CAV V's STD fuel filter

Submitted: Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 21:26
ThreadID: 32902 Views:3308 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Now we have our cruiser back I want to have the best filter set up I can.I have a CAV filter ass(with primer) that we used on our 4 Runner or can leave std setup on(didnt help much first time round).Or can I use both together but have heard something about pump struggling to suck through two filter setups.
Also does anyone know the micron rating for std filters and Lucas type filters(I guess they vaiery between brands).
Vehicle is a HZJ105 Cruiser(1HZ)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 22:10

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 22:10
Always found it interesting the hzj 79 comes with a canister pre filter where as the 105 just makes do with the primary. Surely it is the same pump? (assume nothing)
AnswerID: 167073

Reply By: bombsquad - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 09:22

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 09:22
Gday Nick

Try the guys at Vanderfield (John Deere dealership) - they are quite knowlegeable, very helpful, and generally pretty good on price (especially for the Kimberley)

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 167107

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:36

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:36
Gday Andrew,will ask them tommorrow seing as I work there!!!!
FollowupID: 422467

Follow Up By: bombsquad - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 14:10

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 14:10
Glad I only had nice things to say about them!
FollowupID: 422484

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 11:30

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 11:30
Nick,

The standard filter fitted to 80 series turbo's work well. Part No. 23303-56040.
Will fit the normal filterhead, and the water warning screws on bottom, no worries.

Dozer recommends an electric fuel pump, name escapes me now, to improve performance, and overcome any fuel starvation problems, with the CAV filters.

As well as dirty fuel causing problems, the practice of running one tank dry in 80's and 100's, before switching over, can lead to rapid pump wear too. They like plenty of clean fuel, for lubrication and cooling.

Cost us $3150 to repair the pump in our 80, bought 2nd hand. Big slug! Diesel repairer we use recommended a straight water trap, also Lucas, rather than another filter. The w'trap, which I've never fitted, looks like the CAV, but is only a glass bowl. Didn't fit it because the fuel pipe size was much smaller then the standard turbo fuel line.

hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 167117

Reply By: desert - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 14:40

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 14:40
You are not gaining anything by fitting another filter of the same Micron rating. I think from memory the CAV is 30 micron, I am sure somebody will correct me if this is wrong. The Franz (toilet roll type) is down to 10 micron, I ran one of these in-line with the factory filter on an MQ Patrol, no problems with fuel starvation.
Just the other day a friend connected up a Facet in-line electric fuel pump between tank and injection pump and performance has improved out of sight and fuel consumption has dropped, he got 9.3 kms/litre with 14foot van on tow. Can't argue with that! This is on an 80 series, 1HZ.
AnswerID: 167136

Follow Up By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 17:45

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 17:45
Hi Desert, I'm interested in how/why he got an improvment in power and economy by putting in the extra fuel pump??

The injector pumps on a 1HZ are a rotary design and they actually use about 4 times the volume of fuel that the engine uses. The other 3 parts diesel are used to lube and cool the pump then returned to the tank (Which also means your fuel is filtered many times before being injected in the cylinders). So if the motor is starving for fuel you will have bigger problems than a lack of power. This is also why you shouldn't run your tanks low all the time because the recirculating fuel (especially in summer) gets warmer and warmer and obviously can't cool the injector pump as well.

Anyway, I may be missing something but I can't see how more pressure/fuel to the pump wil make any difference.
FollowupID: 422190

Follow Up By: desert - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 17:21

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 17:21
Yes, I was sceptical too at first and could not see any reason for any increase in performance or economy. But his figures are genuine, so much so that I am going experiment with my Nissan and see if I get similar results.
I believe that the injection timing is pressure dependant or rather, is susceptable to fuel pressure within the centrifical advance mechanism. This somehow alters the timing and/or advances the timing which would account for the performance increase or horsepower increase and the subsequent fuel savings come from having to lift off the throttle due to more power available. Of additional importance is the instance of longrange tanks where the extended fuel pick up pipe is enough to make the pump struggle to lift fuel and maintain pressure on the lift side of the injection pump, prior to the fuel entering the high-pressure side for injection. Thats the only way I can account for it. After I have fitted the pump to my own truck I'll re-post the results.
FollowupID: 422344

Follow Up By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:11

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:11
Yeah I can see some reasoning in what your saying. Please let me know how your trial goes. Just sounds too simple. Bit like one of those "can't lose" investments. Ha Ha. Lets hope your successfull.
FollowupID: 422373

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:56

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:56
I've a CAV on my HJ61 and would really prefer to have a screw on type filter. Aligning all the seals, filter, glass bowl and bottom plate is really awkward as where I have the unit mounted I have to lean over and do it all from the top of the filter. They key I guess is to mount it in a place where you can access it easily - but a spin on would be easier.

Ryco told me, via email, their R2132P for use in the CAV unit is rated at 15 micron nominal at the start of it's life. I'm not sure what the difference is with something thats not nominal, and am assuming it filters finer as it gets to the end of it's life, but 15 micron is fine for me, pardon the pun. I got it to extend the life of my main filter.

An aux electric pump would make priming easier, but I'm running a cheap $2 plastic filter, the CAV and the main filter AND using vege oil and the standard lift pump is sucking away quite happily. That said, I am planning to install an electric aux pump to make it all work easier.

Tim
FollowupID: 422564

Sponsored Links