1HZ running rough at idle...

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 13:16
ThreadID: 32912 Views:10551 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
It's booked in for the mechanic to look at after Easter.... but what's your guess? Last day in Tassie a couple of weeks ago filled up with diesel. May not be connected but I noticed that the SupaTrupa was idling very roughly... got out and had a look... white smoke from the exhaust..

Not a lot, but there where it wasn't before.

Got off the boat and checked more closely and found a bolt missing from an engine mount... replaced that and settled things a bit. I also bought some Nulon Diesel conditioner and think a small improvement.

Still idling roughly.... runs fine otherwise with no obvious loss of power or extra fuel consumption. It's using a bit of oil, but has been for a while.

Lots of white smoke on cold start up, but that's not unusual..

Make your guesses and I'll let you know who was right after Thurs this week.

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kesh - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 15:19

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 15:19
More than likely the fuel filters are chockablock, the injection pump has cried enough and even the injectors have called it a day. You have probably never have the valve clearances checked and the fact it is using oil indicates that its first oil change is possibly the last one it had.
Royce, Sad to say this but I suspect you are a victim of your own negligence. Just re read your post, all the symptoms are there.
kesh
AnswerID: 167139

Reply By: brd - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:29

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:29
Royce

White smoke on cold start indicates loss of compression, if it disappears fairly quickly as it warms up. Pretty common that sticking rings will cause this due to sludgy oil. Compression test would be useful.

Best of luck
AnswerID: 167177

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:38

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:38
First thing I would do is pull out the primary filter cannister out and have a look. White smoke on startup could be the glowplugs on way out, note for harder starting in the mornings as it cools down
AnswerID: 167181

Reply By: Allan R - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 22:45

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 22:45
Royce

I'll take 1 guess, the fuel pump. You can notice the uneven amounts of fuel at idle but not at faster revs.

Allan
AnswerID: 167484

Sponsored Links