Castor on 100 series cruiser

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 23:25
ThreadID: 33067 Views:2087 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to give up at the min , I have had the cruiser to 2 wheel alignment places with different results.

I was told by the first alignment place , that my Castor is now 0 and i should be running a negative toe in . As I left car was pulling to the left .

I then took it to another alignment place and was told I have a - 2 deg Castor and the toe-in should be set positive 2 deg . This is causing tyres to scrub

Now from my days as a mechanic , I remember that rear wheel drive cars should have negative toe-in and front wheel drive cars a positive toe-in

Now my cruiser has had a 100 mm lift in the front and 115 in the rear , so I should be out by roughly 3 deg .

This is the crazy part . When looking at the spec's on both machines , they didn't specifically have my vehicle on it . The had vehicle classification up to 98 as a 80 series and after that there was a 2000 TD or 4.7 V8 . Now there IFS , so there readings are irrelevant.

Could anyone here shed some light, I will try BJ on Friday and see what there machine say's . The reason for all this before Castor bushes , is to see how far out my alignment is , as to purchase the correct Castor correction kit.

Regards RC AKA TUF100
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Loco Locums - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:49

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:49
"The had vehicle classification up to 98 as a 80 series and after that there was a 2000 TD or 4.7 V8 . Now there IFS , so there readings are irrelevant.
"
The 4.7 V8 came out in the GXL in '03, so the data you refer to for the 2000 4.7V8 would be for the GXV model and I had a feeling that the GXV was IFS.

So that data might be of use to you after all.

A 100mm ("4") lift in the front is a big lift....I just had the front of our 100 series lifted 40mm by winding up the original torsion bars and this had no effect on the steering at all thankfully.

With your 4" lift, what is the angle of the front drive shaft like where it goes into the CV joint ?? And do you think it will bring about a shorter CV joint life.

Not that I'm a stick in the mud..hopefully...but isn't the maximum LEGAL lift on suspension 50mm??

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 168018

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 17:49

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 17:49
I think you have mis read my post , I dont have IFS . This is why 4.7 V8 and TD is usless information . I run a rigid axle.

If you think my 100 mm lift is over the top , then I guess you wont be impressed that it runs 35" tyres lol
FollowupID: 423365

Follow Up By: Member - Loco Locums - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 18:50

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 18:50
Oh Yeah...what a Drongo I was.....I didn't notice any model designation for you vehicle in your post and assumed the wrong thing...sorry pal...

Yeah I don't care how much you lift your suspension or if it's legal or not...really when you look at it...how many drivers exceed the speed limit every day and that's illegal too...live and let live....

A mate, years ago lifted a Toyota tray back and made it into a big foot and shoved a Ford 351 V8 in it and ran it as his workshop ute. The 351 killed a few transfer cases though....

Cheers
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 423386

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 20:08

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 20:08
Although , I love lifted cars etc , I do want them to drive right , if it cant drive straight or stop right , it shouldn't be on the road. lol

I have however had some joy today, I went to BJ and had another alighment and we were able to find the factory specs.

It seams they set my toe to toe out instead of toe in of max 2 ml and my castor is siting at -2 were it should be + 1.4 with a tolorance of .4 , so i have had a win today .

So im orgabizing some 3deg castor correction bushes to sort it out. Even with the correct toe adjustments the vehicle is 100% better , so with the castor kit , it should be awsom .
FollowupID: 423417

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:21

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:21
Gday
This is what i know....the 100 rfs, when lifted 50mm, gets very close to 0 caster, so...yours will be around -2...and you need to get back to +1
There are a couple of ways to do this, the bushes i would put as a last option, because they are stiffer than the replaces rubber, and wont allow articulation as much as std....so you fix the driveability on road and stuff up what you were lifting it for in the first pace. Not only that, but diff housing brackets have been known to crack when forced to articulate with noelathane bushes up front.
Second novel idea is to slot the front hole...14mm or one bolt thickness is 2 degrees....put washers on the front bolts, and weld washers to diff housing brackets once an alignment has been done and a good setting has been made.
Caster plates... i run these at roughly thesame lift but on an 80 series. Off the shelf.
Now, the good bit....email Ernie with lift height and model of cruiser...he is an alignment guru in Sydney and knows his cruisers :) He will tell you what it should be set at, and if you are in the northern suburbs, will do it for you.
ernie60 at optusnet dot com dot au
AnswerID: 168438

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:58

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:58
Thanks Andrew
FollowupID: 423756

Sponsored Links