New type of oil.

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 22:15
ThreadID: 33063 Views:1937 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
There is an interesting article on the ABC website under the technology heading about a new type of oil that reduces the amount of oil you need in your engine. It apparently reduces friction when two metal parts come together.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RobEG - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 22:22

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 22:22
Quite possible. I remember some 40 years ago the Bardahl crowd claimed to have run their product through a Volkswagen I think it was and then emptied the sump and drove it from Darwin to Alice Springs as an advertising gimmick. Don't hang me for the details, it was a long time ago.
AnswerID: 167944

Follow Up By: Member - John R (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:34

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:34
Rob, I seem to remember Nulon doing a similar thing in the 80's.

I can feel the skeptic in me coming out again.......
FollowupID: 423226

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:09

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:09
I remember these items... I'll bet they could do it even better with a fitchy thing fitted....sorry could not resist.
FollowupID: 423262

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:24

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:24
I heard that if you put two fitches and two hiclones in, the petrol station pays you to fill up :))))))))
FollowupID: 423264

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 20:58

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 20:58
NRMA did a Sydney to Melbourne trip in the early 80's with nulon. Oil change with nulon added in Sydney, drove to Albury then drained the sump and continued to Melbourne. Supposedly there was no appreciable (?) engine wear.

Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 423429

Reply By: Philip A - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 15:29

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 15:29
I actually met the Nulon test car that went from Singapore to KL in about 1984.
It was a Commodore with blue motor. They had to put in solid lifters but was otherwise standard.
They were caught in a traffic jam on the causeway, and a rad hose blew off because the engine was running hot!!
Anyway they made it to KL with no oil in the sump which if I recall is about 250Km.
The old motor sounded pretty second hand by then but it was still going.
I was pretty impressed.
However I now use Mobil one which is reputed to protect for a bit longer if the oil escapes, so I no longer use Nulon. I never noticed any economy benefit with it but after seeing feeling and hearing the demo, I had to acceopt that it did protect the engine if you lost the oil.
I have no connection with Nulon, but after I helpd them enter the Malaysian market , they did give me a box when I came back to OZ!
Regard s Philip A
AnswerID: 168079

Follow Up By: David from Engine Saver Low Water Alarms - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 16:07

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 16:07
Call me a sceptic if you must but I will bet it was running hot.
There is no substitute for high quality lubricant in large quantities.

I quote from the ryans radiators web-site : www.ryansradiators.com/oil.htm

Engine Oil Cooling

Almost one third of the heat generated by the engine must be removed by the vehicle's two cooling systems. That's correct your engine has two cooling systems. (1) The top of the engine: the area around each cylinder in the engine block, the combustion chamber areas in the cylinder heads and the intake manifold, dispel heat through the engine's radiator coolant system. (2) The rest of the engine: the crankshaft, bearings, camshaft, lifters, connecting rods and pistons are only cooled by engine oil.

The ideal operating range for engine oil is 82°C through 93°C. While operating within this range, the oil works as a lubricant, coolant, and cleansing agent in the engine. Modern engines generally run with radiator coolant temperatures between 90°C and 105°C with oil temperature ranges up to 25°C HOTTER. In other words, when the engine is performing flawlessly, the engine oil is already overheating! Oil that exceeds 105°C rapidly loses its ability to lubricate and cool causing accelerated fatigue and premature component failure.

Sometimes it seems technology is going around in a learning circle!

FollowupID: 423329

Sponsored Links