GME TX650 UHF CB TRANSCIEVERS ?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 19:58
ThreadID: 33100 Views:3799 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
anny body used the new gme tx650 hand helds ,looking at purchasing for car to car com ,would like to hear from some one who has used them,what sort of range ?"
thanks tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 18:17

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 18:17
Sorry I don't have a TX650, but I did purchase a single hand held TX610 at the last C & C show. It was an impulse buy because it was on special at $89 and included a 240V as well as a 12V charger. It is a 1 Watt transmitter with all the normal channels and includes Duplex and a thing called "Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System" My plan is to use it when one person is in the vehicle and one is scouting ahead EGchecking over a sand dune or across a creek. It saves yelling and using handsignals! I didn't see a use for purchasing two handhelds.

Unfortunately the vehicle is fitted with a TX3400 and that does not have the CTCSS but it seems like a useful bit of gear enabling a form of exclusivity when two compatible transmitters are used.

The range of the handheld is very good but I can't give you an exact figure. Line of sight is typical for these radios, but this refers to the curvature of the earth rather than actually "in view". I would expect that it is at least 1KM over flat ground. I am very impressed with the build quality and user friendly nature of both these GME radios.

The hand held is crystal clear in transmission and reception and so is the TX3400. I think that a good antenna installation in the vehicle really helps. Hand held radios for vehicle to vehicle coms would be restricted somewhat.

Kings
AnswerID: 168360

Follow Up By: Marn - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 05:12

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 05:12
The tx3400 are CTCSS enabled. I think it is a dealer programmable option.
Cheers
FollowupID: 423889

Reply By: Member - Alan (WA) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 00:36

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 00:36
Tony

I picked up the 650s today - comes in dual pack - cost $151. We already have tx3400 in car - but wanted something small and light for us or our two small kids to have when off walking / around site. Small enough to put in pocket - plus has thing for hanging around neck. Perfect size for the kids.

Only thing I will need for this is car charger.

Will try to remember to give you some feedback when we come back. Off for the weekend first up tomorrow.

Regards

Alan
AnswerID: 168424

Sponsored Links