GU -Turbo and speedo problems

Submitted: Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 22:33
ThreadID: 32974 Views:2346 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 3l 2000 GU Patrol ZD, just out of extended warranty, with 150k kms under the belt and I'm having a loss of power lately especially on the hills and I think it may be the turbo not kicking in properly.Is it likely to be the turbo or is the engine just getting a bit passed it? Has anybody else had problems with the ZD?

I'm also having a frustrating time with my speedo dropping out, only at night. I've had it to the Auto electrician four times but , of course, the problem is not there when I present and they can't reproduce it. The tacho,temp gauge and sometimes the fuel gauge also drop out. Later they all may come on again so the problem is intermittent. Anyone experienced this?
The dual battery kit, the engine earth, the lights have all been checked and the dash wiring, including earth is OK.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Squizzy - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:11

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:11
Grader,

Have your Air Flow Meter checked, it could be causing the lack of power problem.

A for your speedo, etc. Not sure about that one.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 167497

Follow Up By: Leroy - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:39

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:39
the consensus would be air flow meter. But there have been cases when it's checked ok and it was actually faulty. See what nissan say when they check it. Even if you bought it and it wasn't the prob it doesn't hurt having the spare and you could sell it when you sell the vehicle.

Leroy
FollowupID: 422672

Follow Up By: trev s qld - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 14:38

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 14:38
i was wondering if you found problem with your 2000 patrol power loss.
i have same problem 145000 klm after towing 3 ton van approx 50000km. power boost doesn,t come in until 2800rpm, previously 22500rpm under heavy load. i haven,t had it checked yet
regards trev
FollowupID: 426582

Follow Up By: trev s qld - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 19:11

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 19:11
following up on question 6th may "air flow meter". i tried to clean with magic wd40 and blow dry with air. result absolutely no turbo boost. so installed new air sensor insert and magic back to full power. i think the sensor was failing gradually as i now seem to have boost from around 1500rpm. after reading forum i think i must have the only 2000 model that hasn,t had any problems with motor or gearbox although i didn,t tow 3 ton van in fifth. i think i might go for dry air filter as it was possible oil was problem with sensor.maybee my motor has lasted as i change every 5000k. but you never know the future
regards trev
FollowupID: 429025

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 19:24

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 19:24
trev,

Manager at my local Nissan dealer recomeded not to use the dry nissan filters as they don't filter as well as the oiled paper filters resulting in the maf sensor being sandblasted.
Also happy to see you solved your power prob.

Leroy
FollowupID: 429029

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 16:14

Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 16:14
Unlike yours my GU has only done 50,000 klms and recently exhibited problems with power when towing the van. It had to work real hard with some smoke coming out of the air scoup when pulling the van up the Toowoomba Range at Easter. Upon my return I took it into Nissan thinking it was a air flow sensor but found that the problem was with the turbo. Oil was getting past the gaskets and were stuffing up the operation. Nissan replaced it under warrenty.

Do't assume that your problem ios with the air flow sensor until you have had it fully checked out by a qualified mechanic and a Nissan one to that. My local bloke, who I have great faith in, thought it was the sensor and was suprised to hear that the turbo was at fualt.

Lets hope that whatever it is, it's not real expensive especially now that you are out of warrenty.

Best of luck,

Cheers, Patrick
AnswerID: 171156

Reply By: grader - Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 22:24

Sunday, May 07, 2006 at 22:24
Thanks guys you were right, it was the sensor. $200 later and it is going like a dream! Funny that the first check on the computer didn't pick it up but the second did.
The speedo has been a different saga. After two more days at the Auto elec. they finally deduced it is the speedo itself which needs replacing. Costs over $1000!
Since I reported it to Nissan before the warranty ran out I am hoping they will come to the party!
AnswerID: 171435

Sponsored Links