Dtronic Engine Malfunction indicator light problem

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:52
ThreadID: 32979 Views:2566 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks - had a Dtronic unit fitted to an 05 GU Patrol 3.0 recently.

Have encountered a problem when touring where the engine malfunction light appears when the air conditioning is turned on. Car loses all power and has to be idled down, switched off and then re-started, to reset the ??? (ECU?).
I assume this is related to the Dtronic as it didn't do it previously.

Happened initially when touring (ie everything warm) when bleep down with rain, when I turned the air cond on. Pulled over, idled it down, then switched off then on. Seemed to resolve the problem.

Happened again over Easter on the way to Adelaide after turning the air on.

Anyone experienced a similar problem?

On another issue, even with the Dtronic fitted, I still have an off idle flatspot (manual trans). Damn site worse with trailer attached. Anyone else with same?

regards
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:09

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:09
Mike

I would suggest removing the Dtronic to see if the problem persists. The problem after rain makes me think that the dtronic may not be at fault. Could be as simple as a faulty sensor or a corroded connection or be real.

I have a Manual GUIV 3.0 Td. I looked at fitting a Dtronic but my enquiries revealed that in this model the Dtronic had no real effect below about 2500rpm. The remapping of the computer in the manuals affects the Dtronic as far as I can work out from my info. Hence I did not purchase one. The auto in this model are different.

Have you ascertained the fault code?

My thoughts.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 167527

Reply By: Dirty Patrol - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:27

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:27
I have a DX 03 3lt man with a Dtronic and a 21/2 inch exhaust runs very well now, no flat spot off idol anymore, pulls well from 1300rpm with trailer on passing much safer now as well.
no fault codes yet! only had the chip 2 weeks, the exhaust gave more down low and better ecconomy (4wheel drive systems exhaust in S.A) good value product in my opinion.
Cheers
AnswerID: 167548

Follow Up By: Leroy - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:29

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:29
No cat on the 4wd systems exhaust!

Leroy
FollowupID: 422745

Reply By: Dirty Patrol - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:29

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:29
Mine seems to have one could you be wrong/ misstaken
AnswerID: 167637

Follow Up By: Leroy - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:43

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:43
I called 4wd systems and had a chat because I'm thinking about it and asked the question. Maybe the guy didn't know! Maybe it bolts to the back of the existing cat. Hmmm don't know.

Leroy
FollowupID: 422832

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 20:04

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 20:04
From what I have been able to find out from Safari, D-tronic's makers, is that the new Patrol does not need one fitted as Nissan has supposably fixed a lot of the problems associated with earlier models.

I have a Dec 03' series 3 manual Patrol which has a D-tronic fitted to help with the low down problem. It has not worked as well as would have expected to counter the below 1500 delema. The bl**dy thing does not want to pull the skin off sour milk until the turbo comes in. It causes the need to slip the clutch a lot just to get the momentum going which is not doing anything positive for the mechanicals.

I have looked into fitting a 2 1/2 inch exhaust system to improve the air flow but was put off by Safari telling me that it would not help and would only interfere with their D-tronic's setting. What are you supoose to believe!!

I have booked the Patrol into the dealer for the air sensor to be checked out as it is showing signs of not cooperating. You know, high fuel use, low power. It has not always had these problems but from reading this site, it would be on the cards that mine is not cooperating fully.

Oh, to have a auto where putting your foot on the accelerater results in forward movement not engine indecision and hesitation.

I will be interested in other people's experiences and actions to overcome this Manual problem.

Cheers, Patrick

AnswerID: 167651

Reply By: ACDC - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:12

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:12
Neetas,
I would consider fitting a boost gauge to check boost pressure.
Normally flat spots and poor fuel economy and over boosting is the air flow sensor,personally if i owned a 3.0t/d i would be changing it every 40,000km(the sensor that is not the car!)
They only cost about $200 these days!
AnswerID: 167663

Reply By: Dirty Patrol - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 00:03

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 00:03
Patric,
My 03 3lt DX was a little breathless under 1800rpm at first, but after the 2 1/2 inch exhaust it pulled much better from 1200-1300rpm, the Dtronic gave a big boost from 2000rpm to 4500rpm no drop off between gears now and accerates very well at 100kmh in 5th, flys at 110 in 5th when the boot gets put down, Imust watch for the revenuers(speed cams) now, for me both have worked well together.
Cheers
Den
AnswerID: 167706

Reply By: Member - Alan (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:07

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:07
Is the 2005 GU Patrol you have the new facelift model.

I bought the run-out of the one just before the current one - it is having a dtronic put in it today.

In my discussions, I was asked which Patrol I had. I was told by ARB that it is not an issue of the new model not needing one - but that it will not work in current model.

Alan
AnswerID: 167836

Sponsored Links