the trip up the Gibb River Rd is awesome, there is so much to see and do we spent 3months on the Gibb last year.Sorry to correct you Ken on one little thing, at Drysdale station , there is a bush mechanic on duty for minor repairs and he is good at what he does,( I know cause my car was in the workshop for a few hours).
If you travel south of Broome, most people go to 80 mile beach, but there is also a little place called Port Smith,it is quieter than 80mile, and if you get on the good side of the managers they can point you in the direction of a few lovely places.
Make sure you go to the Bungles, walk the gorges first , then do the chopper flight,I have done it a couple of times and would do it again at the drop of a pin.

I think anyone who has done the Kimberly loves to rave about how special a place it is..We have over a thousand photos the area,( which i hope the other half would stop printing cause is costing me a small fortune in ink)..

Enjoy your travels

Browndog
AnswerID: 167017

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 21:55

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 21:55
lovely to see how many people had a good run up to Cape Leveque...missus and me last July had a few yokels scare bleep out of us at midnight...invaded the tent ( we were sound asleep) screaming and shouting ...and got no further sleep that night...slept the next day to recover and got the hell out of there and back to base ASAP..(Sydney) ..that stuffed our plans to travel further down the coast of W.A. and across to Alice via Tom Price and all those other areas...

Next time..if ever .. will have a rifle by my side and as I was informed later, call a warning after my first shot..

Wont be back there again in a hurry and as for Broome ...well u can shove it so far up mine..
AnswerID: 167070

Sponsored Links