Hilux 3 ltr diesel (non Turbo)

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 23:12
ThreadID: 3295 Views:2745 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with a 2000 twin cab Hilux diesel? Daughter is thinking of buying one with 80000 kms on the clock. Coming from "a friend" who has had it for about 12 months. Previous history before that not known but was originally a hire car. (I don't know who for). Would it be suitable for towing small boat and beach work. Also occasional long distance bitumen travel. (1500 kms).Probably no serious off roading.

Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andy - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 13:43

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 13:43
I have the same vehicle which is an SR5 with the 3.0 litre(non turbo). I have 83,000 kms on the clock and it is stil a great vehicle. It would tow a small boat with no trouble but with 4 or 5 people and a ute full of gear it will struggle on hills a bit. Turbo may be a better option. I would be careful buying an ex hire car as they normally are never very well treated by the hirers (I have never treatred a hire car like it was my own). It may have been in salt water or given a really hard life in the bush. Have to ask why the friend is selling it after only 12 months. Has he found something wrong with it? Most 4WD vehicles can handle the beach with the correct tyre pressures but personally I would never put a car on the beach as once the cancer (rust) starts it is irreversable. I have seen many beached cars only last a few years even with regular washing. It will be a good vehicle but understand its limitations when towing with a load on board. Andy
AnswerID: 12798

Follow Up By: Terry - Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 02:31

Friday, Feb 14, 2003 at 02:31
Thanks Andy.
Will pass your comments on
Terry.
FollowupID: 7658

Sponsored Links