Trip to Innamincka

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:39
ThreadID: 32977 Views:3550 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Starting to plan a trip with friends to Innamincka leaving Brisbane September 06 and continuing on to Camerons Corner and back home through Northern NSW.
Both families have camper trailers and kids and looking at a total of 2weeks.

Any advice, key points of interest, Good camping areas etc. Vehicle set up. We have diesel prado with dual tanks, friends have Pajero 3litre V6.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:58

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:58
Did this trip for the first time about 5 years ago, and did a similar one again 2 years ago.
We are also Brisbane based on the southside.
2 weeks a bit tight, but then we never have enough time for any trip, so it is like a hard drive, you always manage to fill it up no matter what you do.

First question, how much have you seen between Brisy and Cunamulla?
Reason I ask is that the first time, even though I had been to St George and Eulo myself a few times, the wife hadn't, so we took some time filling that in first.

How do you normally travel? When we travelled with our 2 boys, we usually did a few one night stops and then had a couple or three days in one spot. Otherwise they got restless and tired, and grumpy kids are no fun to travel with. Do they enjoy national parks or fossicking? One son is a real rock collector.

Broad brush - assuming 14 days.
4 days to Innamincka, stopping at St George, Cunamulla, Thargomindah.
Don't forget the fossicking just north west of Eulo, and the date palm plantation at Eulo. I think it is still open. Cunamulla has it's own visitors centre, call in for ideas.
Don't forget the Noccundra pub after Thargomindah, camp a night on the Thompson?
3 to 4 days around Innamincka. Plenty to do. Take a canoe if you can. See the Burke and Wills memorial and Coongee lakes. The old Inland Mission station.
Drive throught o Tibboburra in one day via Merty Merty and camerons corner.
2 to 3 days at Tibboburra, visiting old mining area and local national park. It has a scenic drive that has a few interesting old buildings as well.

Come back via Burke and Lightning Ridge.
Will post more ideas as they come to mind.
AnswerID: 167505

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:11

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:11
Also visit Mud springs near Eulo

Take Bore Track to Bollards Lagoon. A nice run though the dunes and pans
FollowupID: 422685

Follow Up By: Laura B - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:46

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:46
Dunes ..... you mean Im gonna deal with sand!!! AAAAAHHHHHHH !!!!! I hate sand !! oh well!!

Laura
FollowupID: 422697

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:24

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:24
DUNE is a four-letter word.

Don't worry it is thru the dunes, not over them- well not unless it has been really windy :-)
FollowupID: 422744

Reply By: Mingara - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:05

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:05
We have seen a fair bit between Brisbane and Cunnumulla. The other family has travelled a bit more than us. I like to stop overnight as needed and then few days in one place to seet he sights etc.

Cheers
AnswerID: 167506

Reply By: Laura B - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:50

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:50
Reola Station - about 170km north of White Cliffs ...... sheer 2500 sheep / day in sheering season!!!

Heres the link:

Site Link

havent been there yet but will be in a few months......need to book to go there....worth it though i reckon!!!

Laura B
AnswerID: 167513

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 18:32

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 18:32
Laura

Nah, bleep y ltlle dunes.

Better not go to the Simpson then?

Question: Why do the people go to the desert
Answer: Because of the sand which is there. (sandwiches)

LOL

FollowupID: 422820

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 13:07

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 13:07
Just south of Tibboburra is Depot Glen and Mt Poole and even Poole's grave.
Mt Poole must have one of the biggest cairns around (track up to the top). Apparently Sturt got his men to build it to occupy themselves while waiting at depot glen for rain.

A very sobering place to reflect on the efforts of explorers.

Don't forget the DIG tree just before you reach Innaminka. Another spot to ponder the navigation skills of explorers to leave a tree, walk thousand kms north and then be able to come back and find the same tree.

Enjoy the trip!
AnswerID: 167553

Reply By: Fusion - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 18:48

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 18:48
Definately go up the bore track from Camerons Corner to Innaminkca, nice easy quiet drive (relatively) with great spots to camp everywhere.

You can check out some virtual tours we shot in the area in July last year.

Outback Virtual Tours

Aaron.
AnswerID: 167622

Sponsored Links