2005 3.0 ltr Patrol rear power point smoking!

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 00:24
ThreadID: 33025 Views:2355 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I just thought I'd share my scary moment with you all! - Whist charging my lantern by the rear power point of my Patrol, I took a drive along the beach at Dongra, WA over Easter following Murray, a fellow Patrol owner...After stopping for a chat on the beach, (My key left in the AUX position) he and I went to look at my compass, which was rather fortunate really, since smoke was wafting out of my drivers side window...I raced around the back and found the charge lead smouldering, so I quickly unplugged it!...The supply is fed via a 15 amp fuse located in the fuse box under the bonnet and switched via a relay on the auxillary circuit, meanwhile the relay fuse is under the dash on the drivers side!....The handbook simply tells you not to exceed 10 amps on the socket and tells you nothing of fuse locations!...I've since changed the supply fuse to 10 amps and intend fitting cigar lighter plugs with internal fuses from now on!
I checked the wiring and all is ok and apart from a burn mark on the storage panel you'd never know! - I guess I was lucky or unlucky, depending on which way you want to look at it!!
Septone vinyl & plastic paint in satin black is an absolute perfect match if you ever have to touch up any of the black plastic.
Cheers
Bopman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 03:51

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 03:51
I have had this thing happen to me as well. If you are not using the standard plug in the back and have upgraded the wiring to accommodate a fridge then this will happen. The thicker wires send allot more current down. Compare the little wires from the charger of the lamp to the ones going from the battery and you will see. I don't use the rear socket for charging I use the front socket. I have a nice mark on my carpet as well :)
AnswerID: 167713

Follow Up By: hl - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:49

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:49
Hi...
So, what was the real reason for the smoke? Something must have drawn a lot of current and the wire feeding it is obviously not up to the task.
To have a 15 Amp fuse for that circuit is quite reasonable and I suspect whatever you plugged in there would still smoke with a 10A fuse.
Cheers
FollowupID: 422929

Follow Up By: Bopman - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:12

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:12
I think the cause of the smoke may have been a faulty cable at the DC end although I must confess, I may have inadvertainly picked up a cable with a - ve centre DC plug (The lead went in the bin, since I was fuming too!)
I've since tried another cable with a positive centre to the lantern and all is ok.
I don't dispute that it would still have smoked with a 10 amp fuse, but I'd rather make it easier for a fuse to blow and have peace of mind rather than a $53,000 Nissan Patrol in flames on the beach!
Unfortunately none of these cheap and nasty 12 volt products have fuses in the cigar lighter plug, hence the only protection in this case is a mighty 15 amp fuse, whereupon a 2 - 3 amp fuse in the cigar lighter plug would certainly have gone o/c and saved the day!
My 12 volt jumper pack DC socket for example isn't even marked whether +ve or -ve centre!
I guess it's all down to cost in the end and the price of a DC plug with a fuse inside might up the cost a little too much!!!!
I'd certainly be prepared to pay a little more for something of good quality, but alas it isn't always out there to buy and at 51 years of age having been a tv, hi-fi, vcr tech all my life, trust me...I know!!!!
Either way, I've learnt a valuable lesson and intend marking all my DC cables and fitting fused cigar lighter plugs.
Cheers
FollowupID: 423149

Follow Up By: hl - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:40

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:40
Hi...
Yes, I agree, a lot of 12V cigarette lighter plugs are not fused these days and the wire leading to whatever appliance is often quite thin. Thin enough to almost glow without blowing a 15A fuse. As for polarity, anything goes there too, I particularly hate it when the make the outside of a concentric plug positive!
You may consider an alternative to a fuse that can be fitted within a cig plug for currents up to about 3 amps. It is a Polyswitch and it will be effective in limiting the current to a very low value should a short occur. They self-reset when the short is removed. Better than having to look for a fuse at the back of Bourke!

Cheers
FollowupID: 423165

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:30

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:30
Please remember that fuses only really protect you from a short circuit. A ten amp fuse does not blow at ten amps, it will take heaps more current without blowing for quite some time. You still have to be very careful what load you apply to a circuit espeacily if it is on a long cable run down to the rear of a vehicle.
AnswerID: 167724

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:39

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:39
haha, nothing like a bit of smoke to make ya jump. Had the same last week when topping up the tyres with the under bonnet compressor I noticed smoke being released from the compressor feed wire, hehe, made me jump too. The damn fuse holder, the sort that hold the glass type fuse was high resistance because of poor contact with the fuse. Changed it to a blade fuse and all well.
AnswerID: 167750

Reply By: Member - Algee (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:46

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:46
I fitted one of these to my Nissan. Go to link and look at the 4x4 Rear plug outlet panel. It fits in that silly little panel on the passenger side in the rear. Great has 2 different size plugs. a couple of swithes and also a volt meter.

http://www.12volt.com.au/General%20Htmls/webcat2003/circuit.html#3wd
AnswerID: 167760

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:46

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:46
looks good, what is the $ RRP?
FollowupID: 422986

Follow Up By: rolande- Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 20:27

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 20:27
These panels are the the best thing since sliced bread - almost. Were about $160 fully assembled, may be more or less by now.

The original plastic clip fits fine for series 2 and later, but is too small for series 1, quick work with a small file and all O.K.

Hope this helps

Rolande
FollowupID: 423134

Follow Up By: Bopman - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:18

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:18
Thanx for that info!.....Where do you buy them?
Cheers
Bopman
FollowupID: 423154

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 22:14

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 22:14
Bopman,

Have a look at ebay Item# 4624111393 ... This particular auction has ended, but it'll give you an idea what you're lookin' at....
I got one from this same seller ( extremelimitsoffroad ) several months ago for less than $110 delivered to my door.. He doesn't have any of these listed currently, but he does list them on a regular basis...
Seller is located in Brisbane (northside) ...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 423181

Reply By: Member - Algee (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:48

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:48
I have had it for about 12 months now. I liked the breakers in it so I didnt really worry aboyt cost. From memory it was $165 delivered.

Alan
AnswerID: 167782

Sponsored Links