Hunting in SA, WA

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:17
ThreadID: 33046 Views:14341 Replies:10 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I will be travelling from Melbourne to Perth in about 6 weeks, on a 2mth trip (avoiding the black top of course) through the usual SA attractions (Flinders, Gammon, Inamminca, Simpson) then through Alice and down the Canning. I am having some dificulty in dertermining if there is any public land in these areas available for hunting. Any advice on hunting in these states & taking a firearm between states? I would enjoy a few rabbit stews on the way;)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:26

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:26
BigMav,

Legally, remember that word, I don't think there are any 'public lands' in this country that you can just waltz on to and start shooting. You need to talk to your Shooter's Assn and check up the State by State regulations (they all differ).

Regards
AnswerID: 167843

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 18:24

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 18:24
You can in State Forests in Victoria.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 423096

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 18:54

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 18:54
Mike,

You and I both know it is'nt that simple. That's why I referred BigMav to his Shooter's Assn. Taking what we 'rednecks' say as gospel is asking for trouble :))))

Regards
FollowupID: 423103

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:06

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:06
I don't understand what you're getting at Al?

In Vic it's legal to "Hunt pest animals on Crown Land" - there are other regs. which require said Crown Land to be gazetted as State Forest but anyone (don't know if that's just Vic firearms licence holders or includes interstate people as well - Uniform Gun Laws anyone?) can wonder into a State Forest and hunt.

Believe you me I know the Vic 1996 firearms act and the later amendments a damn sight better than the vast majority of lawyers :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 423104

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:14

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:14
Mike,

You are undoubtedly more up to date with the info regarding Vic State Forests than I but when I looked at it some time ago, because of pending legislation in NSW, I'm sure there were areas within some Vic State Forests where absolutely no hunting was allowed. I've just checked again and as far as I can see you still cannot hunt in the State Forests immediately (whatever that means) surrounding Rubicon Power Station for one.

It seems that to be on the safe side you should check with our good friends in the Dept of Smoke and Embers before venturing out :))))))

Regards
FollowupID: 423106

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:30

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:30
They could, of course, gazette any areas they choose to exclude hunting but I am not aware of any - could you send me (or post here) the link you mention above please Al.

Mike Harding

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
FollowupID: 423113

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:14

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:14
Mike,

It appears that EO cannot find the first doc on the Net although I can Google it up anytime. Have sent you an email with the details although I think the doc may have now been superseded by the other docs I've mentioned in the email.

Regards
FollowupID: 423229

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:26

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:26
Mike,

Is there a problem with that email address. Email was returned undelivered ?????

Regards
FollowupID: 423291

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 16:24

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 16:24
Hi Al

Nope. Your e-mail arrived about 8.10am this morning and I replied about one hour ago (say 3.30pm Thur Melb time). e-mail does seem to have been a bit funny recently - personally I suspect aliens are intercepting my e-mail after they abducted me last week – they’re like that in April.

Mike Harding :)
FollowupID: 423337

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 16:45

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 16:45
Mike,

Got your reply OK. Strange with the email but as long as it got through.

All that stuffing around with gazetting areas within areas etc etc makes life difficult eh.

Regards
FollowupID: 423342

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:40

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:40
BigMav

It is a minefield of legal rules and regs.

There is no public land to hunt on in SA. You may hunt on farms or stations with the owners permission or in designated National Parks if you are part of a feral animal eradication group.

Professional shooters wanting to come hunt in SA have to sit an exam EVEN if they are licensed in another state, before they can hunt.

I think that if you you have permission to hunt on a property then you must register your rifle at the nearest Police Station, once in SA.

I had to sit a TAFE exam when chasnging over to a SA licence some years ago, It took 10 months of stuffing around at about $400 for a 5 year licence. All I have managed to shoot in the ensuing time is a stray cat.

If you are not interested in the rules and regulations then I suppose you can take a chance whilst driving along. Rabbits are few and far between these days after the release of the Callisi(spelling) Virus some years ago.

Hope this helps

Cheers
AnswerID: 167847

Reply By: DesC - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:46

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:46
if you go up near Darwin there are 2 lots of crown land you can hunt on. Ask the NT Lands Department and you can get a permit. I think there is also a reserve near tennant ck.
AnswerID: 167849

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:47

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:47
SA
most National parks ie Flinders, Gammons etc etc are non hunting parks!

all privately owned or lease-hold land could be available with landowners Written approval, and :
You will need a hunting licence - available from Australia Post in SA...this has nothing to do with the "purpose of use" endorsed on stated on your firearms licence..its additional.
bring with you your firearms rego papers.
check with SA POLICE firearms branch 08 2042495 for more info

AnswerID: 167850

Reply By: Barnesy - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 18:26

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 18:26
Waraweena private conservation park south of Arkaroola allows hunting. Again you need a valid hunting license, relatively powerful rifle and to organise it with the manager beforehand so he can close the area off. $50 a day can get you feral goats galore, foxes or any other ferals you see.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 167866

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 18:30

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 18:30
All this crap to make life difficult for legitimate firearms owners - why?

Anyone want to bet $500 I could buy an illegal Glock and a few hundred rounds within one week, if I choose? No “Genuine Reason”, “Permit to Purchase” or safe storage needed for that!

iirc they found seven handguns in the suspended ceiling of the St Kilda Police Station a few years ago when it was being refurbished - I wonder how they got there?

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 167869

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:35

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:35
No I don’t like loosing bets Mike,

I have been asked if I wanted to buy a 9mm handgun before, I said no I don’t have a licence for one; That’s Ok it not licensed anyway was the response. Ok then, I will just wipe my finger print's of that thankyou very much.
FollowupID: 423116

Reply By: Exploder - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:28

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 19:28
WA Is a Big NO for Public land, national parks ECT, only on stations and farms with the permission of the owner offcourse if you know them and sometimes if you don’t if you ask very nicely, there are no pay to shoot venues or anything like that.

There is some Crown land up north that the Local ranger’s/ cops will turn a blind eye, so to speak as long as they don’t hear or see you. They know it’s going on but they don’t come looking for you, if you are caught you will have you arse in a sling, But you need to know the right people to know the locations and I aren’t going to go blurting it out on a public forum.
AnswerID: 167877

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 20:18

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 20:18
Plenty of crown land In Wa with no chance of running foul of anyone in WA. The biggest problem is there is BA to shoot on crown land. Yep thats right it must have been darn hard for the original inhabitants hunting roos coz on VCL you get an idea of what things were like before pasoralists came in and provided water. there are no where near as many roos and goats are rare away from the station country
FollowupID: 423127

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:20

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:20
Plenty of crown land In WA with no chance of running foul of anyone in WA, exactly why I can’t understand the strict usage laws we have.

BA to shoot on crown land.
Depends where the land is, if it backs onto a station and some do you get Goats Pig’s and what not running all throe it at the right loacations, All depends on where it is.
FollowupID: 423192

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:48

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:48
Its a bit of a pet Peeve of mine. When I cruise VCL such as the yowie rocks track there isnt much to be seen in the way of roos and no goats etc (no galahs or crows either) But cruising station country - Fair dinkum they are often overrun with goats and roos, Donkeys whatever with no shooting sighns everywhere. Yea but they round the goats up? well then why dont they damn well do it. Alot of places seem more intent on breeding up feral animals (I consider Roos bred up to the extent they are on stations to be feral) which totally stuff their rangelands. Its even more annoying when the station is de stocked as many are. I reckon some of those guys need to take more responsability for the control of ferals instead of a blanket no shooting ban and watching their land degrade
FollowupID: 423201

Follow Up By: Exploder - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 19:23

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 19:23
Yes I know of one such station that I am semi-friendly with the owners, they have been talking about de-goating it for a few years now, the big Ariel muster is meant to happen this year, it was also meant to happen last year too LOL, Wouldn’t surprise me if I dropped in next year sometime and it still hadn’t happened.

After the muster happens the land will be left to regenerate as it is just that stuffed now from goats that it is bordering on unserviceable, the thing is you will never get all the goats out you will always have pockets of the mongrels that get missed.

The thing is when they spread from a poorly maintained station onto a full working one, we have friends with a 1 million acre sheep station near Meekatharra and they have big problems with wild donkeys, I have driven up that way a couple of times but never had the time to drop in and check the place out.

“Alot of places seem more intent on breeding up feral goats” Yep as, it’s cheep and easy, do the odd muster and make some money for bugger all outlay. The baby goats are nice to eat thou.
FollowupID: 423397

Reply By: Joe King - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 20:24

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 20:24
BigMav,
I'm going to go out on a limb here & probably end up getting a well deserved grilling BUT.......
I read this somewhere!
If you have a very accurate small rimfire, say a .22 or .17 & use low velocity ammo, keeping your shots to 25-30m & a whole lot of common sense in the middle of no where, where there is no danger of anybody getting hurt (See common sense), just roll a Bunny in the road reserve for your stew every now & then when its safe to do so.
AnswerID: 167892

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:27

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:27
If you shoot a bunny in the middle of nowhere with noone else to hear it, did you really do it LOLOL
FollowupID: 423292

Follow Up By: Joe King - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:40

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:40
LMFAO........
FollowupID: 423297

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:56

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:56
Quite a few years ago we entered WA with a couple of firearms & was asked at the Quatentine station (of all places) if we had any. We had to go directly to the Police station (who they had already rung) where it looked like the guns would be confiscated until we were ready to leave the state. Luckily one member of our convoy was a Vic Police officer who after 1 hour convinced the local cops to give us a permit to transport the weapons. At no point could they be used in WA.
Unbeknown to us WA had the most strict gun laws in the country at the time so unless you arrange somewhere to shoot with the appropiate permits I'd suggest taking rabbit stew off the menu :-)
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 167933

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 00:10

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 00:10
Big Mav,
My advise to you is to make sure your firearm is licensed (carry license with you) use your common sense and the least said the better.You will find that the rabbits are not as readily available as you might think but goats and pigs are an option if you are in the right area.I am fortunate to have properties to shoot on but in my many travels around the top of Aus. quit a few unlucky pigs have ended up in the pot.Remember too much knowledge sometimes is not a good thing.
AnswerID: 167968

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:49

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:49
Rabbits seem to making a strong comeback and i usually see quite a few on Nightshift now. Callici must have come close to wiping them out but they seem to be getting over it pretty quickly really seeing as it has barely been 10 years since its release
FollowupID: 423281

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:25

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:25
Still quite a few here on the outskirts of Sydney. Does'nt look like they had much of a problem coping with it.

Regards
FollowupID: 423290

Follow Up By: Turbo - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 23:07

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 23:07
Hi guys here on the yorke peninsula in sa. they are just starting to pop there heads up again.its been along time& i dont mind a bit of underground mutton...dave
FollowupID: 423498

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:41

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:41
Aaah, garlic bunny. Yum yum yum :))))
FollowupID: 423520

Sponsored Links