Pajero 2.8 lt turbo diesel

Submitted: Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 20:30
ThreadID: 32899 Views:7378 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
HI,
Has anyone had experience with the 2.8lt turbo diesel engine they use in the Pajero.
I am considering a 1996 - 98 Pajero as a vehicle to purchase and am thinking of the 2.8lt turbo diesel.
Are these engines a good reliable unit,what are they like for towing,I tow a light caravan at times.
Also the early Pajero's suffered from gearbox problems,do this vintage 96 -98 pajero suffer from this problem.
Anything I should look for when checking out a Pajero.
Thank you to anyone who responds to my question.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 19:06

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 19:06
Check out the following web site;

www.pajeroclub.com.au/

I have a swb 2.8 turbo diesel (auto). It is a 'winterised' version ex factory.
I was hard driving in sand drifts and dunes for about 3 hours today practising sand driving techniques with some challenging climbs and trying not to get to much air when cresting ridges, this was followed by a 50 km run on a very soft sand beach. The soft beach really gave the transmission a hard workout. The gps said I was only averaging 52 kmph and I kept an eye on the temp gauge. The temp stayed on normal and the A/T light stayed off. My vehicle has a seperate A/T oil cooler radiator in front of the air con radiator, not all Pajeros have this. The standard Pajero A/T cooling tube should be replaced with an after market improved version otherwise I don't think you will have any problems but I am sure you will get lots more advice on this forum.
AnswerID: 167156

Reply By: Axle - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 14:35

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 14:35
Peter.

I had a triton ute with the 2.5lt motor, and had a eceptional run out of it.

As far as ive heard the 2.8 ltr is one of the most bullet proof motors out there

But like all diesels you must be particular with the servicing.

Cheers Axle
AnswerID: 167232

Sponsored Links