Roof Noise: After Installing Roof Rack to Troopy

Submitted: Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 21:12
ThreadID: 33136 Views:3179 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Recently installed an ARB 2.2m tradesman type roof rack having 3 legs on either side which fits into a channel slide.

Since installation, I have noticed a discernable noise (a moderate level bang) being emitted from the internal roof support that houses the courtesy light just behind the driver's head. The noise is not consistent in that it occurs sometimes when cornering or encountering bumps.

Initially it felt that something was moving within the support housing, but upon investingation I came to the conclusion that this could not be the case as there is no moving part. There was a degree of difficulty in undoing the roof support as after unscrewing the 2 x 2 screws the unit stayed in place because of a degree of pressure on either side, it was also difficult to refit.

I get the impression that the roof rack makes the roof more rigid, and I was surprised that there is a fair degree of flex in the roof (only the metal roof, and the plastic foam glued roof lining) and it may be that this flexing builds pressure and upon release the energy is released into the roof housing.

The roof rack is securely fitted and there is no discernable movement after standing on the roof/vigorously rocking with the assistance of others.

I have no concern that the roof rack will not do the job of carrying a spare tyre/tent/and other light misc gear: the only concern is the noise is a little off putting - have any other Troopy owners had a similar problem.

Thanks for any response.

George

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 21:19

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 21:19
"...I have no concern that the roof rack will not do the job of carrying a spare tyre/tent/and other light misc gear: the only concern is the noise is a little off putting - have any other Troopy owners had a similar problem...."

What problem? That a roofrack has more torsional stiffness that the Toyota chassis under it?
AnswerID: 168398

Reply By: greybeard - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 21:27

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 21:27
If your troopie is a 7x series, stand at the rear of the troopie, then a quick walk to the front. Observe what provides the torsional bracing of the body.

the windscreen. nothing else.
depending upon the model of your troopie you might see some increased metalwork/joins in the A pillars. The earlier 70 series cracked A pillars at the top and bottom of the windscreen and in between the front door hinges, if a rigid roof rack was fitted.
The 'banging' goes away once the A pillar has cracked. ( been there done that ;) )

There is considerable flex between the body and chassis on a troopie. A rigid roof rack prevents the roof from joining in, hence the banging noise. To reduce the effects of the roof rack, the rack needs to be able to flex diagonally with the body.
AnswerID: 168400

Follow Up By: Trooper_Geo - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 21:33

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 21:33
Thks Greybeard

I should have mentioned it's a 2004 RV troopy.

FollowupID: 423705

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 22:37

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 22:37
Now that's not what I wanted to hear...best back the fittings off a turn or two until I need to load it up perhaps?? The later models seem to have a bit more reinforcing higher in the windscreen pilar?? Something I will watch for anyway. Cheers
FollowupID: 423718

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 17:30

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 17:30
Trooper

Had my ARB roof rack from new 2003 RV it is the full rung type and we have had no problems only noise is from the wind

Good luck

Richard
AnswerID: 168476

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 19:36

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 19:36
Full lenghth roofrack (ex main roads) strong as anything, no noise,no cracks to pillars, mounted on 4 channel mounts,made of steel and weighs 43kg.---been on 4 troopys with no problems so if your are getting problems with a roof rack I would guess that it is because of poor design regardless of who supplied or sold it.I also carry a fair bit of stuff on the rack as well as I don't tow anything.The only thing I added was a perspex wind deflector which was not done for a noise problem but to possibly be better on fuel.
AnswerID: 168491

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 20:03

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 20:03
I have had ARB Racks on my Troopies for quite some time and no ill effect at all.
No noise other than an increase in wind whistling.

No body issues at all, no discernible flex as described by others.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 168494

Sponsored Links