80 Series upgrade to Turbo

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:01
ThreadID: 33074 Views:1940 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I have an 80 series non turbo diesel and am going to upgrade to a turbo to fix the power problem, does anyone know of any good workshops in victoria that do a good job at a resonable price?

also has anyone done this? if so what did you pay and how much of the internals had to be change?

did you have the compression changed?

excuse my ignorance i dont know much about diesels

thanks

Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe King - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:40

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:40
Joe, check this out...
Site Link
(I dunno how to do a link... cut & paste..)
JK
AnswerID: 168017

Follow Up By: Joe King - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 14:05

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 14:05
hey, what happened, does it do it automatic??????
FollowupID: 423303

Reply By: jbwetzels - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:03

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:03
Thanks JK

So from the looks of it the stock computer can supply enough fuel to run about 9-10psi.

can anyone confirm this?

Also how far will the injectors go before they need to be upgraded?

Also the pistons, rings and valves, can they handle 9-10psi??

This engine that will be having the turbo added to is a little warn 280k odd and is pumping out alot of smoke?

should the turbo be added still?

Also do the heat lamps need to be updated at anystage?

sorry for all the questions
AnswerID: 168021

Reply By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:04

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:04
Hello Joe,
I got my 80 Series (with 154,000 km on the clock) done in March 2005. It was done by AXT Turbo's in Cheltenham Rd Dandenong. If you need to know their contact details then let me know. I was happy with the job they did and they were very close to the price quoted by ARB Southern, also in Dandenong. I chose AXT because they took the time to sit down and explain the whole process in detail to a dim wit like me to a greater extent than anyone else I spoke to. I'm sure ARB and many other would do as good a job, I just happened to like the people at AXT.
It is a Garrett Turbo and the cost was $3400 all up including labour. Add $230 for a Turbo timer.

I did not need to get the compression changed. I got that line of thinking from one company in Pakenham but everyone else I spoke to at the time said it was not necessary.

I can't say I had power problems in the pre turbo days it was just the normal diesel slow down on hills and so on. The effect of the turbo on the truck is significant but don't expect too much difference down below about 1500rpm. After that it has heaps more power. I don't know what effect putting a bigger diameter exhaust system would have but I've heard so many different stories that I've decided not to bother as yet. The fuel consumption is slightly increased (From 12 Litres/100km to 13 litres/100km).

I hope this helps. Just ask any questions you like and I'll get back to you.

Tom
AnswerID: 168032

Follow Up By: Member - Bill S (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:44

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:44
HI JOE, My 80 srs had 300,000 when I fitted a turbo kit from turbo glide,was the best move I have ever made,turned it into a pleasure to drive.I did change the exhaust system however to a bigger system,but that was all,power increase was about 30%
no more lugging on hills and a more economical vehicle to run.So I can only suggest that you go ahead and have it fitted,good luck.

Regards BILLS
FollowupID: 423278

Follow Up By: cruiser - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 14:05

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 14:05
Like Bill S, I also had mine done by Turboglide in Woolongong and have has similar results, with the exception being I got a 50% increase in power and about 45% in torque, and my fuel consumption improved from 13.5L/100 to about 12.5L/100

The exhaust was changed from standard to 3" mandral bent exhaust and at the time of fitting, I had done 166,000K.

Have done about 50,000K since and it was the best money I have spent on the car.

Can now go up and over hills in 5th gear where as before I was down to 3rd gear on same hills. As a matter of fact, I topped Bulli Pass (steep road heading towards Sydney out of Wollongong) in 5th gear after having it fitted, where as previously it was a 3rd gear haul.
FollowupID: 423304

Follow Up By: Joe King - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 14:10

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 14:10
Tom, Bill & Cruiser, did you have to do anything to the gearbox & if not did or have you had any trouble with it...
I have been told (I want to do this to my 75 ute, I have a factory 80TD) that unless you change the input shaft & clutchplate to a 12" you will have Gearbox troubles.
have any of you had any trouble?
thanks JK
FollowupID: 423306

Follow Up By: cruiser - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 14:14

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 14:14
No problems whatsoever.

Its all been good.
FollowupID: 423307

Follow Up By: Member - Bill S (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 14:43

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 14:43
HI Joe,Drove mine for 200,000 since fitting turbo never had a clutch change or any gearbox problem,in fact after driving 500,000 this vehicle never had any problems, but was sericed regularly every 10,000klms.
In its life it had new water pump,starter overhaul,alternator overhaul.and new front disc rotars and of course padsx4 rear shoes once,a very reliable vehicle.

Regards BILLS
FollowupID: 423309

Follow Up By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 19:05

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 19:05
I'm getting sick of this. It's the second time I've sent a Follow-up but forgotton to actually submit it.

Joe,
I've had zero problems with the gearbox or anything else for that matter, since fitting the turbo.

Tom.

Now I'll just push submit
FollowupID: 423389

Follow Up By: Joe King - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 20:39

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 20:39
Thanks fellas, I'll go ahead with it....
JK
FollowupID: 423422

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 07:30

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 07:30
Our 4.2 GQ got a Turbo Glide system in January..... best money spent on the truck to date!

Did injectors at the same time, stuck with the exhaust system supplied with the kit and it's all VERY good!!! With the trailer on (add 1000kgs plus) and the fridge and clothes etc in the back and the family in the cabin, we can now cruise down the highway as opposed to struggling down the highway!

The gearbox comments raised my eyebrows, we haven't had any drama so far, and am not expecting any..... to my thinking, if you "stomp" on the throttle and "drop" the clutch just 'coz you're now turbo'd, THEN you'll have gearbox/clutch drama's. Drive it sweet and it'll stay sweet.
That's my theory anyway, can anyone verify that for me?

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 423531

Reply By: jbwetzels - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 18:02

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 18:02
Thanks for all the input guys

i am just curious what turboglide and the other companies actually changed in regards to the internals of the engine, because, the car is smoking a fair bit at the moment, althought the extractors and exhaust may have a bit to do with it, but there is a fair amount of smoke.

i dont suppose anyone out there has a receipt or quote or anything they could e-mail just so i know what has been done??

also what psi is everyone running?

Cheers

Joe
AnswerID: 168124

Reply By: jt - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 22:57

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 22:57
joe
I would only fit an AXT turbo kit as they are very good quality the people who are going to fit the kit should give your 4x4 a compression test first to see if the motor has good enough compression.If it hasn't you will need to rebuild the motor then fit the turbo.
AnswerID: 168205

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:48

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:48
Turbo a 1HZ diesel

A number of turbocharger kits are available for the 1HZ. With an emphasis on reliability and engine longevity and driveability, the fitting of a Turbo kit gives a healthy 30% - 40% power and torque increase.

It is important however to be somewhat conservative with this motor when it comes to extracting lots of power. While the bottom end is very robust there are structural issues in the head (especially around the pre-combustion chambers) that dictate how much power can be extracted reliably. Whilst there is no doubt a good degree of over design is incorporated in the 1HZ, adding a turbocharger will stress the motor further and bring the performance envelope that bit closer to the limit so a maximum boost of about 9 PSI is recommended.

Things like the condition of the injectors and injector pump adjustment can have a significant effect on longevity. Hence the importance of a well engineered unit that is installed by professionals who are experienced in this field.

There are many examples of turbocharged 1HZ's with over 250,000km on them and running strong. There are also a small number of people in our group with bad experiences through mainly trying to over fuel, over boost and/or lack of injector/pump maintenance. The feeling amoungst most in the group is that a boost compensator is a worth while addition to avoid overfueling at low rpm/low boost. A boost compensator allows the pump to be adjusted leaner for low boost conditions and increases the injected volume under high boost. This results in better economy and drastically reduces the amount of exhaust smoke.

AnswerID: 168259

Follow Up By: jbwetzels - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 10:34

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 10:34
Thanks cruiser, that was exactly what i was after.

also thanks toy everyone else that answered my questions

Joe
FollowupID: 423564

Sponsored Links