100 series shuddering rear

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:21
ThreadID: 32984 Views:1660 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2001 100 series TD auto which has travelled 125k. It has recently developed a shudder in the rear when braking, similar in feel to the activation of the ABS however the road surface is bitumen and I am travelling at low speed. It usually occurs during the first ten to fifteen minutes of a journey and seems to have coincided with the onset of winter here in Melbourne!! I have returned to Toyota twice to have ABS checked and sensors cleaned and brake pads checked as well (fronts were replaced but rears were OK).
I'm worried that it might be related to the drivetrain now as I've noticed that when it occurs there is a small spike in revs as it occurs. The shudder lasts a couple of seconds at most. Any thoughts from the combined wisdom I know is out there?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rock Crawler - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 17:37

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 17:37
have you machined your rear disc's ? Also make sure your handbrake is correctly adjusted .

Also remove your discs , and make sure you clean your discs and the surface that they all sit on , include cleaning the inside of the rim were your wheel meets the disc.

if your car is lifted , you may have a issue with the proportioning valve giving to much braking to the rear . Usually this makes the rear pads wear 2 times quicker than usual.
AnswerID: 167605

Reply By: Big Bird - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:43

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:43
Thanks for the suggestion. Toyota service has cleaned everything, ABS included, machined front discs (twice) and replaced pads to front. Still happens infrequently, mainly on first braking in the mornings!!
AnswerID: 168003

Reply By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 22:12

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 22:12
Did you have the rear brakes machined? 100 series 'Cruisers are notorious for warped discs all round.

Get your mechanic or Toyotas to put a Dial Test Indicator (DTI) on the rear brake discs. When I owned a 'Cruiser, the fronts were well warped whilst the rears were only just in spec.

The symptoms were exactly what you've described.

Check the rear discs.

Bilbo

AnswerID: 168193

Sponsored Links