Fuel Gauges for Long Range Fuel Tanks

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 22:15
ThreadID: 33064 Views:2381 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Recently we had a 180 litre fuel tank fitted to our Tojo LC100 TD in place of the 50 litre sub tank.
Originally, the fuel gauge stayed put on full for the first 500km. We then run out of fuel with the gauge sitting above zero at 1150km (city driving), and the low fuel warning light not coming on.
Its since been back to our supplier for modifications. When re-filling the tank, the low fuel warning light did not go out until between 80 & 100 litres went in.
The gauge then rose progressively and indicated full according to the tank being full. It seems they have reversed the original condition.

Has anyone had experience with this problem, and what is the fix. No one I have asked , from the manufacturer of the tank, our supplier or even Tojo himself can offer suggestions.

Help! When I ran out of fuel, fortunately I was travelling in suburbia at less than 50kph. To lose power steering and brakes with the 3.25 tonne Bushtracker on the back at 100kph would be frightening.

Hope someone has some ideas

Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:38

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:38
Mate - all I can say is that mine works perfectly - same mod, same car (but petrol).

I know when they refit the sender unit (they keep the original, not supply a new one), there is a rod which needs to be shortened to a specific length - be a whole tank out job to do if it wasn't done in the first place. It's all in the instruction sheet (I read it at the time)

Pretty standard mod - surprised there are problems with it...
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 167961

Sponsored Links