Travelling with Bubs

Submitted: Friday, Jul 27, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 330 Views:2128 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am having trouble convincing my wife that travelling around oz for 6 months with a two and four year old is possible. We are planning to take a camper trailer or Jayco pop top behind a Landcruiser travelling anti clockwise from Brissie leaving in April.
Does anyone have any direct experience at doing this? Any tips, hints etc gratefully accepted...!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jon Sparrey - Saturday, Jul 28, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 28, 2001 at 00:00
I've been 4 wheel driving for 16 years and when I started my youngest was 18 months old.
He is now seventeen and has a love of Australia. My two eldest blokes are in Europe travelling and all their emails say that there is no country like Australia. We have travelled across the Simpson, Fraser Island, all of Central Australia, Kangaroo Island, Blue Mountains and literally all of Victoria and South Australia. When the teachers at their schools talk about places in Australia, they held their hand up and said....I've been there. They are then very interseted.

Travel Australia. Love it. Enjoy it. It is.....Magic.
AnswerID: 806

Reply By: Michele - Sunday, Jul 29, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 29, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Robert,
We recently travelled for four weeks to NT, Oodnadata track and Flinders Ranges. We have 5,7 & 8year old, a little older than yours but I would think the following Ideas would apply.We camped in a camper trailer for the whole trip travelling pretty well every day. Tips would be don't be in a hurry to leave in the mornings and pull up early in the afternoons (around 3pm) This gives the little ones plenty of time to let off a bit of energy after travelling (more so) and before travelling. Give them little/easy jobs, it makes them feel important. Pack plenty of paper and pencils, water and light snacky food. Have plenty of stops, some days you may not travel very far but at least everyone is still happy. If you get sick of packing up and unpacking trailer or pop top stay in a motel for a night. We spent our last night before getting home in a motel and truelly it was a really nice way to end a very enjoyable holiday. We are planning again for next year. Go for it, your children are young enough to adapt and you don't have to worry about the schooling side of things. We took homework from school and that was the most stressful part, just trying to find the time to fit it in. Hope all this rambling helps.
Michele
AnswerID: 808

Reply By: Michele - Sunday, Jul 29, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 29, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Robert,
We recently travelled for four weeks to NT, Oodnadata track and Flinders Ranges. We have 5,7 & 8year old, a little older than yours but I would think the following Ideas would apply.We camped in a camper trailer for the whole trip travelling pretty well every day. Tips would be don't be in a hurry to leave in the mornings and pull up early in the afternoons (around 3pm) This gives the little ones plenty of time to let off a bit of energy after travelling (more so) and before travelling. Give them little/easy jobs, it makes them feel important. Pack plenty of paper and pencils, water and light snacky food. Have plenty of stops, some days you may not travel very far but at least everyone is still happy. If you get sick of packing up and unpacking trailer or pop top stay in a motel for a night. We spent our last night before getting home in a motel and truelly it was a really nice way to end a very enjoyable holiday. We are planning again for next year. Go for it, your children are young enough to adapt and you don't have to worry about the schooling side of things. We took homework from school and that was the most stressful part, just trying to find the time to fit it in. Hope all this rambling helps.
Michele
AnswerID: 809

Reply By: Gary W - Sunday, Aug 05, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 05, 2001 at 00:00
Robert,

My wife and I plus our 5 year old daughter have just completed the first three weeks of a 14 week trek. We are in Alice Springs having just crossed the
Simpson Desert. My daughter has loved it. She has seen kangaroos, koalas, emus, dingos etc and has witnessed the beauty of the Simpson Desert in full bloom.

We are travelling with a tag along group of 10 vehicles and 19 adults. She is the only child. She does get tired but you have to encourage them to continue by playing
games, providing colouring books etc. Mikaila helps with the tent and the cooking and dishwashing.

My advice is go for it.

Good luck

Gary W, Albury
AnswerID: 851

Follow Up By: Robert - Monday, Aug 06, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 06, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks to those who replied to my question regarding travelling around australia with youngsters. (I think you may have reassured my better half!). Can anyone make a recommendation between a Jayco pop top vs camper tent trailer? We are planning to stay on the blacktop for most of the trip, but want the opportunity to visit Lawn Hill, Borroloola etc, but not necessarily the Gibb River Road, (depending on road conditions at the time.) Expected trip duration is 6 months.
FollowupID: 246

Sponsored Links