Subaru Forrester

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 17:06
ThreadID: 32998 Views:1504 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Looking at buying a 2nd hand (probably 2004/05) Forrester. Anything I should look for? What experiences have people had with these cars? Reliability? Thanks :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Arkay - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 17:40

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 17:40
We had one (auto) & loved it. The slippage in the torque converter at times acted as a "low range gear" and it went all sorts of places Subaru never intended it to go. Biggest trouble / complaint was that even though it was advertised & specified by Subaru as having 200mm ground clearance, it did not. This was at times a severly limiting factor and we had to straddle centre & side of tracks to keep the plastic protected underside from damage. We had the 2.0 litre and would have liked a bit more power in sand. The later models have a bigger motor.
Eventually we couldn't fit Heathers' hair dryer, her make-up bag, cold weather clothes, hot weather clothes, wet weather clothes, good going out clothes, etc. etc. (you have no idea) in. So we bought a bigger "real" 4WD. Enjoy!
AnswerID: 167608

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:21

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:21
Hi Baldivis boy,
Great vehicle, no real probs with reliability.2.5 Litre is better than the 2 L. Manual has dual range, auto do not
Look for damaged cv boots, dents & bangs underneath (indicates heavy off road use, of course).Not prone to tin worm so any should be fully investigated (may be ex surfers vehicle etc)
Mine had H/Light shields fitted but found they cut night vision a fair bit, Fitted a set of D/lights (1 spot & 1 spread beam) Much better on country roads.
If you are planning on towing with an auto make sure it has the trans oil cooler kit fitted or you could have trouble with high trans oil temps etc.
Only sold mine because I found a real top class Disco.

(Now I sit back and wait for the Anti L/Rover brigade to hijack the thread)

Good luck in your search

Disco.
AnswerID: 167633

Sponsored Links