vehicle set-up

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:14
ThreadID: 33082 Views:1927 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, We're preparing for a trip through the center with a caravan. We're on the Sunshine Coast, and trying to buy a Sat/Cdma phone, but don't know where to start. We want one that automatically changes between satellite & CDMA, probably Iridium (hoping it will be reliable) and maybe even something we can get onto the internet with - e.g. trip reports, pics, send/receive emails (is that possible ?) - can anyone advise us as to where to start looking? Also, we'd like to put a reversing camera on the back of the van, had one before, but it wasn't successful, and too bulky. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys.
Noels.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:42

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:42
For the sat phone you need to look at Globalstar - www.globalstar.com.au - but for internet access you might be best to check out the new 3G phones that Telstra is bringing in. They will have fast internet access where there is a service at a reasonale cost. Satelliute access is too expensive at the moment.

I have a Globalstar phone that is either sat or GSM. Also have a CDMA phone in the car.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 168047

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 17:10

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 17:10
The new 3GSM network that will replace CDMA won't be available in the next year.

Mike
FollowupID: 423351

Reply By: kesh - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:31

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:31
Noels. With all these devices you only ever get what you pay for.
If you want "bullet proof,100% reliability, all the bells and whistles" the Optus/Westinghouse option provides it. But it comes at a cost.
Check out Kedron Communications in Bris. They could be of help.
Happy travels. kesh
AnswerID: 168057

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:46

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 13:46
Have a talk to telstra, they have a combined Satphone/CDMA that automatically switches between the two services, the default is CDMA. You get reasonable speeds on the cdma, but I wouldn't want to be paying for the time, or the downloads if you want to browse the internet. Good for email as long as you don't want to send big piccies.

Have a talk to them about the wireless network with CDMA fallback. A PCMCIA Card is plugged into the notebook.
AnswerID: 168059

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 15:07

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 15:07
Sound in motion on the sunshine coast do reversing cameras.

Heard good things about them but have never dealt personally with them.

www.soundinmotion.com.au/
AnswerID: 168070

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 16:01

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 16:01
The guys at Olbis are well stocked and quite helpful.

I bought my new GPS from them and am very happy.

OLBIS
AnswerID: 168092

Reply By: hopscotch - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 18:41

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 18:41
Hi Noels,

Sound in Motion at Noosa, Kawana or Nambour do the reversing cameras and while I don't have one I saw one installed in a Toyo LC just last week Hardly noticeable and quite a good picture. This one had a camera on the back of the van and another in the rear window of the LC looking down onto the hitch.
Sound in motion have done a counple of radio installs for me and they do a pretty fair job. Reasonable pricing from where I sit.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 168131

Reply By: Kim from Globalstar - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 16:37

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 16:37
Hi Noel,

I am the marketing co-ordinator for Globalstar, and look after the advertising that we do with the ExlorOz. I have seen that you have posted a question in regards to where you would be able to start looking into purchasing a dual mode CDMA/Sat phone. We are the only provider of the dual mode cellular and satellite service and I would be more than happy to provide you with any information you need and also point you in the right direction. We have authorised dealers nationwide and I am sure that we have one that is convienient to you on the sunshine coast.

Please dont hesitate to contact me at marketing@globalstar.com.au if there is anything I can do for you.

Kind Regards
Kim
AnswerID: 169512

Sponsored Links