Front Swivel hubs

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 22:49
ThreadID: 33065 Views:1482 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all just got back from being away and noticed my brakes not real good. Took off front drivers side wheel and noticed graphite grease in the fins of the front disc rotor, seems to be excesive moisture on the back of swivel hub also like the diff oil is leaking into hubs and when I drained the diff oil out looks very grey looking as if graphite grease is also mixing back into the diff oil. I had the front swivel hubs done just prior to chrismas for the exact same reason minus the grese on the disc rotor, plus new wheel bearings. Is there someting that could be warped or the mechanic damaged a seal renewing it. Both side were done together and passengers side is fine. Any help appreciated. Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:57

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:57
When Mine got done he fitted speedi sleeves and I also needed the brake pads changed coz the oil had stuffed them
AnswerID: 167966

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 00:07

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 00:07
Could have been a damaged seal, or a blocked diff breather? Pressure finding its way out of the weakest point?
AnswerID: 167967

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:59

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:59
Hi there Truckster, I just put new breathers on 3 weeks ago front goes up into the engine bay and mounted near brake booster the rear goes up behind drivers side tail light so they should be ok but will double check that they are clear thanks for that. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 423283

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:47

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:47
Very common problem. The axle oil seal is not perfect, and the axle may not be running in the middle, so gear oil gets into the swivel hubs and moly grease gets into the oil. Everything remains lubricated - its just a nuisance.

You need the front end serviced - pretty expensive to do it properly because theres a lot of labour and a few $$ of seals of you do the lot.

The cheaper bandaid option is to DIY and replace the inner axle oil seals (cheap item), repack the swivel hubs and CVs, and regrease the wheel bearings while you're there. You'll come out looking dirty and black, and you'll need a beer by the end of the day. This link on the LCOOL site may help.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 168049

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:03

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:03
Hi there Phil, I had all the front end done prior to christmas.Had all the hubs pulled apart, new wheel bearings full kit put write through, all new seals etc. Am hoping just a faulty seal on the axle or one of the paper ones has been damaged upon installation.Will have to replace disc pads as the oil has stuffed them, found it hard to pull up. Will pull apart on saturday and have a good look. Thanks for the help. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 423284

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:58

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:58
Naybe the swivel hub was overpacked with grease.
FollowupID: 423302

Sponsored Links