Fridgemate info

Submitted: Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 18:58
ThreadID: 3310 Views:9120 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have a fridgemate MF30B. Does anyone have a user manual for it or know of a web site where I can get one? The bottom row of lights work ok, but the top row that show the temperature inside the fridge are flashing. The compressor may be out of gas. Any suggestions - apart from throwing it to the tip?
I would really like to save it if I could.
Regards,
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CHRIS - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 06:50

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 06:50
THERE WAS A BLOKE IN NERANG, QLD THAT WAS FIXING THESE FRIDGES BUT FROM PAST EXPERIENCE WITH THEM AND KNOWING THE FINAL PROBLEMS BEFORE THE COMPANY WENT BELLY UP, I WOULD USE IT FOR A ESKY. THE COMPRESSORS HAD PROBLEMS AND WERE FAR TOO SMALL FOR THE JOB. AT ONE STAGE YOU COULD BUY THESE FRIDGES BRAND NEW FROM HIM FOR $ 250 WITH NO WARRANTY OR HE WOULD MODIFY THE FAULTS FOR ANOTHER $150. I KNOW A BLOKE THAT WAS BUYING THEM AND MAKING A NICE PROFIT RESELLING THEM, KEPT ONE FOR HIS SELF AND IT BROKE DOWN ON THE FIRST TRIP. COMPRESSOR BLEW UP. I GOT CAUGHT TOO.
AnswerID: 12861

Follow Up By: Mark - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 07:51

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 07:51
Thanks Chris,
Any idea how I can contact this guy in Nerang? An email address would be perfect. I wonder if it is possible to retro fit a different compressor? The electronics still seem to be fine.
Thanks,
Mark
FollowupID: 7496

Reply By: David - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 11:13

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 11:13
I bought one new- probably got about 40 hours use out of it (over a year or so) B4 it died.
Spoke to the guy in Nerang some time ago- he laughed at me and suggested I write it off....
Sorry, but you bought a DUD- hope you paid less than I did.
Save up for an EVAKOOL- they are brilliant.
Cheers
AnswerID: 12873

Reply By: Member - Mal - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:34

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:34
Mark,
I too was caught! I made up a lid from aluminium and polystyrene foam. Have a sheet of aluminium bent up 50mm all round and weld corners.Pop-rivet or weld lugs on the ends for the catches. Fill with a 50mm sheet of foam. Run some door seal ( sticky on one side) around the edge and you have a great little esky for about $25. The insulation is great.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 12878

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 13:41

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 13:41
Mark,

There seems to be a heap of stories about these FridgeMates, and few of them are good. I have one as well, and I have had it for about five years now, and it has (almost) always worked just fine for me.

Noisier than an Engel etc, nothing like as good a compressor and the lid is a pain to lug around.

However, it works for me.

The one problem I have had was just at Christmas when it wouldnt cool properly due to it losing 70% of its gas. I took it to Cory (the guy in Nerang) who rebuilt the whole compressor for $195 (I didn't want to take any chances) and it now works well.

I will dig out his contact number and you can give him a call. Be warned though, he likes to explain everything in some detail so you may be on the phone for a while!
AnswerID: 12889

Follow Up By: Mark - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 15:35

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 15:35
Thanks Joe, it is always good to hear a positive!
When you lost the gas in the compressor, did the lights flash along the top row? I am just wondering if this is some sort warning that the fridge has lost gas pressure?
The compressor does not run and I am wondering if it is just that the fridge has lost gas or whether the compressor has had the biscuit.
I know as soon as I take it to a refrigeration mechanic, it will cost an arm and a leg just to figure out if it is worth fixing.
Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Mark
FollowupID: 7526

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 21:20

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 21:20
Mark,

You can contact Cory on 07 5530 5800 or 07 5527 2787

The address is:

Unit 7
73 Lawrence Drive
Nerang

I don't know what the flashing lights on the top means - probably that you have a short or a dry solder joint on the controller and nothing to do with the compressor at all.

I would view this as good news.

Call Cory as he is the expert. If you are in the area you should drop the fridge in to him. He charges $20 to do the initial diagnosis which isn't too bad.

Don't expect wonders though - these fridges are underpowered for the tropics and like anything, if they don't get their rest cycles then they can become unreliable.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 12923

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 14:03

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2003 at 14:03
Reading the various comments on the fridgemate, there's a bit of interesting history here, it may need confirmation but I'm pretty sure I'm right. The guy that owned "Fridgemate" and after it went belly up started selling the "Super Kool" fridges which eventually went South, well he's now one of the principle owners of "WAECO" Australia. I'm not sure what this all means but history has an uncanny way of repeating itself and the quality of his previous products leaves a lot to be desired.
AnswerID: 12968

Sponsored Links