Trailer

Submitted: Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 18:16
ThreadID: 33133 Views:2162 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
I am thinking about converting a 6x4 trailer for camping.My idea is to have a folding kitchen,slides for eskis and _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx for other odds and ends,we will not be sleeping in the trailer just use it for ease of having all gear together and kitchen readily available. Does anyone have pics of similar trailers or any ideas , does and dont's. Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kram remor - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 19:12

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 19:12
one thing that i did was to divide our (7*4) trailer into 2 sections by a sealed vertical divider accross the trailer. the top has 2 sealed lids using gas struts
1.the front section was to store gear.
2. the rear area was to store cooking equipment food etc. the reason for this is so we can pull up any where and open the rear tailgate( which we have hinged as a door and has a bench attached to cook or make lunch.the seals are critically important to keep dust out. it is very easy for us with 2 kids to open the rear, wash our hands, make lunch etc. by the way, our tent sits above the trailer for easy access and if it is wet it does not wet other items inside the trailer
hope this gives some basic ideas
AnswerID: 168371

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 19:23

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 19:23
Before you do anything ... make sure that it is strong enough for your purpose.
AnswerID: 168372

Reply By: V8Diesel - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 19:53

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 19:53
Just returned from a substantial trip towing my $100 dollar tandem box trailer.

Before I left I put on new hubs, bearings and seals (they cost $104 for all 4). Built a jerry can holder and esky locator out of scrap MDF and put a set of light truck tyres on. Built a dual spare carrier that sits on the A-frame out of RHS. I used the heavy duty Nylex tubs (not the cheapies) and they kept all our belongings dry and relatively dust free over some quite punishing terrain. A liberal application of silicone around the gaps / joints ensured it remained relatively dry, even when fording rivers well above the floor height. Fresh Rust-Guard paint, a good quality tarp and five ratchet straps later....it's a beauty. Never missed a beat and meant we could carry some more luxuries and travel in comfort.

The $28 grand I saved will buy a nice boat.

Make sure it is up to the task before you do anything, especially the draw bar, drive accordingly and you shouldn't have any dramas provided you exercise common sense.

Good luck!

AnswerID: 168380

Reply By: On Patrol - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 20:09

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 20:09
!MPG:33!

I have a tradesmans 6x4 that i put shelves in and added a kitchen shelf etc on the side that packs away when travelling + gerry can holders for water & fuel etc. this trailer while not 4x4 has been all over the place behind 2 different cars with no problems. However I am fussy about maintenance and check it over after each trip for potential problems and attend to them before they become big problems. No i would not take it along the Telegraph Track up to the Cape but then I would not take any trailer on such trips. It is perfect for camping weekends etc that I do a lot of, for a fraction of the price of a dedicated camping trailer.
AnswerID: 168385

Reply By: Member - mikeyandmary (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:29

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:29
We did a similar thing to a 7x5 a few years ago. (You could do the same to a 6x4)

We built a frame using steel tube (25x25x3mm) for corner posts and steel angle (25x25x3mm) to make a box frame. We bolted ours but you could weld if you had such knowledge (will learn one day). We covered the frame with steel sheet (a thin as possible (about 0.4mm I think???). This was riveted to the frame. Anyway... The result was a 7x5x5 enclosed trailer.

My advice... build it strong first go and it won't need fixing. Also, if you are using steel for the frame, go to a metal wholesaler. They have a much bigger range and (within reason) will cut it to approximate lengths. (Sims Metals is Sydney cut it with an oxy torch so you lose about 4cm per cut). You can also save about 30-40% by buying at these places.
AnswerID: 168439

Reply By: Member - ROTORD - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 09:59

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 09:59
Hello Jas4373

Have you considered raising the trailer by mounting the springs over the axle? Apart from better matching ground clearance to your tow vehicle , and matching wheels , the extra height may convince you to go to a slide out kitchen . Hitch may need redesigning to tow level , but you could go to a better hitch at the same time . Your trailer would be gaining some characteristics of an expensive off road trailer and would justify the cost of future improvements .
AnswerID: 168448

Reply By: jas4373 - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:44

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:44
Thanks to all who have replied. Gives me a bit to think about. But if anyone has close up pics of kithens or shelving set up's that would be great.
Thanks
AnswerID: 168697

Follow Up By: MartyB - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:59

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:59
Have a look at the campertrailers org, plus accociated Yahoo group.
Heaps of photos & ideas.

k

from Marty.
FollowupID: 424080

Follow Up By: MartyB - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 13:00

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 13:00
Might help if I gave the address.
www.campertrailers.org/
FollowupID: 424081

Sponsored Links