Water leaks under windscreen on 75 series

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 19:58
ThreadID: 33008 Views:7469 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,
On my 75 series landcruiser ute, the bottom frame under the windscreen leaks water after washing and after rain.

I got it rust-proofed about a month ago and was wondering if there were blocked drainage holes or a worn out windscreen seal which could be the problem although the windscreen seal looks in good condition.

Water only runs out when i turn a corner and it comes out in the bottom corners of the inside windscreen seal and runs on to my right foot. All up about 1/2 a litre comes out.

It is extremely annoying and i don't know where to look or how to fix this problem so any helpful replies are much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TPM (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:31

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:31
Hi Brian,

My 75 series troopy did the same, only when it was very heavy rain and also hit my right foot. I never rectified the problem. I guessed it may of come from either the snorkel mount on the pillar or windscreen rubber.
I sold it and am still in the dark !

Good luck !
AnswerID: 167673

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:59

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 21:59
My old one did the same thing and it was rust at the top of the windscreen and running down the side to drip on my right foot
AnswerID: 167679

Reply By: Michael B - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:13

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:13
Hi Brian,

My Troopy does the same. Not that it helps you in the slightest, lol

Pretty sure that this has been discussed here some time ago, had a quick search but did not find anything.

From memory, ( and as I get older it is not so reliable, lol ) the 75 series can/does suffer from problems around the windscreen pillars.

Have to take off the panel that sits between the bonnet and windscreen and have a good look at any area that could be suspect, maybe silicone is no good, maybe cracks in pillar.

Have good intentions of doing this..just a matter of when!!

If you get to find it before I do, please let me know..may save me some time and fiddlin'

Regards
Michael B (SA)
AnswerID: 167766

Follow Up By: Michael B - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:35

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:35
Brian,

Search engine is the way to go..........

Have a look at post 4699.

Regards
Michael
FollowupID: 422981

Reply By: tonysmc - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 15:36

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 15:36
Giday Brian, Not sure if this helps, however I had a hj Holden that did the same as what yours is doing. Thats is, water only runs out when I turn a corner and there is alot of water, so it must be being held somewhere. I traced it to blocked drains the vent in front of the windscreen. Also the seal was gone on the fresh air vent that goes from the footwell inside the vehicle to the outside. What was happening was water would of course go straight down this vent and was meant to drain out through tubes at either end. These of course would block up with leaves and gunk and hold water which sloshed from side to side when turning a corner. Unblocked them and no more problem. The vent from the footwell was like a pipe that ran straight up into this vent compartment but finished a few centimeters above the base so any water would flow passed it and down the drain and you only get air, of course with the blocked drain it would fill up until it leaked inside.
So stick a hose down the vent in front of the windsceen and see where the water comes out!
Good Luck
AnswerID: 167814

Sponsored Links